• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Too Many Discs

Those "crappy players" may not know any better or are just out there to have fun. Nothing wrong with that. But if you want to improve your game, start with 3 - 4 discs, then add discs as you get better.

I just have a plastic fetish. There is nothing like getting a disc in the mail, even with no real use for it.

My bag consists of 12 discs and 2 putters. Only 5 molds between them all though.

You know, right now I am carrying a crapload of discs because I bought like 12 new discs this winter. I was fighting the urge, but not playing for 4 months just made me want to buy more. So right now I am filling the Innova Discarrier to its capacity. I do agree that carrying a lot of discs is a huge game killer, because you never really learn to throw each disc. I was given a $300 gift certificate last winter and bought a whole bunch of discs and I was changing my bag everytime I played. The result was several added strokes to my game. So give it a month and I will have my bag narrowed back down to what I works for me.

Just like any other sport, the newer players think that equipment is going to make the difference in their performance. Unfortunately, it just harms their progress in the long run as they don't learn proper techniques.

...these crappy players you speak of may still be new and not yet know what they're comfortable with. So they're in that novice stage of finding out what works and then in a few months, even years, they'll narrow it down to 4-8 molds.

Yea...but this crappy player threw 10 birdies today :) and I'm still trying out new molds and I'm nowhere near 4-8. I've got 13 in the bag now and not sure which I can do without.

At first I thought I would be just fine with 4 or 5 discs. Then I started throwing forehand, and overhand, and playing in the wind, and traveling to new courses, and driving with a putter and the bag grew and grew and grew.

OP, go to Feldberg to use only 4 discs, see what he says.

Yup...

I've been discin for a while now and it still amazes me the amount of crappy players throwing a TON of different discs every round. Personally I use four discs max (overstable driver, understable driver, FLX buzz, and a clasic champion rock as a putter). Maybe it would help some players to stop trowing as many discs as possible and focus on mastering just a few. Just a thought. :D

Agree 100%. But bringing this up is pretty much a way to either make someone miffed or get thirty minutes of an in-depth earplanation of "why I need three seperate midranges for anhyzer approaches".

The best thing you can do for your opinion to be promoted is take out just a putter or two - don't even bother with a bag, you're making a point here, right? Then beat the ever living hades out of your target audience.

Personally, I advocate carrying multiple copies of the same mold ( in different plastics and/or different stages of wear ). I feel that as few as about 4-5 molds can be very productive.

Still, the game's about havin' fun - so throw whatever the fugg floats yer boat, really. Just don't get pissed when some old dude with a noodle arm beats the schitt outta you with a putter and some random midrange.

Latest posts