• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trouble throwing drivers

warmuth

Bogey Member
Anyone else have problems with not being able to figure out gripping/releasing the rim on a driver? While I can certainly improve my form overall I just cannot get any "snap" with a driver. When I throw putters and mids I can feel myself throwing the opposite side of the disc, and have a good feeling of flinging it and imparting spin. With a driver it's like I'm throwing a dinner plate, I just can't get any sort of feedback from it. It's not a release angle thing, I can throw line drive ropes,hyzer flips, turnovers etc.. they just don't really carry anywhere. I'm not immune to nose up mistakes but those are pretty obvious. I guess I could equate it to it feeling like I'm throwing the rim of the disc where I'm holding it but I don't feel the outside of the disc at all. I use standard powergrip for everything. For reference I throw putters(colt) up to 250 max, mids(warship) to 275 max and drivers(valk,heat) max 300.

Got to throw drivers harder. Are you trying to spin it?

Got to throw drivers harder. Are you trying to spin it?

I don't try to spin it, never really thought about it. I've basically used the same approach for putters, mids and drivers, I just don't feel any energy transfer with the driver, the disc feeling heavy. I do throw them harder than a typical putter or mid shot so they won't stall which very well could be jacking up my form to a degree. By spinning it would that mean focusing on the wrist hinge?

I think it's a common issue for players that try to spin the disc rather than leverage it forward.

My next guess would be that you are not turning your body/shoulder far enough back and able to get away with it on putters/mids.

Can u throw fairways?

Depending on the definition of fairway, all of my drivers are speed 9 or under. The most comfortable driver for me is a maverick or tee bird since the rims are thinner. They dont go as far as heats or valks but it's pretty close and they are more reliable.

Messing around with throwing today was interesting. I'm about a week in of learning a RH backhand since I currently sidearm RH but backhand LH. I of course had to throw a few shots with a DX Valkyrie which is a complete turnover disk on my LH backhand. Thrown RH it went 250 dead straight several times. When I turned around left hand I could not throw it 250 powered down without hyzer flipping it. Even full power I only get 50 more feet anyway and thats considering I get the correct amount of hyzer on it. So I've been compensating with premium plastics to be able to throw a driver 300 feet without turning them over which doesn't seem like a good solution to whatever problems I have with them. At this point I'll probably end up leaving my LH shot where it is and continue developing the RH seeing as its my dominant arm anyway.