• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw less not more

I carry 17 discs and each one has a job. Some for far shots, close shots, left turning, right turning, into the wind, with the wind, approach shots, etc.

I spend at least 1-2 hours, every two weeks at my practice field. When ever I get a new disc, I take it there first and see how it flies. I get to throw it 20-30 times and really get a feel for it. I can't do that on the course. I can also try out hyzer shots, and anny shots, and see what discs do well straight, and into the wind, and with the wind, in very controlled conditions.

When ever somewhere shows interest in disc golf, I always take them to the field with my practice basket before we ever hit the course, and it gives them a chance to throw over and over, and work on their putting long before we hit the course. Most of those people are less nervous and more confident when we do get to the course because they have had a time to practice.

Most ball golfers hit the driving range to try out a new driver, or clubs they get, and they also do that to see how far each club in the bag will drive the ball. I do that with my bag of discs and it works well. That way when I get to the course and I step up to a hole, I know what disc will go how far and if I need a right turn or left turn or straight, I know exactly what disc to choose. Takes the guess work out.

Some people don't like throwing in an open field, fine , no problem, this works for me. I also enjoy the quiet time, and it can be quite fun and relaxing. It also lets you try a shot over and over till you figure it out. I have also found it to show me discs that just don't work for me at all.

Most baseball players, and football players,, and any sport of that matter, spend time practicing to get better, so why wouldn't disc golfers want to do the same.

I completely agree with midnightbiker. Field practice will build consistency, shows you what you are doing wrong and you never have to wait for a group of teens all throwing sidearm and noob-hyzering.

Why would anyone care what someone else carries in their bag? I don't get this whole thread.:confused:

No, not entirely discing down. I think he is more specifically talking about the mold minimalism aspect of that..

Discing down is one thing, it is another to have a very select few discs that may actually contain high speed drivers. The concept is what I also strive for. Have a limited number of discs, but having unlimited knowledge about how each one flies and having the ability to get a variety of types of flight patterns from the same disc. I think I would be more accurate with one or two Buzzz and being able to throw them how I wanted to rather then have to carry 5 of them with each one doing something slightly different. I am still working on my bag, but I am definately supportive of the concept of less is more.

Three putters (all wizards, all same tackiness, various weights)
three midrange (2 rocs, beat dx and kc pro and a sentinel MF)
two drivers (star destroyer and star teebird)

that's five molds and I have become very consistent with them. Practice in a field. I'll go out and throw all my putters hyzer, then anhyzer then straight. Also skip shot and flat landing shots. Then move to the mids, then drivers. Does wonders for consistency.

Hell sometimes I'll only play a round with just my rocs and wizards.

I like the simplicity of the setup. If you really know your discs well, then you can make them do many different types of shots. Learn how to throw that driver hyzer, flat and anny insted of trying to have three discs do that.

Discing down is one thing, it is another to have a very select few discs that may actually contain high speed drivers. The concept is what I also strive for. Have a limited number of discs, but having unlimited knowledge about how each one flies and having the ability to get a variety of types of flight patterns from the same disc. I think I would be more accurate with one or two Buzzz and being able to throw them how I wanted to rather then have to carry 5 of them with each one doing something slightly different. I am still working on my bag, but I am definately supportive of the concept of less is more.

That is a good point. That is what I try to do at my practice field. See if I can get a disc to do different things, and cut out any copies.

i'm an advocate of the fewer molds school for everything but long range drivers. there is not a single disc in my bag that would create a "huge hole" however if i lost it. if you can't replace it to a degree you shouldn't be throwing it imo. i have beat rocs and aviars galore, as well as a few back-up ce and proline leopards and eagles- those pretty much cover me other than the fast stuff.

As I start to mature as a player, I start to carry around more of what works for me. I still have over 10 molds in my bag, but I'm working from the bottom up. My putters, mids, and fairways are all locked in solidly with my Magnets, Buzzz/Roc combo, and Teebirds. All I have to do is tinker with drivers and audition a few utility discs.
I have nothing against discing down, but I have no intention of doing it until I am more experienced and my technique is locked in.

i'm an advocate of the fewer molds school for everything but long range drivers. there is not a single disc in my bag that would create a "huge hole" however if i lost it. if you can't replace it to a degree you shouldn't be throwing it imo. i have beat rocs and aviars galore, as well as a few back-up ce and proline leopards and eagles- those pretty much cover me other than the fast stuff.

I guess I am in this school also...I try to minimize my mids and approach and short range stuff but carry a plethora of longer range stuff.......I just hate getting out to a course and not having that one disc that matches the wind and the hole length/shape I am about to play. I think on courses under 7000 ft you can get away with less molds but when youre battling 9000+ foot wooded courses you really need every disc in your arsenal.

I've tried to reduce discs but I cant do it and honestly say it is improving my scores

Some days and some courses I use 4-5 disc the entire round and people laugh at my bag......Some days I use everything and laugh as they attempt to make their neutral driver make a hard fade into a strong headwind downhill.

i think i actually throw fewer discs on big courses because to a degree i wind up throwing the same shot over and over. i haven't played iron hill but from how moser described it to me it sounded like i would throw 4-5 discs other than putters- i tend to go all understable with hyzer in the woods- helps you make the initial gaps more consistently.

Some days and some courses I use 4-5 disc the entire round and people laugh at my bag......Some days I use everything and laugh as they attempt to make their neutral driver make a hard fade into a strong headwind downhill.

Who in the world would laugh at your bag? I carry my full bag on a 9 hole, easy course, just in case. You never know what kind of shot you might need to get out of trouble. And like you said, you never know which way the wind might be blowing.

My mids have been set for a long time. I have : Overstable, neutral,and understable. Same goes with my putters. My drivers I change out from time to time, trying to find what works at different distances. I think I have just about got that figured out.

i think i actually throw fewer discs on big courses because to a degree i wind up throwing the same shot over and over. i haven't played iron hill but from how moser described it to me it sounded like i would throw 4-5 discs other than putters- i tend to go all understable with hyzer in the woods- helps you make the initial gaps more consistently.

Iron Hill has a lot of long very straightish fairways...I would guess you could get by with manipulating a few longer range drivers there.
I was referring to Nockamixon which has a greater variety of hole shape and hard doglegs as well as wind coming into play more often than Iron Hill.

I carry 17 discs and each one has a job. Some for far shots, close shots, left turning, right turning, into the wind, with the wind, approach shots, etc.

That's the method I prescribe to. I release every shot with a little bit of hyzer, and very rarely release flat or anhyzer. Then I've built my bag around that one hyzer release. Overstable discs that will hold a hyzer line, stable discs that will flip up and go straight, and understable that will flip up and over. It seems more repeatable to have one release and let different discs do what they will naturally do than to have several different releases and try to 'force' a disc to do what it might not naturally do.

Its cool to have a lot of stuff, (Discs), but I have to admit I carry more than I use. I keep it to 10 discs.

You can do what I did and buy a really nice small bag ::read GB squirrel monkey:: and force yourself to carry 10 discs (with multiples of every mold but two)... I still think I could shoot decently on almost any course without holes over 500' with a buzzz and a putter.... I also usually find myself reaching for less disc than most people I play with on any given shot... but that all may change when I can throw 450'. In the meantime I am going to concentrate on the discs that I throw well until I can throw them any way I need to...

I am satisfied with my bag right now. I Find a purpose for each mold, but i dont use all of them at any one course. Some courses i find myself using half my bag. It just depends on the course difficulty and the lines required. I just carry multiples of each mold i really like.

I had the pleasure of playing 6 DGs at The Leigh Parkway yesterday, each about 25yrs old.
Each one carried a large selections of discs 20+, telling me they have been playing for YEARS.
Only one had a big gun,his drives surely surpassed mine. But after that he had no game.
I played a conservitive game, low and diliberate. I have a Chimp Bag so I only carry 10 discs.

We didnt keep score,but I knew I beat them. Every shot on the fairway, and my putting was just working that day. Personaly,Id rather play a seasoned player who's carring a few discs, that some noob who cant deside on witch disc to use.

I just started discing down and now I only have putters, mids and 2 drivers, a tbird and an apache. I think speed 7 and 9. I have noticed a considerable drop in score and a lot better accuracy.

As I start to mature as a player, I start to carry around more of what works for me. I still have over 10 molds in my bag, but I'm working from the bottom up. My putters, mids, and fairways are all locked in solidly with my Magnets, Buzzz/Roc combo, and Teebirds. All I have to do is tinker with drivers and audition a few utility discs.
I have nothing against discing down, but I have no intention of doing it until I am more experienced and my technique is locked in.

The purpose of discing down is to accomplish just that. Youre wasting your time doing it this way IMO. What drivers do you currently have in your bag?

Latest posts