• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Another Workhorse Fairway Driver Thread

Another one for the Insanity. I have limited experience with them. But the one I got a couple months ago is getting a lot of throws and is going to make the bag. Someone else would have to explain the plastic options though. Not real familiar with the plastics yet.

I have been told the Infinite Centurion is very much like an FD or a TL but I can't verify that.

I carry two insanities. I will throw them wherever possible whenever possible. Love that mold!

^ Agree! Plasma Insanity is my workhorse fairway driver. Gentle turn, modest but reliable fade, versatile, sidearm-able, and often as long as my distance drivers. Neutron Insanity seemed a notch more stable than Plasma, so that might give you some versatility without adding a mold.

For background, my fairway lineup is Star TL (stable), Plasma Insanity (S-curve), and G* Roadrunner (understable), all around 157 grams. If I carried an OS driver it would probably be a Banshee or Resistor - I don't have the arm for a Firebird.

Star TL replaced S-Line FD replaced DX Teebird in my bag, if that helps. Unfortunately TL availability seems to be scarce at the moment. I tried a lightweight Stag briefly but it seemed more of a turn-and-fade disc rather than a straight-stable to fade disc for me.

TL and TL3 are similar, but I prefer the TL. You throw farther than me so you might be able to cover most fairway driver needs between the TL, TL3, Teebird, and Teebird3 in various plastics. Unless you are an Eagle person. :D

Good luck on the quest!

It's weird that you think the Leo3 is too narrow of a rim, but you'd be interested in the EagleX/L and Teebird/TL lines. They wouldn't feel much different. Also look at a stalker in this slot if the narrow rim doesn't scare you away.

Dropping a token mention for the Lift, which is my new favorite driver. It's more in that 'stable control driver' space instead of the 'stable fairway driver' but you also listed faster speed 8/9 discs so it's probably worth a look. Seems fairly widely available in several plastics, but I know nothing about their wear cycles. The OrionLF or LS might work for you too. The OLF is basically a speed 9 eagle, and available in 3 plastic lines stock. The LS is a little more sidewinder-ish, but not super flippy.

It's weird that you think the Leo3 is too narrow of a rim, but you'd be interested in the EagleX/L and Teebird/TL lines.

Thanks for the input. I bagged a Leo briefly before and it made my hand feel cramped. I'm not an Innova guy so correct me if I'm wrong -- but I thought the Leo3 was made from the Leo mold and just cooled differently to get a flat top. If I'm wrong and the Leo3 actually has a wider rim than the Leo, than I'd definitely be willing to try a Leo3 out. I've thrown Teebirds before and they are indeed a little on the narrow side for my taste, but not as bad as a Leo. I have no experience with Eagles or TLs, just trying to keep an open mind. I am assuming they won't be my favorite hand feel, but hopefully are a bit more workable as a tradeoff.

Discs I haven't tried but would like to:
-Essence.
-Sidewinder.
-TL/TL3.
-Exodus.

OK, based on responses both here and in the Exodus thread I am thinking that it is out of the running. And Essence is in such low stock everywhere that it is tough to seriously consider.

I have a buddy that throws TLs and used to throw Sidewinders, so I should be able to get my hands on both of those molds to test out. Continuing to read further, I am very intrigued by the DGA Pipeline. Videos on youtube are showing Proline Pieplines flying on nearly identical lines to my Stags. And I'm wondering if I were to grab a max weight Sparkle Pipeline if that would even get me that touch of added stability that would allow me to drop the Getaway. The stability gap between Pro and Sparkle plastics appears to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Keep the recommendations coming. At this point I think I will probably audition the Sidewinder, TL, and Pipeline. But I'm definitely open to more ideas

The Insanity is really workable for a 10 speed US driver. It's what I switch to from the Stag (flippy) when I go all gyro.

Hmmm so you've thrown a Stag, is the insanity really in the running? I just got a 157 cosmic neutron... powers down well but is it really less flippy than a stag? I wouldn't call the insanity flippy but it's not stable

Hmmm so you've thrown a Stag, is the insanity really in the running? I just got a 157 cosmic neutron... powers down well but is it really less flippy than a stag? I wouldn't call the insanity flippy but it's not stable

I think the Stag I've got is one of the more understable ones. It started out way closer to an Eagle L, TL, etc kind of disc than an Eagle, Teebird, Instinct, etc type. I usually hit it hard on a good amount of hyzer and let it flip up and drift or give it a lot of hyzer if I want just straight. If I throw it flat at all it absolutely sails into a turnover immediately (which I love for a lot of FHs around corners). The Insanity does the same thing but since it's a little faster (and not a glide machine like the Stag is) it's not quite as touchy even though it's understable. My longest used Insanity (Neutron) is definitely flippy and really similar to the Stag. I had a Plaz Insanity that had a really flat top that was laser straight. But my other 2 N Insanities are right there in the same ballpark with the others and fly like my Stag used to. I just got a Cosmic Neutron and it seems consistent with the others (my first day with it was really windy so hard to get a gauge on it).

Interesting... thanks man.. I played tonight with the insanity and at 157 I can definitely use it for fairway, I didn't have a chance to really try and crush it. The way everyone talks about it makes me wonder. Seems like a good flip to flat disc if it's in your speed range, a little goofy next to an inertia but in a good way.. I don't know if "broken in inertia" is the right description It's like a little less disc with a nice panning fade right out of the box, other times a nice short drop. I had a plasma I almost got broke in but it was a crappy color and 10g heavier.

Last edited:
I think the Stag I've got is one of the more understable ones. It started out way closer to an Eagle L, TL, etc kind of disc than an Eagle, Teebird, Instinct, etc type. I usually hit it hard on a good amount of hyzer and let it flip up and drift or give it a lot of hyzer if I want just straight. If I throw it flat at all it absolutely sails into a turnover immediately (which I love for a lot of FHs around corners). The Insanity does the same thing but since it's a little faster (and not a glide machine like the Stag is) it's not quite as touchy even though it's understable. My longest used Insanity (Neutron) is definitely flippy and really similar to the Stag. I had a Plaz Insanity that had a really flat top that was laser straight. But my other 2 N Insanities are right there in the same ballpark with the others and fly like my Stag used to. I just got a Cosmic Neutron and it seems consistent with the others (my first day with it was really windy so hard to get a gauge on it).

Wow, thanks for the detailed writeup. Honestly the Insanity wasn't even on my radar, partially because I had tried out the next disc over in the Axiom lineup (Virus) and absolutely hated it. I also remember being really disappointed by the Tesla, so based on those two data points I kind of wrote off gyro fairways. But the disc flight you are describing is pretty appealing, so I am going to look into the Insanity more.

I have a Gstar TL. It is very straight with a hint of fade - way less fade than my well used c-line FD (and less turn). Interesting that TL is also good into mild headwind. I also have a Champ TL3 that adds the most baby amount of turn (not as much turn as a beat Star Eagle) and not quite as much distance as the TL, but the same tiny fade.

The Gstar TL is in the bag. So is the Star Eagle, when more fade is needed.

Star Teebird between 165-170 should be straight enough for you.

At my power and elevation combo, a Teebird isn't what I'd consider "workable" (I've got a couple 'Birds that I don't bag and I already tried them back out again). Ideally, I'm looking for a mold that can hold an anny but can still cover that Teebird straight-to-panning fade if released with hyzer. Basically something like an FD, where they usually come out with lateral wriggle but you can find some that have a touch of added beef.

Stag had been that mold for me -- the max weight pop top Stags start off pretty darn close to a Teebird, but most Stags you will find fly like an FD. The problem is that I haven't had a pop top heavy Stag in months, and my Stag supply took another hit this week. So the search is on :(

They are supposed to run the Stag this year...maybe we get some soon.

Star Teebird between 165-170 should be straight enough for you.

I agree with this suggestion. Star Teebirds are very consistent and going down in weight reliably decreases stability.

dx Teebirds are good too, especially if you don't mind bagging several of the same mold. I have heavy star Teebird and then a bunch of dx Teebirds for various levels of turn. Plus they are cheap and plentiful.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the detailed writeup. Honestly the Insanity wasn't even on my radar, partially because I had tried out the next disc over in the Axiom lineup (Virus) and absolutely hated it. I also remember being really disappointed by the Tesla, so based on those two data points I kind of wrote off gyro fairways. But the disc flight you are describing is pretty appealing, so I am going to look into the Insanity more.

Best comparable for the Plasma Insanity is a Star Valkyrie, in my experience. Insanity bears no relation to Virus or Tesla.

Best comparable for the Plasma Insanity is a Star Valkyrie, in my experience. Insanity bears no relation to Virus or Tesla.

Virus was horrible for me -- when it flipped it would pan 40'+ to the right, but then randomly I would have throws where it didn't flip at all. Just super touchy to try and find that perfect power/release angle combo. I love throwing hyzerflips but it was the most difficult hyzerflip disc to dial in I have ever thrown. Hated it.

Tesla was better but just didn't stack up to the competition. It looked good in the air, was nice and controllable, but when measured against similar discs (Getaways and Thunderbirds) it was consistently 15'-20' short. It just didn't give me the distance that I want in that type of disc.

I watched some youtube videos last night on the Insanity due to all the recommendations, and it does look like the flight that I want. I may have to try gyro fairways one more time.

Virus was horrible for me -- when it flipped it would pan 40'+ to the right, but then randomly I would have throws where it didn't flip at all. Just super touchy to try and find that perfect power/release angle combo. I love throwing hyzerflips but it was the most difficult hyzerflip disc to dial in I have ever thrown. Hated it.

Yes I think I threw the Virus maybe twice before saying, "Nah".

Tesla was short for me, but most OS discs are short for me. :rolleyes:

I could see that comparison, I was wondering last night if the insanity feels/flies like a stable roadrunner. Something about it makes it feel wide rim even though it isn't any bigger than the inertia, but it's advertised as a "broken in inertia" . I dunno, this is only the second one I've had, hoping for a one/two combo. I own a bunch of inertia and they have been a workhorse since they came out anyhow...

You are right it is nothing like a virus/vanish nor the Tesla. It's a nice in the middle driver, lower power requirement, fairway to max distance, holds a decent turn and minimal or panning fade... with all the love it gets here I thought I'd try it again, I need something in between my relay and tesla that will throw with a touch less power than the inertia or at least get some flip up or flat stretched anny lines as opposed to a tight S.

I really hope I can keep it long enough to properly break it in this time. Teebird wasn't for me either, too fussy and different, I like broken in one's but don't want to do the work.... Don't get me started again. This already looks like a novella

Last edited:
They are supposed to run the Stag this year...maybe we get some soon.

I reach out to DD a couple times per month to see if they have a shipment on the way. Each time the answer has been "no." :( I'm not 100% sure I am moving on from the mold, but it's been long enough that my eyes are wandering and I am at least willing to open audition a few other discs.

And having Stags unavailable for so long has given me time to analyze my fairways more. I would really like to trim down to three fairway molds, rather than four. And I think the easiest way to do that would be to replace the Stag with a similar mold that stays fresh just a touch longer. I'm not one to complain about Trilogy breaking in too fast, as in general I think it's a good thing as it allows me to cycle easier. But The Felon to Stag gap is already pretty big, so I need my Stag slot to stay fresh longer. That, or I just keep a cluttered fairway lineup of multiple Felons, a Getaway, multiple Stags, and a Hatchet. Felons and TLs, or Felons and Pipelines just seems like a cleaner lineup. If I can cover all my lines with fewer molds it is a good thing.

Latest posts