• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tim's bag

t i m

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
My bag for the weekend (changes a little bit every weekend, depending on the course to be played and weather conditions, but this is a pretty good representation):

Stable Control Drivers:
174g Champion Teebird (fresh) -- anytime I want control, need to hit gaps, need to throw upwind, this is my most trusted disc backhand off the teebox
168g 11X KC Teebird (seasoned) -- long and straight, annys well

Distance Drivers:
167g Champion Orc (beat) -- looong and straight, annys well and great downwind/downhill
167g Star Destroyer (seasoned) -- best distance disc over level ground
168g Star Destroyer (fresh) -- best distance disc into headwind or for predictable long-distance hyzers

Overstable Drivers:
171g Star Xcalibur (fresh) -- great for long skip shots and uber spike-hyzers
175g Star Firebird (seasoned) -- forehand rollers and upshots spike upshots, this is probably the most thrown disc in my bag outside my putter
166g Proline Firebird (lightly used) -- forehand and backhand hyzer drives

Midrange Discs:
180g Star Ontario Roc (fresh) -- dead straight and does an amazing job hitting clean lines through the woods (I don't trust it in the open yet)
179g Super Roc (seasoned) -- straight with hyzer fade, my most trusted midrange
166g CE Classic Roc (beat) -- straight/anny with lots of glide, also a favorite for trick shots in the woods and 100'+ runs at the basket
172g FLX Buzz (seasoned) -- anhyzers and uphill shots, and anytime I need a midrange to stick and not skip (also my most recent ace disc :))

Putters:
175g Firm Wizard (lightly used) -- driving/upshot wizard
172g Soft Wizard (beat) -- main putter and great for anhyzer drives
172g SS Magic (lightly used) -- straight, straight, straight and great for sticking to hills on upshots or dangerous putts
175g Piranha (beat) -- trick shots, forehand rollers, scoobers over trees, flick upshots, all kinds of things.

When I have to go minimalist, my three disc round is a Teebird, Firebird, Wizard -- those are 80-90% of my shots.

Triplebogey said:
I'd only see the need for something understable, like a Leopard

I'd agree -- I've got a Leopard and a Gazelle or two that I've been meaning to take out and practice with, but haven't had the free time yet to feel like I know where they are going to go. All I've had time for lately is competitive rounds, and I don't like putting unpredictable discs in for tourneys. But I appreciate the feedback.

Right now, the shots other people are using a leopard for, I'm cobbling together from a combination of shots with the beat 11X teebird, FLX Buzz and CE Classic Roc. The CE Classic Roc is undoubtedly the flippiest thing in my bag, but on the right line or on any downhill, it just sails forever.

I'd ask yourself these two questions:

"What am I doing with my XCal that I can't do with my Firebird or another new Firebird? Does it constitute carrying an extra mold?"

"What am I doing with my Buzzz that I can't do with one of my Rocs? Does it constitute carrying another mold?"

Those are the two spots that you have overlap in your bag. The XCal isn't a true stable disc like the Firebird is, so therefore won't age as gracefully. The Pirana I'm sure isn't necessary, learn to throw all of those shots with your wizards, they are more than capable.

victorb said:
I'd ask yourself these two questions:

"What am I doing with my XCal that I can't do with my Firebird or another new Firebird? Does it constitute carrying an extra mold?"

"What am I doing with my Buzzz that I can't do with one of my Rocs? Does it constitute carrying another mold?"

Those are the two spots that you have overlap in your bag. The XCal isn't a true stable disc like the Firebird is, so therefore won't age as gracefully. The Pirana I'm sure isn't necessary, learn to throw all of those shots with your wizards, they are more than capable.

^^ what he said. I'm not opposed to keeping 1-2 good trick shot discs in your bag. Stuff that maybe makes it out once or twice every couple rounds. Your Wizards should be capable though. Understable for me is the toughest spot in the bag for me to decide on. I think they are much more of a personal preference than stable and overstable discs.