• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] This Hydra can fly!

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I was at the practice field this afternoon just doing some test throws, and I took out my Hydra. I usually only use it for putting and approaching near water, but I decided to give it a test fly across the field.

I was amazed. This thing out flew my Magnet. I was able to throw it about 210ft. I was quite surprised how well it flew and how much glide it has. I am going to use it now for long straight approaches as well as long approaches near and around water. If you haven't thrown one of these, check it out. Its a great disc.

I never hear anyone talk about the hydra, might have to give it a go. Does it have a bead?

I can't speak for the Bulldog reference, but I've had a couple Hydras and they've both been DX. I had them long before R-Pro was introduced, as far as I remember.

I've had a Hydra in my bag when I play a course with water for a while, now. It doesn't have a bead. The closest thing in my bag that it flies like would be my Star Aviar Driver. I don't throw it much because I like throwing my Aviars so much and it seems to kind of overlap in my bag unless I'm worried about the water.

It's flies a bit over-stable for me, although I'm sure that someone with better form/more power would probably flip it pretty easily. Because of this, I didn't used to like it at all the first couple years that I played. I didn't understand that a stable disc wasn't a bad thing. :doh:

I absolutely loved my r pro hydra, excellent for straight or slightly stable approaches.... Until I nicked chains on a short ace run (Moser #8) and landed in a creek behind the basket, except due to heavy rains the previous day that creek had turned into a raging river, I got there just in time to watch my hydra float away. I've been too devastated to buy a new one yet

I keep my R Pro Hydra in the bag all the time. Even if there is no water on the course...

I was at the practice field this afternoon just doing some test throws, and I took out my Hydra. I usually only use it for putting and approaching near water, but I decided to give it a test fly across the field.

I was amazed. This thing out flew my Magnet. I was able to throw it about 210ft. I was quite surprised how well it flew and how much glide it has. I am going to use it now for long straight approaches as well as long approaches near and around water. If you haven't thrown one of these, check it out. Its a great disc.

Told ya so!! :D;) I love driving with that disc! It's also a little more forgiving if one should brush up against a tree. It's one of my favorites!

It's the creepy not quite r-pro not quite dragon wax lips plastic that keeps me away.

My DX Hydra is fairly overstable, I'll use it approaching in a fairly strong headwind as well as around water. It is an underrated disc indeed!

I had a hydra for 30 minutes. I let my dad borrow it and he made a 50 foot putt to beat Thrembo with it and it is now his :) (sorry Thrembo)

carried one to the beach last year and threw it in 35+ gusts it was AWESOME flew nicely and can get on regular day around 250-260 with, its nice but ill never own that waxy sob.

I always have my Hydra in my bag. Don't know why its always talked down.

RProHydra.jpg

Last edited:
The Hydra is either the Bulldog mold with a different name, or a very slightly tweaked Bulldog. Can't remember which...

For all the love the Bulldog has gotten, the Hydra does have a bad rap. The initial plastic they molded it in (before R-Poop) is actually fairly durable and nice and grippy. If I didn't have a stockpile of 1000 Aviars I'd probably have put the Hydra in my bag.

Is the hydra an r-pro bulldog?

Actually the hydra was like 98% a bulldog before...and then it recently became r-pro...but still the same 98% bulldog..

What's the other 2% ? nobody knows...but it's SLIGHTLY different...trust me...we've been over this on DGR before...

But for all intents and purposes..hyrda = bulldog = a floating putt and approach disc that gets a bad rap = a pretty decent disc.

\/\/

I never hear anyone talk about the hydra, might have to give it a go. Does it have a bead?

I have used my Hydra (because of water) 5 times in tournaments and carded 5-2's Its fade is extremly predictable...its just not as versitile as a Rhyno for me so it doesnt find its way in my bag except for water courses.

I have used my Hydra (because of water) 5 times in tournaments and carded 5-2's Its fade is extremly predictable...its just not as versitile as a Rhyno for me so it doesnt find its way in my bag except for water courses.

It's good for what it does...but it only does a few things well...if you've got room in the bag...it's a great addition...personally I'd like to keep 4 putters in there anyway...so no room for me.

Great catch disc too.

\/\/