• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw less not more

I would say as most people mature as players they begin to reduce their molds. The reason being that they come to understand and have a relationship with a mold that they understand and their bodies/motions can communicate with the disc. Like myself and the discs in my sig.

This has been my experience. My bag used to contain multiple Bosses, Excal, etc. Unless it's really windy I rarely maximize these discs potential. I carry a Destroyer as my beefy disc and mostly throw Teebirds and TL's that are controlable at most course distances.

I'm new and have a **** ton of molds in my bag. I don't care.

You guys found your molds by trial and error. That's what I'm doing now. I'm starting to notice what discs work and what don't.

I think this guy makes a strong point. It seems to me that a lot of the advice from the long-experienced and high-rated players, while certainly well-intended, fails to take into account how a newer player's inexperience affects the choices he's capable of making with any kind of wisdom or understanding. More often than not, experience itself is the critical ingredient, and experience can't be talked into someone through a web forum.

So while I think cutting down on the molds is a valuable goal in the long-term, I'm not confident that it should be immediately undertaken by a new player before he knows what's out there to choose. Sure there are a lot of discs that work, but no small set of molds that will be best for everyone.

I think this guy makes a strong point. It seems to me that a lot of the advice from the long-experienced and high-rated players, while certainly well-intended, fails to take into account how a newer player's inexperience affects the choices he's capable of making with any kind of wisdom or understanding. More often than not, experience itself is the critical ingredient, and experience can't be talked into someone through a web forum.

So while I think cutting down on the molds is a valuable goal in the long-term, I'm not confident that it should be immediately undertaken by a new player before he knows what's out there to choose. Sure there are a lot of discs that work, but no small set of molds that will be best for everyone.

imo absolute beginners need to learn to throw ANY single disc with good results before muddying the waters with lots of different molds- once they've reached the point where they can actually replicate the same result with the same disc on a semi-regular basis then the time for experimentation arrives.

Agreed. Cut out all the warp-speed drivers, but by all means keep chucking different putters, mids and fairway-type drivers until you figure out what works for you. There is nothing wrong with mass experimentation. That is how most of us learn. I think the more experienced guys, and more advanced players are just trying to help the rest of us shorten our learning curve.

Latest posts