• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Newest Crush Boy is an ANIMAL.

Thread derail
Disc golf is NOT an athletic competition like basketball, football, wrestling, running etc. Being athletic helps but it's not going to make you light years ahead of everyone else. Do you think superstars like LeBron would also be the best at golf, chess, or similar sports/activities that don't require extreme athleticism?

I'm not sure we can really say that until elite athletes (foolishly) forego football/basketball/etc careers to pursue disc golf. Who is DG's best athlete? Ben Askren? Not a high bar. Also I think DG (to compete professionally) requires a wee bit more athleticism than golf or chess. We actually jump occasionally, well until the stand and deliver nerds have it outlawed.

Getting back to the women/DG thing. I think it's mostly a commitment/culture thing. There are lots of sports/activities where women get stupidly competitive, like volleyball or dance. If disc golf had a hyper-competitive women's disc golf scene it would breed and cultivate better and better female discers. But disc golf isn't a very girly thing so getting that started is quite the task. I actually thought if anybody had a chance to kickstart FPO it would be someone like Holly Finley for associating beauty/women stuff with disc golf. A girl's idol from modeling, dance or something along those lines that gets a lot of eyes on social media becoming an elite disc golfer would probably do more for women's disc golf than a great player like Paige Bjerkaas crossing over into fields girls obsess over.

Basically for women's DG to grow it needs way better optics.

I'm not sure we can really say that until elite athletes (foolishly) forego football/basketball/etc careers to pursue disc golf. Who is DG's best athlete? Ben Askren? Not a high bar. Also I think DG (to compete professionally) requires a wee bit more athleticism than golf or chess. We actually jump occasionally, well until the stand and deliver nerds have it outlawed.

LOL WHAT??? Ben Askren is not a high bar for athleticism??? 4 time NCAA division 1 finalist and 2 time champion also a notable UFC fighter. And qualified for the olympics in wrestling....

Getting back to the women/DG thing. I think it's mostly a commitment/culture thing. There are lots of sports/activities where women get stupidly competitive, like volleyball or dance. If disc golf had a hyper-competitive women's disc golf scene it would breed and cultivate better and better female discers. But disc golf isn't a very girly thing so getting that started is quite the task. I actually thought if anybody had a chance to kickstart FPO it would be someone like Holly Finley for associating beauty/women stuff with disc golf. A girl's idol from modeling, dance or something along those lines that gets a lot of eyes on social media becoming an elite disc golfer would probably do more for women's disc golf than a great player like Paige Bjerkaas crossing over into fields girls obsess over.

Basically for women's DG to grow it needs way better optics.

There is so much "nope" in this post I'm not sure where to start with a response, lol.

LOL WHAT??? Ben Askren is not a high bar for athleticism??? 4 time NCAA division 1 finalist and 2 time champion also a notable UFC fighter. And qualified for the olympics in wrestling....

Nope. He sets a high bar for laying on top of people against their will.

Thread derail
Disc golf is NOT an athletic competition like basketball, football, wrestling, running etc. Being athletic helps but it's not going to make you light years ahead of everyone else. Do you think superstars like LeBron would also be the best at golf, chess, or similar sports/activities that don't require extreme athleticism?

I know at least one "real athlete" (football) who could throw 500 the second he picked up a destroyer- I would call that a real help.

Right? Gee, I wonder why more women don't play! *rolls eyes*

It looks to me like the female tour is growing slowly but surely which one could make a case that female divisions are seeing growth as a whole. What I think you mean is that you wonder why more women don't participate in this forum.

How did we go from admiring a 14 year old who absolutely crushes, to a bunch of guys offering suggestions to women on how to play and improve their game. Very interesting dynamic going on here.

It's an easy to understand deviation of the thread, at least easier than BBQ.

It looks to me like the female tour is growing slowly but surely which one could make a case that female divisions are seeing growth as a whole. What I think you mean is that you wonder why more women don't participate in this forum.

Look, everywhere in life there's an inversely proportional relationship with the percentage of dudes who don't know when to shut up and the concentration of women wanting to entertain their grandure. The more of the former, the fewer of the latter. Sports in general just have this thing where guys feel like the world cares what they think- people who aren't equally entrenched just think it's annoying.

I'd call Ben Askren a low bar in terms of disc golf experience - he just hasn't put in the time to really compare him to the elite guys in the sport. He's put in a lot of time, but he hasn't made it his job. So we can't really say whether his athleticism is at a place that he can show us whether or not its enough to be an advantage within the sport. He's just a normal local-pro caliber player in terms of what he's done, isn't he? Has he ever held steady in the 1000s? Hit 1010 rated? I know he's shot some individual rounds in the 1020s maybe 30s.

Troll detected, 2/10 would not rage

Wrestling is not a translatable type of athleticism to disc golf. You don't throw any objects in wrestling. Any college pitcher is probably more athletic in disc golf utility than a world class wrestler. This is why Ben Askren does not set a high bar for athleticism.

If being really strong and in good shape was so advantageous to disc golf then Avery Jenkins would probably be a lot bigger name. Basically disc golf has never seen someone like an Aroldis Chapman. That type would be a game-changing athlete in disc golf.

Latest posts