• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] The RDG Tyrant: fairway driver

Disclaimer: Noodle Arm with a puddle top Tyrant

First impressions of the tyrant: Very overstable. I was getting no turn and a relativity early fade. I would describe the fade as very gradual; it doesn't turn and burn. This makes it handy for anhyzers you need to flex out without having to worry about it flexing too soon like a firebird type disc.

I was hoping this was going to fly like a fairway driver version of a verdict, but I think the puddle top makes this too OS for this slot for me. I'll be getting another when the stamped ones come out and ask for a regular flat one.

Yeah the puddle topped ones are definitely a touch more OS than the flat ones.

The Tyrant is tentatively approved by the PDGA! We are just awaiting the official announcement. Work it into your bag with confidence and start beating these up!

Once we have some stamped I am going to split the category into a flat top and a puddle top so you can grab one of your preferred taste, or both if you want the duo.

I won a hole 19 playoff the other day with the heat Tyrant. It fought a nice headwind, leaned but never really turned and faded back to avoid a large Creek to the right of the basket.
PARKED for the win.

I hope this disc continues to find the hands of players. It isn't the Teebird clone that some folks thought it would be BUT it's exactly how I had dreamed it would fly. Beefy but rapidly becoming more workable while retaining a very reliable flight.

Been using this disc for forehands and overstable throws. I know initially said it was similar to an fd2, but I'm actually finding it to fly similar to an fd3 and really loving it on forehand shots. Just ordered another and requested a flat one to see how they compare to this puddled top one.

Hmmm... This makes me want to play a tourney with nothing but a RDG/Faction bag. Tyrant/Raptor/FLX Ptero/Amber Ptero/Andro C/Element Proto 3/Lithium/Serpent/Scale and DONE. Winner, winner, Ptero dinner!

Well... I guess the Proto 3 isn't approved yet... Maybe drop that.

Stamped Tyrants have arrived!
Whoa baby are these looking vicious

cOaY25t.jpg

Stamped Tyrants have arrived!
Whoa baby are these looking vicious

cOaY25t.jpg

Wow. That looks killer.

Maybe I should try out a flat topped one with a stamp. TBH I tried out the puddle topped one I got but I preferred my Star Viper.

Wow. That looks killer.

Maybe I should try out a flat topped one with a stamp. TBH I tried out the puddle topped one I got but I preferred my Star Viper.

It was as beefy as a Viper for you? Not what I want to hear.

Mine is like a Banshee that seasoned into a beefy Teebird.

It was as beefy as a Viper for you? Not what I want to hear.

Mine is like a Banshee that seasoned into a beefy Teebird.

I am not sure on the backhand it seemed to be but with a forehand it didn't. I think it was a grip thing. Personally I find puddle top discs mess with my backhand grip so I think I was getting a lot of early releases. It felt great with a forehand. I was getting about the same distance with the Tyrant as the Viper with a little less fade from the Tyrant on a forehand. That is why I want to try a non-puddle top to see if my grip is better. It was certainly more Banshee or Viper then TeeBird though.

I certainly don't think it was a bad disc and I can see it fitting in a lot of people's bags but at least for me, I think there is a decent amount of overlap with my Viper.

Last edited:
I am not sure on the backhand it seemed to be but with a forehand it didn't. I think it was a grip thing. Personally I find puddle top discs mess with my backhand grip so I think I was getting a lot of early releases. It felt great with a forehand. I was getting about the same distance with the Tyrant as the Viper with a little less fade from the Tyrant on a forehand. That is why I want to try a non-puddle top to see if my grip is better. It was certainly more Banshee or Viper then TeeBird though.

I certainly don't think it was a bad disc and I can see it fitting in a lot of people's bags but at least for me, I think there is a decent amount of overlap with my Viper.
I would say this is pretty accurate for me as well. And i have trouble with puddle top backhands.

Great stamp...reminds me of the art style from the old "Cadillacs and Dinosaurs" comic. Ill get probably two of the stamped ones next payday and shoot a review video on them.

For those who havent tried the Tyrant yet, you will LOVE this plastic blend. Cant wait to see what the future holds for this blend

Great stamp...reminds me of the art style from the old "Cadillacs and Dinosaurs" comic. Ill get probably two of the stamped ones next payday and shoot a review video on them.

For those who havent tried the Tyrant yet, you will LOVE this plastic blend. Cant wait to see what the future holds for this blend

We gotta get you an Andro C it uses the same blend. We are also working with RDG on our next blend a slightly stiffer transparent blend for those who prefer the opto/champ style plastic.

We gotta get you an Andro C it uses the same blend. We are also working with RDG on our next blend a slightly stiffer transparent blend for those who prefer the opto/champ style plastic.

Yeah all plastic kudos goes to Ozone for the formulation. Steve is an impressive force in DG design, that is for certain.

Yeah all plastic kudos goes to Ozone for the formulation. Steve is an impressive force in DG design, that is for certain.

Thanks man, total team effort! Awesome that it's finally complete. Now I just need a stamped one for my bag. Stamps turned out amazing by the way.

Latest posts