• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thoughts on a Legacy Patriot?

UncleBrother2001

aka Starfirebird/Uncle Matt
I'm might be trying a Patriot soon but have never thrown one.

I have Rivers in my bag,but they can be flippy at times which can be a pain. They are still great discs though.

I have thrown Leopards in the past as well,they were not as flippy as the Rivers and I could really put the power down on them.

Would you say you could compare the Patriot to a River or a Leopard?

Rivers can get squirrely in any kind of wind. Add in the huge glide and it's not a good combination. I eventually found the River useless on most courses, but a blast to throw at fields.

Patriot should compare more closely to the Leopard than the River. I haven't throw a Patriot, but have handled a few, and it appears to me they would be able to handle more power than a Leopard...a little wider rim, a little more stable.

BentElbow11 said:
Rivers can get squirrely in any kind of wind. Add in the huge glide and it's not a good combination. I eventually found the River useless on most courses, but a blast to throw at fields.

Patriot should compare more closely to the Leopard than the River. I haven't throw a Patriot, but have handled a few, and it appears to me they would be able to handle more power than a Leopard...a little wider rim, a little more stable.

Cool that's good to know man. I've never handled one before so I was hoping they would seem a bit more stable.

They're rated a little more stable than the Leopard...per 'Inbounds' and also reviews. 1.8cm rim width compared to 1.6cm for the Leopard. Which makes me think the Patriot might be more like a stable-understable Teebird than a Leopard.

Patriots are my favorite driver to come out in the last few years. They are like old CE Leopards with a slight bump in speed. Just plain stable and break in for super smooth turns.

dgdave said:
Patriots are my favorite driver to come out in the last few years. They are like old CE Leopards with a slight bump in speed. Just plain stable and break in for super smooth turns.

Dude I'm sold now. :D

BentElbow11 said:
Pinnacle, Pinnacle!

Will be next on my list for sure. :lol:

I went with a Icon just because I have a Pinnacle in my Rival. I'm sure the Flight between the Icon and Pinnacle shouldn't vary that much.

The Patriot is the first Legacy disc I threw, and my favorite. It's a disc that can take a lot of spin, and loves to fly on all sorts of lines. It's the best shot makers disc to come out since the PD for me.

Also, Pinnacle plastic. The 1st run Icons are the most flippy. They make fantastic rollers and are really fun to throw on flippy lines.

Timko said:
Also, Pinnacle plastic. The 1st run Icons are the most flippy. They make fantastic rollers and are really fun to throw on flippy lines.

Blue was bad i have not thrown others. It was supaflippy. The blue ones were described as the most flippy of them all with a large stability gap to the others IIRC. So a regular one should be good. Kinda mkaes me want to try out a regular one even though the grip is not tacky enough for most of the season here. Somebody (JHern?) posted a comaprison of different plastics copied from elsewhere in the Patriot thread here so you should read that thread.

I have no idea. I I know every first run Icon I've picked up has been under stable. I now that the 1st run Pinnacle Patriots that are gummy are slightly overstable. And everything else is basically straight stable.

Patriots are the most popular discs made by Legacy thus far (I also love the Clutch and Clozer as P&A duty), you can find them in different stabilities. I always thought the Leopard was a long disc, but the Patriot is even longer, and with the same feeling of control.

The best Patriot ever made was the gold sparkle from the prototype runs (they only molded 100 of these). Perfect stability, gummy but resilient plastic, and beautiful. Good luck finding one (mine is not for sale).

FYI: The Rival is more Teebird-like, I love it since it doesn't flip in a head wind, and has a stable flight with an abrupt/sharp hook at the end.

dgdave said:
I carry 3 Patriots. 1 1st run Icon, 1 1year old Legend, and 1 fresh Legend.

I guess the Legends were sort of a 1 run deal weren't they. I've tried looking for them and have not found any.

If a Patriot is good as everyone says they are I may be bagging a bunch pretty soon too. :D

My local shop does not sell a lot of Legacy so they probably still have those understable ones so i am afraid of buying another lemon. How do the straight Patriots look like compared to gummy flippy first run blues?

Latest posts