• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Try to get my girlfriend into disc golf

It's awesome you're trying to get your girlfriend into the sport! We absolutely need more women playing! But here are a few things that I learned along the way that might help:
1. Don't have her throw your old plastic to try out the sport. High speed drivers and heavy discs are going to be very discouraging. Pick up a couple 150 class discs. Diamond Lites are a great beginner disc. This way she can work on form and getting used to the movement rather than trying to overpower a heavy/fast disc.
2. Remind her that the first few rounds are horrible for EVERYONE! You have to tough it out. It gets better and you will fall in love with the sport!
3. Introduce her to other women in the area that play. Especially as a beginner it can be hard to play with groups of experienced men all the time. I was lucky to be introduced to the sport by a group of guys who were incredibly encouraging and supportive. But it's a whole different experience playing with other women, and it will introduce her to the amazing community disc golf offers, on top of being a spectacular sport.
4. Have her join the DiscGolf4Women group on Facebook. Very active and encouraging group of ladies who can offer tips and encouragement.

Yay disc golf!