• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

To Bag or Not to Bag? (A Midrange)

This was my thought. M3/M4. M3 for dead straight with a slight fade. M4 for dead straight, straight finish, straight landing (this disc doesn't know fade exists) and effortless turnover shots with great glide.

ITA with these sentiments. M3 is good for shaping shots, and controlled shots to the basket. The M4 is my understable mid for anny/turnover shots.

I wound up getting an 179 gram Emac Truth today just to try out...feels pretty good in the hand even though there is a small bead. I'm going to slowly ease it into the lineup, see how it fits. I also added a few other disc to try out:

150 g Star Lite Teebird- trying to replace the lost Gou with something slower and less flippy. So far I like it as long as I don't try to throw it when the wind picks up.
172g RFF Serpent- Just came in the mail, mostly wanted to try new blends of plastic from RDG. It feels nice and flexible without being floppy

Over the last few weeks I've been losing discs too often. Lost my PD and Boatman at the Aviary during a super windy couple of rounds. Sold the backup Valkyrie and Scythe and have given up on ever throwing the Raptor well. The starlite Teebird I picked up used at PIAS is probably too lightweight but I'm still working with it as a flippy fairway option. The new RFF Serpent is an amazing disc, I have been using it for any putts for around trees, and for low powered straight-line approach shots (ones where throwing a Pig just isn't feasible).

My midrange experiment has been put on hold, as I am growing even more attached to the 155g Star Whippet in my bag for shots that are just out of Pig range but too short to throw a Teebird. I may just have to look into buying few DX whippets in varying weights and see how they work. I still have yet to throw my EMAC Truth in a round, since the Whippet has been flying so well for me

Finally decided to throw the Emac Truth in a round this past weekend. A few buddies and I tried out night golf for the first time, and I decided to give the Truth a go with my old Mantis (only have 2 lights and didn't want to lose my favorite discs). I was very pleased with how well I threw the Emac in the couple of rounds we played that night. I had tossed it here and there so I had a bit of a feel for the disc, but it surpassed my expectations. I mostly threw it that night because I didn't want to risk losing other discs if the lights shorted out, but now I'm going to be bagging the Emac. While, it wasn't as OS as I was hoping, it has a very consistent flight, and can work multiple lines. I may still want a longer Pig type of disc, but the Emac should be in the bag to stay.

I also managed to snag a zipper top QOLF 1.1 at the local PIAS on the cheap and added a C-Line FD3. The FD3 is doing exactly what I wanted it to, handle strong headwinds without flipping over, and is still workable in calmer conditions (I'm pleased so far). The QOLF is now my favorite driver, probably the longest disc in my bag and very predictable (My Valkyrie maybe a few feet longer but I can't trust it like i can with the QOLF). I feel like this will be the disc that I will eventually break the 400' barrier with. I liked it enough to snag a 1.1 zipper top SOLF on the marketplace over the weekend. I'm going to have to get an easier to replace backup of these discs, maybe a newer MOLF or SOLF. I also have a couple more Fossil Fuel Serpents on the way since my main putter is starting to take some bigger digs. Probably going to leave the bag as follows until the RDG Tyrant comes out:

Core Bag:

Drivers:
170 QOLF 1.1 Zipper Top (beat into sweet spot 6.5/10) - Workhorse distance driver/ predictable bomber
*will add the 1.1 SOLF when it arrives and may look to add a new MOLF for over water throws
160? Gummy Champion 5X JK Valkyrie (beat into sweet spot 6.5/10) - Long distance bomber S-turns, shots from an elevated teepad... Longest disc in my bag, consistent flight... SUPER GUMMY Laffy Taffy plastic
172 C-Line FD3 (still fresh 9/10) - Strong headwind driver, drives that have to finish right
175 Avery Jenkins Swirly Star Teebird, (almost broken in 7/10) - workhorse fairway, dependable end of flight fade

Mids:
155 Star Whippet X Factory 2nd (used 7/10) - Ostensibly a longer Pig... straight to strong fade and spike hyzer mid rangeshots
179 Lucid Emac Truth (still fresh 9/10) - Laser beam straight with small but dependable finish right. Hopefully will be the workhorse mid

Putters:
175 Blizzard Champion Pig (still fresh 8.5/10) - Fresh Pig for big Hyzer approaches (I consider an approach anywhere from ~225' and in , back up for my baby)
175 Pro Pig Innova Factory Store (almost broken in 7/10) - Hit & stick hyzer approach
175 Blizzard Champion Pig (broken in but still OS 6/10) - Favorite disc & most used disc in the bag, very dependable straight to fade workhorse approach and turbo putts...Ace Disc!
172 R-Pro Pig (broken in 6/10) - My line shaping Pig, lots of HSS but without the big dump characteristic of Pigs
172 Liquid Metal Lockjaw ( used 7/10) - glidey approach shots, tight wooded hole hyzer flips... this disc flies like a Pig with glide
175 Fossil Fuel Serpent (used 7/10) - main putter... Brick like glide lets me run chains, without fear of a huge comeback putt. Also great for turbo putts.
172 RFF Serpent (pretty new 8.5/10) - Anny putts, finesse upshots where the Piggies aren't gonna work

Last edited:
EMac Truth

My EMac seems to be developing more turn than I was hoping for pretty quickly. I'm finding that I have to hyzer flip the EMac if I want it to fly straight, and still get a decent amount of wiggle to the right even throwing with hyzer. It won't turn and burn (when it has it's been my own fault) but it drifts too much ATM. I'm starting to think its gonna have to come out of the bag soon

If you're still looking for a mid, I'd recommend the shark/shark3. I throw roc3s, but since you don't like beads, Sharks might be a good option for you. BTW, I bought a pig last year and loved it. Beat it into that "sweet spot) where it doesn't fade much anymore. But I couldn't find a new one locally to replace it as the OS driving putter. So I bought a kc aviar and that what I use now. Pig is a great disc tho, totally u detest and why you love them so much!!!

The truth is more of a straight flyer that will beat in to flippy. You should have an overstable midrange with it for hyzer shots and forehands. I recomment a Z wasp or a Opto Pain or a Champion Roc3 (stability in those varies though) or a similar disc from another brand.

If you're still looking for a mid, I'd recommend the shark/shark3. I throw roc3s, but since you don't like beads, Sharks might be a good option for you. BTW, I bought a pig last year and loved it. Beat it into that "sweet spot) where it doesn't fade much anymore. But I couldn't find a new one locally to replace it as the OS driving putter. So I bought a kc aviar and that what I use now. Pig is a great disc tho, totally u detest and why you love them so much!!!

I may just have to try the Roc regardless of the bead situation. The micro bead on the EMac felt fine, plus the bead will help with the extra stability that I'm looking for. Shark is a good suggestion, I'll have to try throwing the one my buddy uses to see how it flies for me

I may just have to try the Roc regardless of the bead situation. The micro bead on the EMac felt fine, plus the bead will help with the extra stability that I'm looking for. Shark is a good suggestion, I'll have to try throwing the one my buddy uses to see how it flies for me

Go easy on the Shark, especially if it's a light weight.

IMO, go with a champ shark3. They bring a fair amount of beef, but workable. Never long term tested it, but should be a fair workhorse mid.

IMO, go with a champ shark3. They bring a fair amount of beef, but workable. Never long term tested it, but should be a fair workhorse mid.

Cool that's exactly what my buddy bags

Go easy on the Shark, especially if it's a light weight.

Yeah man luckily I can try one free and if I don't think it's gonna hold up I will prob try to grab a roc3 or verdict

I have shuffled around the lineup quite a bit, trying to simplify the bag. I have it down to six molds at the moment, though I may add a couple more depending on how I throw with this setup. I wanted some easier to replace backups for my favorite hard to find discs.

New Core Bag Setup:
Utility:
155 Star Whippet X Factory 2nd (used 7/10) - Ostensibly a longer Pig... straight to strong fade and spike hyzer mid range shots
173 Armor Tyrant (new 9/10) - Headwind driver... shots that MUST finish right

Drivers:
170 QOLF 1.1 (beat into sweet spot 6/10) - Workhorse distance driver/ predictable bomber
175 SOLF 1.1 (broken in 6/10) - Less turn than the QOLF, straight to fade
174 MOLF 1.3 (new 9/10) - Used when there is a chance to lose my Zipper top OLFs
171 G Star Teebird (almost broken in 7/10) - Straight fairway shots, lots of glide
175 Avery Jenkins Swirly Star Teebird, (almost broken in 7/10) - workhorse fairway, dependable end of flight fade
171 Champion 11x Teebird ( broken in 6/10) - Used when there is a chance of losing my AJ Bird

Putters:
175 Blizzard Champion Pig (still fresh 8/10) - Fresh Pig for big Hyzer approaches (I consider an approach anywhere from ~225' and in , back up for my baby)
175 Blizzard Champion Pig (broken in but still OS 6/10) - Favorite disc & most used disc in the bag, very dependable straight to fade workhorse approach and turbo putts...Ace Disc!
172 R-Pro Pig (broken in 5/10) - My line shaping Pig, lots of HSS but without the big dump characteristic of Pigs...Ace Disc!
175 Fossil Fuel Serpent (beat 5/10) - main putter... Brick like glide lets me run chains, without fear of a huge comeback putt. Also great for turbo putts.
172 RFF Serpent (beat 5/10) - Anny putts, finesse upshots where the Piggies aren't gonna work
175 Fossil Serpent (new 9/10) - Long straight approaches or teeshots

I feel like I could still add a true midrange, (either Shark3 , Roc3, or Verdict are the leading candidates) to the bag. I'm also considering adding a true lid (Birdie or Polecat). However i feel like the biggest hole in my current setup is an understable disc, since my backhand game is pretty weak.

Rarely Used (Not Currently ITB) :
160? Gummy Champion 5X JK Valkyrie (6/10) - Long distance bomber S-turns, shots from an elevated teepad
179 Lucid Emac Truth (8/10) - Hyzer flip midrange shots
175 Pro Pig Innova Factory Store (7/10) - Hit & stick hyzer approach
172 Liquid Metal Lockjaw (7/10) - glidey approach shots, tight wooded hole hyzer flips... this disc flies like a Pig with glide
173 Tournament Longbowman (8/10) - Replaced by the Tyrant but a good disc for straight to fade shots

Back to The Emac?

I finally decided to try out the Roc3 a few weeks back, and grabbed a 175 gram in star plastic. This was the heaviest available at the local PIAS, wanted to see how the bead felt before buying one. I definitely am not a fan of the disc the large bead is not comfortable for forehand, and I was much better at throwing the Emac Truth backhand compared to the Roc3. Unfortunately, I lost the Roc in some thick brush so I won't be able to see how it seasons in, but I was unimpressed with my brief trial run.

I'm considering abandoning the search for a midrange. Probably going to look into some lightweight DX Whippets and see if they fly like the star whippet I have in my bag. Between that and the Pigs I should have "midrange" distance covered for straight to OS lines.

I also decided to give Wizards a fair shake ( tried one briefly and hated it, not sure what plastic but it was way too stiff) and bought an Evo Platinum and an Eraser both 175 grams. The platinum is a great disc, I decided to take a break from the Serpents and roll with it as my putter since last weekend. So far I'm pleased with my decision, as the Wizard is much more versatile than the Serpent. My putting feels more consistent already, despite the bead using the Wizard has been an easy transition. The Wiz is also far superior off the tee.

I have taken the Serps out completely after trying out an Organic Magic ( first throw ever with the Magic spit out of a short ace run despite hitting center cut of the chains). The Magic is just arrow straight with maybe a touch of turn and I prefer it to any of the Serps I was previously using. These are money for low power straight approach shots that you want to make a bid at.
I don't feel the need to add a lid anymore, the Magic will be an easier to use disc that can hit similar lines.

I also got a medium Arch as a gift from a buddy, pretty good disc very similar to a teebird.

I grabbed a used Z Wasp (179 grams) today, and played with it in a one disc round at the local short course down here, Cumberland Green. I also played with my full line up of regular discs the next round. Surprisingly I scored exactly the same for both rounds, despite using the brand new Wasp for all shots including putting (I putt surprisingly well with the Wasp, with the exception of one 3 putt hole, in which it narrowly missed birdie then rolled a mile away).

Needless to say, the Wasp is gonna get a serious look at making the bag. It has the HSS I'm looking for, or close to it and should be a nice choice for straight to fade and hyzer flip FH mid shots. I used it BH, and it will be a disc that can increase the range of my backhand hyzer shots. The one I picked up has a slight hint of turn and a decent amount of fade. Hopefully this can be my long term solution for a midrange, and could probably cycle new and beat Wasps into the bag.

Rolling with this Setup:

3x Wizard (SSS, Platinum EVO, and Eraser)- Putter & BH Driving Putter
2x Pig (R-Pro and Blizzard)- FH Driving Putter & All Approach Duties
1x Magic (Organic RFF)- Tricky Putts & Approaches

1x Wasp (Elite Z)- Midrange Workhorse

1x Whippet (Star)- Straight to MUST Fade FH Fairway, Skip Shots, BH Utility
1x Teebird (Star)- Neutral Fairway shots
1x Arch (Medium)- Slightly US Fairway shots
1x Tyrant (Armor)- Headwind Driver & Flex Shots

3x OLF (QOLF1.1, SOLF1.1, MOLF 1.3)- All Distance Shots

I'm starting to have my bag dialed in the way I want, but probably could consolidate my fairways further.

What's the hurry in consolidating further? 14 discs and 9 molds, if I counted right, is nothing to be concerned about.

There is a lot of love here for the Wasp as a premium Roc type disc. To me that says it will serve you well. Hope you found what you were looking for.

What's the hurry in consolidating further? 14 discs and 9 molds, if I counted right, is nothing to be concerned about.

There is a lot of love here for the Wasp as a premium Roc type disc. To me that says it will serve you well. Hope you found what you were looking for.

I'm in no real hurry to consolidate the fairways, I just feel like that's the weak link in my arsenal at the moment. I like my Tyrant, but almost never throw it unless there is a hefty headwind. I feel like I could add a heavier DX Whippet and once it seasons up it would be a better disc for that headwind fairway role. The Arch is a nice disc, but it's really just like a beat teebird. That means I could simplify down to two molds that I really like.

But hey at least it looks like I found the midrange for me... We shall see if I stick to my guns with the Wasp or if it will be short lived like the EMac Truth.

There are champ glow whippets as well, don't know how common they are anymore though.

There are champ glow whippets as well, don't know how common they are anymore though.

I've been looking on and off on eBay for whippets of all kinds. Looks like they aren't all that common but are pretty cheap when they come around. My star is a 155 gram so that is why I'm hesitant to go ahead with the glow champs even though there are 3 sitting on eBay ATM. I feel like the glow could be too overstable for my needs

I also lost my Arch on Friday... Pretty disappointing as it was a disc I was starting to dial in pretty well and a gift from a friend (to whom I traded my Tyrant the day before). Oh well, I guess that will help simplify things for me with the fairway selection though

Current setup

I finally joined the local club to play some dubs and have been rolling with the following the last couple of weeks.

2 Wizards (174 SSS & 175 Eraser SSS)
2 Pigs (175 Blizzard & 172 R-Pro)
1 Magic (175 RFF)
1 Leopard (169 G*)
2 Whippets (162 DX & 155 Star)
1 Teebird (171 G*)
3 OLFs (175 SOLF 1.1, 170 QOLF 1.1, 174 MOLF 1.3)

So far I have been doing better than I expected although today's round was not so good. I feel great about setup at the moment. Only change I might be tempted to make is to start a cycle of MOLF 1.3s to replace my zipper tops. I love the zippers but fear losing them so it would be nice to have an easily replaceable alternative. A second more OS Teebird might be a nice addition too.

I left out the mids since I'm still getting used to the Wasp. It's a good disc but I'm still not confident throwing mids yet so it's only in for fun/practice rounds. I've been really tempted to dust off my old Tursas and put her back in the bag (I loved that disc). Eventually I hope these mids will be part of my arsenal ( or some kind of midrange).

I traded a Tyrant to a friend for a G* Daedalus which I am trying out for tailwinds... Fun disc but don't think it will make the bag long term. I've been trying to throw speed 9 or less since May now. Good trade as we each had multiples of the disc we gave.

My new goal for the rest of this year is to develop a passable backhand game with my leopard at the very least. I would like to be comfortable throwing backhand since it will open up so many more lines on the course. Ideally, I will learn to throw all my discs effectively backhand in time. I'm probably done trying new molds for the year so it's time to hone in the BH

Last edited: