• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Turn Back, Not Reach Back

Pymm

* Ace Member *
I've watched a lot of video lately and realized that I was reaching back too early in my run up and not turning my torso but actually just reaching back from my shoulder. We played last night (only got in 12 holes before dark) and I really worked on turning my torso (about the time of my x-step) instead of reaching back from the shoulder and then holding that position until my front foot plant. Boom, 25-30 thirty feet more distance off the tee from that one simple thing. It's funny how easy it was as well; I did it a couple times and it felt natural and smooth. Still need to work on firing my elbow through and some other stuff but this one thing had an immediate positive effect, so I wanted to share.

I've watched a lot of video lately and realized that I was reaching back too early in my run up and not turning my torso but actually just reaching back from my shoulder. We played last night (only got in 12 holes before dark) and I really worked on turning my torso (about the time of my x-step) instead of reaching back from the shoulder . . .

I have so much difficulty explaining this to people in my area. I demonstrate, specifically describe the turn, point out that the power comes from the hips rotating the torso, etc., etc., and then watch them take that all in and immediately start trying to throw with their arm just like they were doing before.

Be happy you figured this out. It is utterly beyond the comprehension of so many people who get what little power they have from their arm and shoulder musculature alone.

What I've learned from here is that from the top of the shoulder to the tip of the finger are the levers and hinges that make up the dingle arm. It's the from the feet, legs, hips and torso that the power comes to make the dingle arm do it's magic.

I have so much difficulty explaining this to people in my area. I demonstrate, specifically describe the turn, point out that the power comes from the hips rotating the torso, etc., etc.,

Man, I wish I had someone to point stuff out to me in person, while I have a disc in my hand. My playing partners and I try to help each other out but it's mostly watch a ton of video and try to emulate what you see...plus lots of fieldwork. Making progress though and it's nice to get some confirmation (beyond seeing the results, which is obviously the best confirmation) that I'm doing the right thing, so thank you!

It's not really about reaching back.

You want to move your body around the disc.

Right, and I think I am beginning to do this by turning, not reaching back. My turn now puts my body and the disc in the right places, so when I shift into my plant my body is moving around it. Baby steps though.

What do you mean by firing your elbow through? I just don't want you to go down another incorrect path...

What do you mean by firing your elbow through? I just don't want you to go down another incorrect path...

Pulling straight through, i.e., starting the lawnmower vice swinging my forearm around early, which I do now. I am getting better but still don't push my elbow forward enough before uncocking my forearm.

I have so much difficulty explaining this to people in my area. I demonstrate, specifically describe the turn, point out that the power comes from the hips rotating the torso, etc., etc., and then watch them take that all in and immediately start trying to throw with their arm just like they were doing before.

Be happy you figured this out. It is utterly beyond the comprehension of so many people who get what little power they have from their arm and shoulder musculature alone.

I'm seriously one of those people. No amount of rereading can help me picture and understand what some people here are talking about. I need a local pro lol

Pulling straight through, i.e., starting the lawnmower vice swinging my forearm around early, which I do now. I am getting better but still don't push my elbow forward enough before uncocking my forearm.

That makes sense with the positions, but don't think about swinging the forearm with your elbow. Once you're going through the correct positions, the forearm will release correctly by swinging your shoulder.

At worst, if you concentrate on opening your forearm at the wrong time you could hyperextend your elbow.

That makes sense with the positions, but don't think about swinging the forearm with your elbow. Once you're going through the correct positions, the forearm will release correctly by swinging your shoulder.

At worst, if you concentrate on opening your forearm at the wrong time you could hyperextend your elbow.

Yes, agreed! I My goal is to get the elbow forward in the right position so that my shoulder turn causes the lever to release naturally. I was trying to do that last night but cured only the turn back part, not the elbow in the right spot part. Mostly because I have spent the few months I have been playing throwing my arm around, more like a traditional frisbee throw instead of pulling through the way I should. Trying to undo bad habits is tough but I'm getting there. Thanks for the feedback; spot on!

My brother asked me about my reach back and I had to think a while and throw a few to assess. I realized I never "reached back." I had my arm cocked already and it simply swings into position in time with the xstep. Forearm extention that I think a lot of people mistake for "reach back" occurs as a result of the disc holding still while the hips, torso, and shoulder are accelerating.

Also, I think a lot of people mistake a "traditional frisbee throw" for a good throw with said disc. (Sorry, not trying to be rude) The mechanics for both golf discs and lids are identical. Nose angle is the main variable between them. You need smooth form and proper mechanics to throw an ultimate disc the length of the field. I love catch and freestyle but it seems dgrs, for the most part, have given up on the most fun part of the game!

I think of this like I'm trying to elbow someone in the stomach who's standing between me and my target. The great thing about driving the elbow forward like this is it causes the forearm. Hand and disc to take the lauded straight path without having to think about it.

I've watched a lot of video lately and realized that I was reaching back too early in my run up and not turning my torso but actually just reaching back from my shoulder. We played last night (only got in 12 holes before dark) and I really worked on turning my torso (about the time of my x-step) instead of reaching back from the shoulder and then holding that position until my front foot plant. Boom, 25-30 thirty feet more distance off the tee from that one simple thing. It's funny how easy it was as well; I did it a couple times and it felt natural and smooth. Still need to work on firing my elbow through and some other stuff but this one thing had an immediate positive effect, so I wanted to share.

Will Schusterick explained it well. Don't just reach back, pull your non-throwing shoulder back towards the target. This sets the shoulders up for centered rotation. Makes a major difference.

Latest posts