• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] The Westside Shield

Threw said Sheild into a lake today - I had made a couple sick 20-30 footers into a 20 mph wind that let me giddy. Tried the same putt shooting toward water, big mistake as it was a crosswind putt, and a gust blew it out into the drink. I'll miss this one.

I don't quite understand how Shield does it, but it works. It feels like a slow glideless brick, but it still flies as far if not longer than the Pure and wont care about most winds.

I've really grown fond of the TP Shield as it is quite overstable so I can put all my power into it in all conditions and it still goes 275-290 on a straight line with a solid fade at the end. In most conditions the Medium will fly the same, but on a frozen rope.

For putting the Medium seems to work better than anything else I've tried. Even in some swirly winds, the Shield seems to hold its' line without any abrupt up and down movement.

It's just a strange disc as it overachieves my tempered expectations every time.

EDIT: Guess what I'm trying to say is, that I fully understand why people may not fall in love with it at first but if you give it a real chance it will deliver.

I don't quite understand how Shield does it, but it works. It feels like a slow glideless brick, but it still flies as far if not longer than the Pure and wont care about most winds.
Exactly.

Yea I actually did notice this when I played with my buddy who bags mercys. They're pretty similar feel

It's kinda like the beadless Aviar and P2. Very similar feel, with the Shield being a beefed up Mercy.

EDIT: Guess what I'm trying to say is, that I fully understand why people may not fall in love with it at first but if you give it a real chance it will deliver.

That is the truth - it's a disc that is definitely worth taking the time to get to know.

Agreed, I hated it initially but I kept using it occasionally. I still don't like it for touch upshots where the fade and slightly less glide come into play...but it's a very good driving putter. If thrown 70%+ power it just holds the line and doesn't fade until the very end, and the fade is subdued. As much as it seems like it may not go very far from how it flies on low powered shots, this putter really powers up well. It handles wind great as everyone has said.

I tried it out but stuck with my judges for putting and upshots. As I started to turn my judges over more and more, the shield filled in perfectly. Can really put a lot into it and it goes straight with a little fade, I still use the judge for putting though. The Macana is REALLY close to the shield also. Virtually identical profile but a touch straighter. The Macana has a convex rim, whereas the shield curves inward. I may use the Macana for straighter touch shots and the Shield for those all out putter bombs or windy upshots.

The Macana is REALLY close to the shield also. Virtually identical profile but a touch straighter. The Macana has a convex rim, whereas the shield curves inward. I may use the Macana for straighter touch shots and the Shield for those all out putter bombs or windy upshots.
The Macana is the one disc I'm looking forward to the most atm. I've had a chance to hold it in my hand and even though I hate beads, it is not very noticeable on the Macana. Like you said the feel is very close to the Shield.

I think those two could completely cover your putter shots and putting with just two mold which even feel similar. Pretty ideal situation if it works out.

Any info on when Macana will be available in normal production molds?

If they release the Macana in the Zero Hard, I might be dropping my Shields. Really liked the beaded feel plus it was much straighter than the Shield with just as much LSS.

Funny, I just played a Trilogy Challenge and got a Macana as part of the pack.

I *HATED* that disc with a passion. Gave it to my buddy the next day. Too stiff, and that bead was awful it kept getting hung up on my fingers and flipping off to the right. :( Then again I do NOT like beaded putters, I use a Soft Proton Anode (in the circle) and a Neutron Proxy (driver/upshots) and they feel great in my hand too. I can't throw my BB Aviar worth a damn.

On the other hand, I just found a BT Soft Shield. HOLZY MOLY!! This disc fits in my hand like a glove. I grew up putting with an old Sanny Omega SS and the BT Soft feels like my 15 yr old beat to hell SS - right off the bat. Soft, supple and goes right where I point it.

I'm going to play 18 at the Scrapyard this afternoon, and if the shield does what I think it'll do it's gonna be an instant addition to my bag!

Let me preface this.... I have the hands of a 5 year old girl Hobbit.

But, normally I putt and throw upshots with Lat 64 Pures in Opto/Recycled GL. I figured I would try out a Shield and compare. Ugh. The Shield has to be one of the most uncomfortable putters I have ever touched. I just could not hang onto it. On to the next, I guess.

But, normally I putt and throw upshots with Lat 64 Pures in Opto/Recycled GL. I figured I would try out a Shield and compare. Ugh. The Shield has to be one of the most uncomfortable putters I have ever touched. I just could not hang onto it. On to the next, I guess.

It took me awhile to get used too as well. Stick with it.

The above is probably the key point here.

Shield is quite/very deep profiled putter and may feel strange for someone with smaller hands. You're situation is one of the few where I would agree that the best move is to look for something else.

Ya, there is NO WAY I could stick with the Shield and not have to relearn everything I do with a Putter. It is just a Giant bucket lid, in my tiny girl hand. I was REALLY Surprised with the difference in rim depth, and Flight, compared to the Pure. Glad I tried it, but not sticking with it.

Coming from Wizards, the Shield is actually pretty seamless transition wise. Similar depth.

I love all things P2 and am not planning on switching putters but what's the deal with the shield? It seems to be compared to the p2 with more glide but kinda sounds magnet-ish in feel? Anybody compare the P2 and Shield side by side? Thoughts?

I love all things P2 and am not planning on switching putters but what's the deal with the shield? It seems to be compared to the p2 with more glide but kinda sounds magnet-ish in feel? Anybody compare the P2 and Shield side by side? Thoughts?

Less glidey p2 sounds about right. Even in base plastic, it starts pretty OS and it has an incredible live span. I've noticed a similarity with the Mercy so one could call the Shield the Mercy OS if you will.

Shield isn't that deep - Inbounds lists it at 1.4 cm, same as Pure, Swan 2, Magnet, Anode, PA1, Envy.

Aviar PnA is 1.5, Challenger and Ion are 1.6, Wizard a whopping 1.8.

There super shallow jobs like the Ringer, Summit, and Colt that are shallower, but 1.4 is on the shallow/normal side for most putters.

It feels quite deep. Have you held one?

*edit*

Looking at your posts, you have. Then you should know it feels much deeper than a pure at the very least. Definitely the envy and pa1 too. And wizards feel much shallower than ions and anodes. You can find them flatter as well. Specs don't help a whole lot.

Last edited:
The shield definitely does have a different feel than most putters. But there really isn't any kind of learning curve, just throw it like you've thrown other putters, the feel shouldn't change the way you throw.

Has anyone tried out the premium plastic shields? How would they compare to medium shields, because thats what I bag now, and would possibly replace my BT harps if the Premium shields flew a bit more OS than medium shields.