• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Another Workhorse Fairway Driver Thread

aphilso1

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I am thinking about moving on from my workhorse fairway driver mold, the Stag. Availability was low even pre-COVID, and now in times of further reduced inventory I am getting the old wandering eye. For reference, my current fairway lineup is as follows:
Lucid-X Felon 9/10 (utility OS)
Biofuzion Felon 7/10 (primary FH driver; hard fade BH shots)
Getaway 6/10 (basically the Teebird slot. Control driver with reliable fade and a moderate amount of wind fighting ability)
Stag 9/10 (workhorse BH -1 turn/2 fade)
Stag 6/10 (workhorse BH -2 turn/1 fade; get out of jail FH disc)
Hatchet 5/10 (utility US)

Replacement criteria:
1. Availability in various plastic types. If I am going to consider replacing the Stag, then ideally I would want to reduce molds at the same time. So I'd either like to switch to something that is slightly more stable than a Stag to steal the Getaway slot (and then use a less stable plastic in lighter weight to cover Stag shots) or roughly equal to Stag stability (so that the less stable plastic in lighter weight could possibly steal the Hatchet utility US slot).
2. Workability. This is a slot in the bag that I like to put on a variety of angles and be able to power up/down.
3. Hand feel. For my paws, a slightly wider rim feels better. I recognize that this typically contradicts my Workability criteria, hence why the Stag has been such a unicorn mold for me.

I am already familiar with quite a few of the popular options.
-FDs are nice, but availability has been spotty for them too. Plus, I would want a P-FD for less stability to go along with a max weight C-FD and 170ish S-FD, and they don't make P-FDs. Rim is a little narrow for my taste but I could adjust. The FD is probably the closest to what I want out of discs I have tried.
-Leopard & Leopard3 – hate the narrow rim. Like really, really hate it.
- Escape is too fast. I bagged Escapes prior to Stags, and they just don't power down the way I want to use them.
-Saint – See comment on Escape. Also, plus rim shenanigans are not cool.

Discs I haven't tried but would like to:
-Essence. In the hand this really feels a lot like a Stag. And based on reviews it could be the most apples-to-apples Stag replacement, but availability is low and I don't think I would get the mold minimizing aspect that I'm looking for.
-Sidewinder. It's been long enough since I've thrown one that I don't really remember it. While listed as a Speed 9, I recall the rim being a little more manageable than a lot of the newer Speed 9 discs. Could a max weight Champ SW cover straight-to-fade shots? If so, then I could see 2-3 Sidewinders replacing both my Getaway and my Stags. This one is really intriguing.
-TL/TL3. Since I live at elevation and only throw fairways 300' on average, I'm pretty sure a TL or TL3 could cover straight-to-fade shots. My question is whether I can find one off the shelf with enough turn to fly like a Stag. Are Pro TLs or Pro TL3s a thing?
-Exodus. I've never thrown Eagle-Ls, but supposedly the E-L is just a tick more stable than a fresh Stag. And supposedly the Exodus is the second coming of the Eagle-L. I have two concerns: first, is the I-Blend a possible replacement for the -2 turn/1 fade beat Stag slot, and second, how often are Exoduses run? There are some S and I Blends still available, but they appear pretty picked over given what weights are left. And I am leery of committing to an Innova-made mold that isn't Innova branded, since those discs seem to be really low priority on the production calendar.

I'm happy to hear any and all recommendations, but those are the molds that are most intriguing to me.

Last edited:
Well since I'm not familiar with the stag or your list of wanted choices I checked the disc comparison matrix at infinite...

What about an undertaker or volts?

The undertaker seems pretty popular, you have probably tried a volt... seems a fission volt or two (light and medium weight) might fit but I dunno

Hi. You want the Eagle mold. Buy some Gstar Eagle Ls from Innova pro shop right now, just in case you love them later.

Champ Eagle-X is super overstable (rumors, no experience)
Star Eagle-X starts overstable, becomes very long straight with fade. Good in wind.
DX Eagle-X starts stable, becomes straight. Not good in wind except tailwind.
DX Eagle-L is a hyzerflip monster, but touchy. Long, high anhyzers forever. No wind.
Gstar Eagle-L is laser straight with some fade. Wind OK.

I haven't thrown a Star Eagle-L or Gstar Eagle-X. But you get the point. Tons of plastics for every shot in one mold.

I started a thread here recently looking to maybe replace my FD's for the same reason. You might find it because there are a lot of recommendations in that thread. Good luck.

Well since I'm not familiar with the stag or your list of wanted choices I checked the disc comparison matrix at infinite...

What about an undertaker or volts?

The undertaker seems pretty popular, you have probably tried a volt... seems a fission volt or two (light and medium weight) might fit but I dunno

I considered Volts but their PDGA approval specs scare me(2.0cm rim/1.4 height sounds faster than what I want).
I thought Undertakers were in the same boat, but looking up their PDGA specs and they are actually identical to the Stag's 1.9cm rim/1.8cm height. So that is appealing. I'm not super familiar with Discraft plastics, but do they have something that is a little less stable a la Innova Pro, or DD Biofuzion, or Westside Recycled?

Hi. You want the Eagle mold. Buy some Gstar Eagle Ls from Innova pro shop right now, just in case you love them later.

Champ Eagle-X is super overstable (rumors, no experience)
Star Eagle-X starts overstable, becomes very long straight with fade. Good in wind.
DX Eagle-X starts stable, becomes straight. Not good in wind except tailwind.
DX Eagle-L is a hyzerflip monster, but touchy. Long, high anhyzers forever. No wind.
Gstar Eagle-L is laser straight with some fade. Wind OK.

I haven't thrown a Star Eagle-L or Gstar Eagle-X. But you get the point. Tons of plastics for every shot in one mold.

How do you know if a disc is an E-X or E-L? Most online shops just say "Eagle" and don't tell you which mold variant it is.

I started a thread here recently looking to maybe replace my FD's for the same reason. You might find it because there are a lot of recommendations in that thread. Good luck.

Yep, I read the whole thing. It was a good starting point that got me researching some previously not considered molds (like the Essence and Sidewinder). I am hoping for some more specific info though, such as my questions about how much stability separation I can expect from a heavy stable plastic to light midgrade plastic.

While it's a little more stable, I recommend trying a Vulture.

I would place the Vulture here on speed, stability, workability spectrum:

Teebird or equivalent--- Vulture ---Thunderbird or equivalent.

I think it is truly a faster-fairway without the demand of some of the other control drivers like Thunderbird, PD, Orion LF etc. You should be able to cover several stabilities with the different plastics, while covering the same distances; it is sneaky long.

The only drawback is the feel. Some people don't like the feel of the bottom lip. If it is a problem, it takes some time to get use to it. Otherwise, it's not a big deal.

So basically you need to either buy in person or see a side profile picture?

An online shop selling Eagles will all be X. Search for Eagle L (browser) to find them. Or just go to Innova pro shop website where they are clearly labeled, at the expense of paying a little higher shipping. And there you can also buy Factory 2nds for $11.

Another vote for the eagle X. You could get a champ and a couple in DX and you'll have overstable - understable covered. Beat up Eagles are fantastic turnover discs. I used to bag an escape - eagle is a slower more controllable escape imo - dx Eagles have the glide to get them out to escape distances but power down really well.

Also- I wouldn't bother trying to find to try to find the L mold. X in cheaper plastic is going to beat into the "L" slot in no time

An online shop selling Eagles will all be X. Search for Eagle L (browser) to find them. Or just go to Innova pro shop website where they are clearly labeled, at the expense of paying a little higher shipping. And there you can also buy Factory 2nds for $11.

That sounds like exchanging a current frustration (no inventory in Stags) for a future one (accidently buying E-Xs rather than E-Ls). Have you tried the Exodus? That what the appeal of the Exodus is-- being able to buy an Eagle-L and know for 100% certainty that it's not an Eagle-X. However, it has its own drawbacks. Seems like all of the companies that Innova manufactures for aren't getting enough production time, so I'm not sure if I really want to start relying on an Infinite mold. But if the Exodus stock ever gets back to normal levels, then it would be very appealing to try. I think a max weight C-Blend could be a Getaway replacement, and low weight I-Blend basically a Stag.

That sounds like exchanging a current frustration (no inventory in Stags) for a future one (accidently buying E-Xs rather than E-Ls). Have you tried the Exodus? That what the appeal of the Exodus is-- being able to buy an Eagle-L and know for 100% certainty that it's not an Eagle-X. However, it has its own drawbacks. Seems like all of the companies that Innova manufactures for aren't getting enough production time, so I'm not sure if I really want to start relying on an Infinite mold. But if the Exodus stock ever gets back to normal levels, then it would be very appealing to try. I think a max weight C-Blend could be a Getaway replacement, and low weight I-Blend basically a Stag.

I hear ya. I haven't thrown a Star EL, but I have thrown an Exodus. The Exodus is similar stability to my well seasoned Star EX. The Exodus is less stable than a new-ish Gstar EL. It flies like a new DX EX.

For the Exoduses I have had the I blend can fly Stag lines but had a huge dome that made the feel less appealing to me. Good glide and a bit of turn.

The C line I had was flatter and pretty stable and had less glide. I didn't like it very much overall, it wasn't much longer than a mid for me.

Another vote for the eagle X. You could get a champ and a couple in DX and you'll have overstable - understable covered. Beat up Eagles are fantastic turnover discs. I used to bag an escape - eagle is a slower more controllable escape imo - dx Eagles have the glide to get them out to escape distances but power down really well.

Also- I wouldn't bother trying to find to try to find the L mold. X in cheaper plastic is going to beat into the "L" slot in no time

Does Innova ever run the Eagle-X in Pro?

Does Innova ever run the Eagle-X in Pro?

I have seen it, but not in a while. Back in 2014/15 I think they had a special blend pro in the pro shop but I haven't seen any in a while.

Yup can't distinguish online between Eagle X/L or watch someone like MST .. Who actually knows the difference.. Don't even get me started on that, next thing you know I will be ranting about the 20 flavours of aviar!

From the way I understand it they took the traditional dx mold and tweeked the bottom lip to translate to the brand new champion plastic same thing with Firebird an FL... my old Pro candy firebird is actually and FL.. I bought 4 "backups" but none of em flew right. by the time someone told me it was an L underwing (FL) not an X (FB) I was past my love affair.

Not sure about the Volt.. I like them but they are only available in weights under 170g in fission.. All the other plastics are 170g+... but a 165 fission can do a lot it's redundant with a Crave but better. Very Teebird and very awesome, I'm not really cracking 300' much these days so I've scaled back to Craves. If I was still 350' I'd drop the crave for my fr volts in a heartbeat!

Last edited:

Latest posts