• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trick yourself into playing better

Jungle Tim

Birdie Member
Recently played on a super tight wooded course, struggled to 6 over, with a fair amount of luck.

When returning to a more open course i was blown away but how much better i was. And i cant believe that 1 round improved my swing.

It is more that my perception and confidence had changed. on the once tricky holes, I was also able to see new and more interesting lines to throw, because of my challenges in the woods.

So the thinking is the harder the shot the better for you next round.

Unfortunately this has had NO affect on my abysmal putting.....

A good player once told me his philosophy... "Why throw through it, when you can throw over it or around it?"

Step back from the tee and you'll sometimes see that the easier shot isn't always the obvious shot. Kinda like what Texconsinite recently wrote in his review of Live Oak Park.

ERic

I find playing tight fairway courses and really short courses, both increase my accuracy and scoring ability when I go back to playing the average size to longer courses. The tight fairway style gets me honed in on a good release and direction and the short courses really nail down those approach shots.

This in turn makes my drives and long fairway shots more consistent.
And my ability to get up and down in 2 from 200 feet out or shorter really improve.

Also, side note on your putting Jungle Tim. Try a different style or stance of your regular putting. Since there are a few different ones out there, maybe you just have not found the one you really feel comfortable with yet. Plus you may want to adjust it to your stronger eye. If you need info on this, I will take the time to write it up.

Playing tighter , shorter technical courses often will definately help you with your technical game. My home course and the course I learned disc golf on is just that. HOWEVER, what I am lacking in my game is distance, and I really think that part of that stems from me not really having to "crank it" when I was learning to play. I can hold my own with the top players in tight, wooded, technical sections, however when it opens up to the "grip it and rip it" sections, I just lack the distance to hold my own.
So, if you have the ability to throw the open sections with "the big dogs", and you want to be a complete player, concentrate on the weaker part of your game, the tighter courses, and to really step that further, if you have a few certain holes that really just bite you, go and play them, trying different discs, different lines, whatever it takes to help get you through that. If that course ever has a random doubles, try going to that. You would be amazed at what different lines you can learn from playing with others on tricky holes.

Playing tighter , shorter technical courses often will definately help you with your technical game. My home course and the course I learned disc golf on is just that. HOWEVER, what I am lacking in my game is distance, and I really think that part of that stems from me not really having to "crank it" when I was learning to play. I can hold my own with the top players in tight, wooded, technical sections, however when it opens up to the "grip it and rip it" sections, I just lack the distance to hold my own.
So, if you have the ability to throw the open sections with "the big dogs", and you want to be a complete player, concentrate on the weaker part of your game, the tighter courses, and to really step that further, if you have a few certain holes that really just bite you, go and play them, trying different discs, different lines, whatever it takes to help get you through that. If that course ever has a random doubles, try going to that. You would be amazed at what different lines you can learn from playing with others on tricky holes.

The great thing about trying to get better at distance, is that any open field with a target (cone) to throw at will work. Although I have only gained a little on distance so far, having the target seems to help gaining accuracy while working on the distance too.

The great thing about trying to get better at distance, is that any open field with a target (cone) to throw at will work. Although I have only gained a little on distance so far, having the target seems to help gaining accuracy while working on the distance too.

I've done that very thing...some. Also used the reverse of advice that I gave Jungle Tim...and that is play some open, longer holes to try and help my mind set on playing longer, open holes. My distance has indeed come up over the past year or so...problem is, so have my friends/competitors in my division:mad:

Thanks Guys

That is really a good idea, i do try to use a tree, but i often just get a bit carried away and just try hyzer flips and anhyzers of the top of high points, without really caring where they land. I think a bright orange cone will be a better object to aim at, as it definalty sticks out at you form the surrounding areas.

Donovan - what the hell is my stronger eye? Im short sighted in both!

Thanks Guys

That is really a good idea, i do try to use a tree, but i often just get a bit carried away and just try hyzer flips and anhyzers of the top of high points, without really caring where they land. I think a bright orange cone will be a better object to aim at, as it definalty sticks out at you form the surrounding areas.

Donovan - what the hell is my stronger eye? Im short sighted in both!

Try this thread