• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Are Gyro discs less forgiving?

And turns out I have a 158 g relay in my box O discs. My son uses it some. I may have to give it a shot again since I'm trying to throw lighter discs these days.

If it's an older pfn or slightly domey it should be good. They kind of got beefy 2yrs back, and flatter. Relays are a great woods disc.

I have high hopes for a 150g fission rhythm but I haven't liked the slick newest iteration of fission in retrospect the hard fiberglass looking streaky stuff was better. I liked the wave, inertia and insanity in the 150 class, 160 rhythm are straight to fade, new fission teslas are crap. Old ones bomb!!!! Fission SE 155 octanes are also notable. Just in case you were dabbling further, I want everyone to love gyro as much as I do haha.

I'm curious about the difference between Twmcoy and Mike C how is it that two people with similar power have such a difference of opinions about similar discs in their speed range? Obviously personal throwing style plays in but what's the core of that? I don't think I've seen twmcoy throw bit I've watched a lot of Mike over the years. Is there a nose down thing, a flatter snap, or something else. What's the deal with teleports? I can barely dreambout getting a Mayhem going but is it a bad run or... hear me out on this... is twmcoy moonlighting with solo molds and Mike has been in the mvp camp for so long he hasn't even dabbled with wizards etc so he has a better feel for gyro?

Is there something to learn other than I need another beer?

I'm curious about the difference between Twmcoy and Mike C how is it that two people with similar power have such a difference of opinions about similar discs in their speed range? Obviously personal throwing style plays in but what's the core of that? I don't think I've seen twmcoy throw bit I've watched a lot of Mike over the years. Is there a nose down thing, a flatter snap, or something else. What's the deal with teleports? I can barely dreambout getting a Mayhem going but is it a bad run or... hear me out on this... is twmcoy moonlighting with solo molds and Mike has been in the mvp camp for so long he hasn't even dabbled with wizards etc so he has a better feel for gyro?

Is there something to learn other than I need another beer?

have we seen video of twmcoy

for what it's worth I do throw other companies from time to time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CBuZYb2Ye3A&t=0m35s

I do Wizard only rounds every once in a while out of nostalgia.

Tested out the Zone OS too.

I usually field test any discs I find so I can see what they're like first hand. Star Shryke, DC Athena, champ teebird and a few others are the ones I've found since starting back up this year.

Either way everyones throw is a bit different. There's so many little variables at play like wing span, overall height, spin / arm speed ratios, etc.

I've always thought that MVP/Axiom discs are much more sensitive to nose angle for sure, and the comments about the abrupt fade are true for the stable to OS stuff. I'm throwing between 350'-380' (which is about 50' shorter than it has been and is also coming mostly from a standstill now), and I can't get most of the MVP/Axiom stuff I have/had to turn initially unless it's a -2 or more turn. The only real distance driver that I felt good with was the Excite but that was also super finicky with the release angle and nose angle as it could either turn and burn or just go 300' and fade hard with no turn, though if I got it right it was a wonderful s-curve for 380-400'.

I've been back to throwing a lot of the slower stuff that I can predict much better, and I've been using a Pro Destroyer as my workhorse distance disc recently. Now if I could just fix my nose angle...maybe that's what I try to work on tomorrow.

Just my 2 cents , but this is BS. No, they are not more sensitive than any other brand of discs. I think the things you guys are saying are either true about all discs, or a placebo-effect sort of thing.

Just my 2 cents , but this is BS. No, they are not more sensitive than any other brand of discs. I think the things you guys are saying are either true about all discs, or a placebo-effect sort of thing.

So MVP isn't unique?

So MVP isn't unique?

I didn't say they aren't unique, but I think it's a ridiculous notion that every GYRO disc has distinct flight characteristics that a non-GYRO disc doesn't have.. In my experience they don't. They are not "more punishing" or "more sensitive". You nose em up or don't get your spin, they fade quick.
Sounds like a disc golf disc to me.

Marketing bullshit.

Well Best as I can tell, there's a thin line of science to support that gyro is different, whether it is noticeable or not is the debate. Or how noticeable it is... I think any effect is relatively small but there is some extra stability compared to other discs with similar numbers. As someone that has thrown them for a while I remember struggling to make my first 173g ion work and I was throwing a 178g champ rhyno fine.

I generally recommend people drop 5g with their first gyro disc. I also think MVP is fairly accurate with their flight numbers but on average they are set by a 300' + thrower so newbies find them less forgiving especially if they have lesser snap, nose up issues and OAT where they hope it will hyzer flip but it just doesn't.

I see newer players commenting more because they are disappointed in their disc.

Anyhow this horse is dead and I'm out of coffee....

If it wasn't marketing they would do the math and advertise the difference.

The truth is gyro tech does work, it's basic physics, however the spin is so low on a thrown disc the moment of inertia is only marginally improved by that variation in density so it's probably less than 1% and possibly a little more in very wide rim drivers.

Any other brand who molds halo type discs could do the rim in 100% fill and the flight plate in that air filled plastic mix and they would by definition be utilizing variable density plastic to increase the moment of inertia aka "gyro tech".

At least for me wave is too understable to powerful bh drives, good disc though for forehand hyzerflips and turnovers, and thats because my forehand shot lacks power quite massively hen compared to bh shots.

But Octane is a good distance disc, i get nice turn from it and this disc holds turn quite a bit, but strangely it doesn't move so much in the left-right axis as u could expect for its time to flight in a high speed turn. I don't think that my octane will be any harder to fade than rest of my drivers with similar flight numbers.

I also had a 14.5 speed Axiom Excite which is too fast for me, for sure, but it's by it's nature quite neutral, no us or no os but neutral, it's flight numbers are 14.5,5.5,-2,2, it will turn for my hardest drives quite much, but strangely enough it will act just like my Octane, it will turn,for sure, and i get a proper distance out of it by this turn, but like Octane, when it turns it does not move in horizontal direction particularly much.

These are just my opinions...

Latest posts