• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips for NOT Overheating, feeling like Poo?

You have to play with the right people. You don't want to speed through a round, but you also don't want to stand around in the sun for a long time.
I think I may be in nearly the same situation you're in. I'm 6'0" right at 210lbs, used to be closer to 190 in the past. I'm 36 as well, and live in Texas, so I'm pretty close to your outside temperatures (just a few degrees cooler here on average). I think you just hit an age where things you just break down easier. I work outside a lot for my job, so I get a bit more used to it than others, but it will still get to me.
We do a lot of 7:00am rounds, try to play when it's cooler.

The heat and humidity in Tampa in mid/late August can be brutal. I'm glad I discovered Dri-fit shirts and loose fitting polyester golf shorts last year. I had heat stroke about twenty years ago and, like what was mentioned, by the time you figure it out it's too late. I drink plenty of water and walk slooowly. Every few holes pull over and rest in the shade for a few minutes. The only good thing is that if you can tough it out you've got the course to yourself. Even better, get up early and start at 8 AM or start late and finish up at sunset. But don't be dumb, listen to your body. If it says time to go home...go home.

Are you over weight, drink a lot of beer, diabetic? I don't know what to say beyond don't play beyond your limits. If it's to hot, sunny or what ever it is that trips your biology, don't play.

If you're over weight and like to chug brews, lose weight, ease up on the brews and drink lots of water. I don't know what else to say other than see a doctor and get a good physical.

A wide brimmed hat will help.

As a RN, I think this post has some very important info. You are assuming the issue is heat, and it probably is....but, it could be a pretty wide variety of other health problems as well. Not the least, diabetic, cardiac or thyroid issues. Go to your doctor, man. If you are seeing one regularly, talk to him about the problems. Good luck.

As a RN, I think this post has some very important info. You are assuming the issue is heat, and it probably is....but, it could be a pretty wide variety of other health problems as well. Not the least, diabetic, cardiac or thyroid issues. Go to your doctor, man. If you are seeing one regularly, talk to him about the problems. Good luck.

Nice! Thanks for popping in, ru4por. Good to hear a medical standpoint. I unfortunately have been to the Doc and had more tests run on my body than I care to admit, over the years. I went YEARS suffering from Idiosyncratic Anaphylaxis. They tested me for Everything, from cancer, to thyroid, to diabetes, to bone/joint problems, etc... It has been awhile since I have been to the Doc, though.

*** I guess I should say, too... I am one of the guys that carry the 30 disc backpack bag jammed with stuff. If my kids come throw with me on a given day, my bag can end up weighing well over 20lbs. A CART is starting to look better and better to me.

Last edited:
36 is not old, btw. There are people that old playing in the NFL. I'm 58 and also thought 36 was old. But it's not.

Yeah, I'd be hesitant to blame it on age. My heat exhaustion experiences came at about 13, and 30. I'm 56 now, and just careful.

one thing I do a lot is fill two bottles one nalgene bottles up half way and the other fully then freeze them overnight (so the water gets rock hard solid frozen). when you start your round you can fill the half filled frozen bottle with warm water and it'll slowly melt the ice so you have ice cold water the whole time. The other bottle will slowly thaw during the round too.

This is also a very good idea, one I keep forgetting to do. Around here in summer, you can start with frozen bottles and drink them as they thaw.

I second playing earlier in the day between 7 and noon. I try to avoid being out in the sun between 3 and 5 during the hot months.

In addition to runningdocs great suggestion (which I do) keep yourself covered. Light colored, light weight, breathable clothing. (I prefer cotton, as it traps the sweat and acts like a personal swamp cooler). I suggest an umbrella. Nothing beats shade here, it's simply portable shade.

This is what I do backpacking, in this weather. It helps a lot.

I think that's Arizonas MO. All the old people going there to retire, start early with there walks and yard work and are inside when it's hot (although they like the heat) and asleep early.

Are the courses there on the flatter side, more open? Cart idea sounds ideal for your situation.

Are the courses there on the flatter side, more open? Cart idea sounds ideal for your situation.

There aren't many trees on any of the Phoenix courses, save for Los olivos. Most are very exposed. Same in tucson, now that Mariana rocks done. Fwiw, in the summer... I'll run, or ride, at 4:30 or 5 am and be done long before 7. It's hot here, worse down in the valley in phx.

I have had 2 bouts of heat stroke this summer out huckin' plastic. It is cooling off down here in Arizona a bit, but I still feel like crap. Sporadically, though. I can play one day in 110 degree heat and be FINE, but the next day I'll play in 87 degree weather and gas out by the 9th hole, get dizzy, my hearing goes in and out, Nausea, etc.... Had it happen Again today. It was only 84 degrees when I started. UGH! :mad:

First off, I am drinking LOTS of water. LOTS. I carry in upwards of 120oz for hot days. I am sweating like a Pig the whole time. Secondly, Jowie, here on DGCR, suggested I get a brimmed hat to keep sun off my head and face. I am going to give this a try, regardless of the fact it will make me uglier.

Any tips, tricks, or go home you fat, weenie old man statements for me? :popcorn:

120 oz of water is a lot to be carrying in the heat, it weighs a lot and I'm sure this is adding to your problem. If you can, keep some of the liquid in your car and pick it up after the front nine. Or get a cart so you aren't carrying around all that weight.

If you have to be out when it's too hot...pre hydrate, starting the day before. No alcohol or carbonated drinks. Big brimmed hat and clothes that are breathable and quick dry (especially helpful in less humid climates)

Really though, unless you're playing a tournament...just stay out of the heat in the worst part of the day. Even acclimatizing yourself to the weather and preparing properly won't ensure you don't have heat related illness. There's always night golf or just waiting a bit till the weather is more tolerable.

Hate to break it to you, but once you've had heat stroke (your post states you've had it twice this year) you become more susceptible to heat illness.

Get a basket and practice putting indoors. You can also set up a driving range in you house by throwing a blanket over a taut rope.

Stay indoors until cooler weather.

Shipley is right. Once you get heat exhaustion your body will be more susceptible to the heat for a while. I got it this year in July. 10 days later I was playing on a warm evening and broke down within 6 holes. Major sweats, hearing my pulse in my brain, shortness of breath, etc.

I walked off and went home. Took another week or so to feel ok again

Hate to break it to you, but once you've had heat stroke (your post states you've had it twice this year) you become more susceptible to heat illness.

Get a basket and practice putting indoors. You can also set up a driving range in you house by throwing a blanket over a taut rope.

Stay indoors until cooler weather.

I have not actually run across evidence that supports this. Heat stroke is a form of hyperthermia, an abnormally elevated body temperature with accompanying physical and neurological symptoms. Unlike heat cramps and heat exhaustion, two forms of hyperthermia that are less severe, heat stroke is a true medical emergency that can be fatal if not properly and promptly treated. If had it once, you are likely to have it again because there is something inherently wrong with your body's thermostat, which can be caused by numerous body system deficits. Perhaps that is what you were saying Shipley.

Also not to be confused with dehydration, which can happen without failure of the body to maintain normal body temp.

Again, I would seek the input of your physician, especially if this is a repeat issue.

McBeth in his mini documentary practiced a ton in heavy clothing and drinks 100oz of water before the end of his first round, every day. Those things prepared him for the heat in the Australian open.