• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw less not more

Like everything else, ya gotta do whatever works best for you. Some people prefer to have 1 disc for every shot while others will have 1 or 2 discs that can do everything.

For me, I typically carry a max of 14 discs for a regular round, whether its casual or a tournament.

Out of those 14, I have 9 different molds right now.

5 of those 9 molds are my "security blanket" discs. The other 4 are in the bag on a trial basis. When the trial run is over, it will either take a permanent spot in the bag or be replaced with a new security blanket that needs seasoning.

I think it's a good thing to keep trying out new plastic. After all, disc golf is like a box of chocolates....:)

I see it all the time when people have 25 discs in the bag and use 4 in a round. I am a professional drummer and when I set up my kit I only put up what I will hit. I guess this thread pertains to newer players more than more experienced players but I have found this way of thinking has improved my game and kept it easier on my wallet.

The funniest bag I ever saw was actually two bags. Two cobalt tool bags, one for each arm, filled to the brim with idye, special stamps, first run limited super pearly whatever. The guy was a newer player and was obviously in love with all his discs. He shot like +30 that round and was complaining about being tired afterward. I talked to him and all I really said was "you can only throw one at a time".

Unfortunately, I think the prevalence of large bags is the main cause of this. After a couple months nobody wants their "starter" bag, so they buy the big one and fill it up.
Solution: first put in the 6pack, then fill with discs.

Unfortunately, I think the prevalence of large bags is the main cause of this. After a couple months nobody wants their "starter" bag, so they buy the big one and fill it up.
Solution: first put in the 6pack*, then fill with discs.

of non-alcoholic drink if playing at a park where drinking is illegal.

Oh-Look-This-thread-again.jpg

Nuts

I see it all the time when people have 25 discs in the bag and use 4 in a round. I am a professional drummer and when I set up my kit I only put up what I will hit. I guess this thread pertains to newer players more than more experienced players but I have found this way of thinking has improved my game and kept it easier on my wallet.

The funniest bag I ever saw was actually two bags. Two cobalt tool bags, one for each arm, filled to the brim with idye, special stamps, first run limited super pearly whatever. The guy was a newer player and was obviously in love with all his discs. He shot like +30 that round and was complaining about being tired afterward. I talked to him and all I really said was "you can only throw one at a time".

How can you enjoy a round bagged down like that. It reminds me of travelling with my wife. :thmbdown:

less is more is an understandable idea. the question really comes down to ability. yes new players can go disc crazy trying to throw all types of plastic. but until the disc is found that can be reliably thrown the same over and over, it is difficult to decide. also, do not discount technique! after 4 years of playing, I don't have a great touch game. so how does one give themselves a greater chance to make par? I carry 6 drivers, 5 midrange and 1 putter. I can always pull a disc that gives me a greater percentage of landing close to where i need to, without have that great touch that some guys easily have. So for my drivers i have overstable (excalibur), stable(destroyer) and understable(roadrunner)
and for slight degrees in between 2 sidewinders for straight one broken in, one new. and a katana for longer shots that don't require the hyzer of a destroyer. midrange is simple roc for stabilty impact for understable beat up shark for more turn, new shark for breaking in and a buzz becuase the roc still feels funny and i want to see if the buzz is more comfortable. wizard putter.
playing down here on the coast there is a lot of wind sometimes 30-40 mph somedays. try throwing those 2 discs on those days. so it's an amalgamation of what each shot requires to hit percentages.
simply because i don't have that sweet touch to park around the baskets every drive.

I'm new and have a **** ton of molds in my bag. I don't care.

You guys found your molds by trial and error. That's what I'm doing now. I'm starting to notice what discs work and what don't.

I'm new and have a **** ton of molds in my bag. I don't care.

You guys found your molds by trial and error. That's what I'm doing now. I'm starting to notice what discs work and what don't.

That's great. That is exactly why I posted this thread to begin with. My point is throwing one mold or even 3 of the exact same mold over and over again shows you what you are doing when you throw. For example if you throw 3 of the same putter new, at a shot and the disc does the same thing 3 times you are consistent. If it goes doesn't you have form issues. Feel that?

I'm all for doing whatever makes you a better player. But, if carrying your weight in discs is enjoyable to you, go ahead and be my guest. As long as you're having fun, it's fine by me.

That's great. That is exactly why I posted this thread to begin with. My point is throwing one mold or even 3 of the exact same mold over and over again shows you what you are doing when you throw. For example if you throw 3 of the same putter new, at a shot and the disc does the same thing 3 times you are consistent. If it goes doesn't you have form issues. Feel that?

you can have form issues even if you repeat the same shot. I had a gnarly case of OAT and I was repeating the same shots consistently. Now, everything throws nice and hyzer.

Doing the same shot with 3 different kinds of discs, now there is a fun drill.

Three putters (all wizards, all same tackiness, various weights)
three midrange (2 rocs, beat dx and kc pro and a sentinel MF)
two drivers (star destroyer and star teebird)

that's five molds and I have become very consistent with them. Practice in a field. I'll go out and throw all my putters hyzer, then anhyzer then straight. Also skip shot and flat landing shots. Then move to the mids, then drivers. Does wonders for consistency.

Hell sometimes I'll only play a round with just my rocs and wizards.

been trying this out and it was starting to lower my scores but its been crappy weather for a while now. Need to get back to it

right now im carrying:
Drivers: Striker, Vision, Stalker, Rogue (FH only)
mids: Buzz, meteor
Putter: magic

I may just learn to throw the stiker FH and that would eliminate the rogue but i get the rogue a good 25 feet farther everytime.

its never a bad thing to try new stuff, but after giving it a fair chance, be objective. Dont add a disc that does the same thing as something else you have covered already. Most people dont actually need a Tb striker stalker but there are people that carry all 3. Why? Why carry a Roc, wasp, core combo? Figure out what shots you are trying to cover, and see how few molds you can accomplish this with, that to me is optimal. Not literally having less molds than the next guy. But not overdoing it and having tons of overlap IMO.

My bag holds 12 disc max, I have 6 that stay in all the time, the other 6 depends on things like weather, season, testing new disc, and course. Somtimes I carry 2 or 3 disc of the same mold like my polecats and r-pro Boss or Roc's in differnt weights, its a ongoing process for me, dont think i'll ever have just one setup.

I only use one mold(Champ Max) in 56 stages of wear.

I might do that tomorrow. I've always wanted to but never got around to it. I'm excited.

just keep your head up and stay positive cause its a little discouraging as the wizards and rocs really show your flaws in form and over muscling. you'll look like a noob for a while but it pays off graciously.

Latest posts