• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips on fixing discs scuffed by concrete/pavement

Wally

Par Member
I did a quick search to find out what to do when your disc hits some concrete or pavement and there was not much out there. What should you do when you have those jagged or rough edges? When should you do repairs? etc...

i dont know the rules, but i figured melting it doesnt take away from the weight, i always though sanding or shaving/cutting would be altering it more

I use a 100ish grit if its a big scuff followed by finer until its not noticable. I don't try to totally get rid of it, just minimize it enough to make it not affect me.

"Light sanding" is OK, whatever that means. I'm pretty sure melting is technically not OK. I just pull off any little bits that are big enough for me to get a hold of and that's about it. The rest gets buffed off by normal use.

Clean any debris from the scuffs, then pass a low flame, like a Bic lighter quickly back and forth underneath to heat the plastic, smooth with your fingers.

This is not illegal, you are simply returning the disc to its original shape, NOT modifying it for increased performance.

Sanding is worthless on better plastics, all it does is agitate the burrs back and forth, and does not smotth them down.

Sanding with enough pressure to remove material, which does actually modify the disc, would be illegal.

I beleive this is why the PDGA rules says only " light sanding ", meant to smooth out rough spots, is legal.

So if I see shavings, or dust, I'm screaming foul on you sanders.

I usually just let it take care of itself, a few tree hits or good skips on dirt usually take care of the little stuff, and if it's big enough to hang off, I'll just pull it off.

240-600 grit wet sandpaper. Wet sanding works well on rough spots on the edges/corners.

I like my discs like I like my women, rough and easy to turn over lol. seriously, why bother smoothing it out when it's just gonna get scuffed up again.

I like my discs like I like my women, rough and easy to turn over lol. seriously, why bother smoothing it out when it's just gonna get scuffed up again.

^^^This

Who says it needs to be fixed? Just throw the thing. It'll probably only make it better.

I was talking with my father and we are actually going to try out so hot air methods to fix the scuff marks. My family's business has been plastic for over 40 years so I am sure we will figure something out. I will keep everyone here posted to how it goes. We already have 2 solid ideas on how to do the fix.

I just use my towel and rub the rough spots off with it. It smooths the rough spots enough so that my focus is not on them but the shot I'm trying to execute next time I use that disc. It also makes more sense to me then busting out the welding torch or whatever those other guys were recomending you do. The microfiber towel builds up enough friction to give you a heat element without actually damaging the disc.

I was talking with my father and we are actually going to try out so hot air methods to fix the scuff marks. My family's business has been plastic for over 40 years so I am sure we will figure something out. I will keep everyone here posted to how it goes. We already have 2 solid ideas on how to do the fix.

if you have been in plastics for 40+ years then why are you asking us?