• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Twitch of the Hips

RoDeO

Captain Oblivous!
I have had a hard time trying to relate to others the timing and impact of the turning of the hips in generating power. When I used to play RHBH with my dominant arm there was this tendency to pull the disc withmt right arm and then let everything drag through. Then I saw a video where one needed to generate power with their hips. So, evwn though I was going through the motions I was still strongarming the disc. I ended up damaging my forearm around my elbow and had to stop playing. I was impatient with recovery so I completely started over and learned to throw LHBH. For the first time I could feel my arm being whipped. I stumbled upon this video this morning with Nate Sexton and Paul Mcbeth and they said something that reinforces my philosophy.

https://youtu.be/U0gzNIRxRbY

Around the 5:00 minute mark they talk about the motion or twitch and rotation of the hip initiating shoulder rotation. I think the feeling is important in knowing if you are strongarming the disc or allowing the hip twitch initial rotation to move the shoulder and activate the torso in whipping the arm through. With strongarming the disc you never feel the backside of the shoulder and arm being pulled by that initial twitch when the arm is still in the reachback position. There has been some debate as to when this twitch or initial rotation of the hips begin. According to Paul Mcbeth and Nate Sefton in the video that twitch or rotation begins at front foot contact with the arm in full reachback but before weight shift. When you get the sequence right you should feel like your shoulder is being pulled from reachback, into the power pocket, and into release. That pull feel on the backside of the shoulder should be a steady buildup from reachback until release.

DrewGibson talks about that.

The idea is you lower body leads. It's like a wave from foot to finger tip. Hence whip.

Another thing I'm noticing is that it appears almost counterintuitive to our philosophy but the acceleration of the disc begins at reachback and not at the power pocket.

Another thing I'm noticing is that it appears almost counterintuitive to our philosophy but the acceleration of the disc begins at reachback and not at the power pocket.

The motion from reach back to pocket, if the disc were released at the chest, would be only enough to flutter the disc a small distance. To say acceleration starts at reach back is technically correct, but the overwhelming power development in the shot comes from chest out. (Edit: chest out, propelled by hip/shoulder rotation, to clarify)

Last edited:
I completely started over and learned to throw LHBH. For the first time I could feel my arm being whipped.

I am strongly right hand dominant and strongly left hand uncoordinated.

A few years back I injured the rotator cuff throwing boomerangs and I played disc golf left handed a bit.

I did not attempt power pocket or an elbow hinge. (I hadn't heard the terms then) I just threw left handed like a tennis backhand, mostly straight arm and as relaxed as I could get it. This actually worked pretty well. I guess now that would be called wide rail, though again I hadn't heard the term at the time.

So my guess is that a wide rail shot requires a little less precision in timing and is a little harder to muscle, and it ends up being easier to coordinate with the less dominant hand, and you end up getting more body and less strong arm into it.

https://youtu.be/U0gzNIRxRbY

According to Paul Mcbeth and Nate Sefton in the video that twitch or rotation begins at front foot contact with the arm in full reachback but before weight shift.

I don't think anyone cares if you are too stubborn to take the advice of all the people who told you this isn't correct...but going and starting separate threads and trying to teach others your poor form isn't cool man. Point me to the place where Paul and Nate say that you should start rotating your hips before weight shift? Paul is demonstrating how he can push his hips forward to move his arm and his weight is on his back leg as he's showing this idea. That doesn't mean he's driving like this. Look at his actual throw. All 4 of these pros have their front heels on the ground before they rotate and swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul discusses it at around the 5 minute mark, Nate talks about it at the 6:20 mark. They speak of that twitch. This is when the disc is still back and clearly before their heel is on the ground. They speak of that first few inches of the pull from reachback begin with the rotation of the hips. That happens before the heel comes down into a strong brace.

Last edited:
Horrible tip video. Not much I can say. We're not bowling folks.

ubuer3F.png

vgUGd4W.png

Yeah, the majority of the top 10 disc golf pros do not throw like that. The top two- Mcbeth and Heimberg don't throw like that.
Feldberg was player of the decade.
Schusterick top bowling pic was former #1 player 3x USDGC champ.
Lizotte is the bottom bowling pic.