• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Turning Right for RHBH

jenb

* Ace Member *
My biggest issue I think remains navigating right turns. I have been trying to develop a flick since last year, and I cna often get a DX whippet to do a right hand turn and skip at short range. However, I don't really have the control to make it a high percentage shot. I've been trying to anny a stingray in low and slow but I can't seem to keep it from turning into a roller yet. And my leopard turns back left at the end.

So what should I do to turn right? Keep working on flicking the whippet? Keep working on annying the stingray? Work on flicking my roc and putter? Get a wolf and try to anny that? Try to anny my putter? Which of these is likely to prove the most reliable appraoch shot for going low and right with accuracy? Is there another option I should consider?

If your Stingray and Leopard aren't working, maybe try a Cobra?

^^^ That is, if you're married to Innova. Otherwise, Comet.

have you flicked the Leo yet? the TB

the Whippet is going to be really overstable so unless you have decent FH snap already is going to be a tough disc to work with unless it is beat

the banshee, although also quite overstable, might be better to work with ahead of the whippet

you use DGR so review Blake's comments on the FH hammer pound under the secret technique thread

you have a lot of questions
a lot of the answers will depend on what distances we are talking
the stingray may not need much anhyzer angle and if it is flipping into a roller maybe all you need is to release it flat but use a different run up (i.e. from bottom right to top left for release)

but as for what to work on
a) FH
b) annys
c) flicking all discs

Also another point on the stingray is that anny's and turnovers both require a bit of a air to work properly so throwing "low" isn't really going to work. You've got to give them enough air so that (1) they don't turn into rollers and (2) the disc starts to float closer to flat when it lands so it won't cut and roll away. In other words, you want the disc to land closer to this ___ than this \.

What plastic and weight of your Leopard and Stingray? Both should be decent turnover discs.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see your Sig.

Get a star Stingray or a little lighter Leopard or beat up the one you have.

You shouldn't have to anny a Stingray or Leopard to get it to turn. Thrown flat, both the Leopard and the Stingrays should bust a Ritchie during the high speed portion of their flight.

Keep working on flicking the whippet?
Yes.
Keep working on annying the stingray?
Yes.
Work on flicking my roc and putter?
Yes.
Get a wolf and try to anny that?
No.
Try to anny my putter?
Yes.
Which of these is likely to prove the most reliable appraoch shot for going low and right with accuracy?
The forehand with something overstable. It's the "low" part that makes a forehand a really good choice. Most anhyzers and turnovers require some height.

I've probably asked this before, but have you done the hammer pound drills? They do a pretty good job of teaching a decent forehand shot.

My off the shelf ESP Meteor is as good for anny/turnover shots as my well used Star and Champ Stingrays. When I want to go left, I almost always use a Leopard, Stingray or now the Meteor. So you have good discs for the type shot I think.

Avenger SS right off the shelf is a great anhyzer/roller disc.

Like garu said, if you have to keep it really low it'll be tough to get much distance and right turn out of an anny with a slower disc. Do you use another more neutral fairway driver? Working on forehands with that will give you more options and more control over when the disc breaks right. Also, you could try something like a dx cheetah (broken in), you won't need as much height to get a controllable turn over shot.

If it has to be low then the flick is probably your best option. You can also try your Stingray as an intentional roller (stand it up early so it's sure to turn), this will take some practice but it does work.

If it doesn't have to be thrown low try using your Stingray as a stall shot. This is where you throw it to a point up fairly high (15-25') where the apex is just past the obstacle that you want to clear and where you want it to start to turn. You want to hit this point with the disc just tilted right (anhyzer assuming RHBH) so that it will then fall to the right. It should then float in gently and avoid the dreaded roll.

I, for one, have nearly given up on a forehand. I feel I have considerably more control with stable/understable discs turning them right. I have recently added a glide, which I LOVE to shorter range right turns. Throw it flat and it turns right well. The leopard turns right naturally as well, and I use a Beast or Quarter K 2 for really long range right turns.

As far as going to the right with an anny, I would say a Mako for a mid, a river for a fairway driver, and I guess I'm not so sure with a distance driver, but I guess I would throw something like my beast again....not sure about this one though

I'm really surprised I haven't seen someone say this yet. Get a lighter leopard. My GF came across a 150 dx leopard and has been falling in love with that thing. The rest of her bag is heavier stuff, 165-175, but that leopard has been fantastic for her. She's been learning great control with it, from hyzer flips to annys that finish all the way right without straightening out at the end. Being a lighter disc, it'll be much easier to get it to carry all the way right with some snap in it. I think that might be the best solution to your issue.

Like everyone else has said, there's no real way to get a low anny shot, you'll need height to make it work. We have a wicked left to right mando on our home course, about 225', and I've been in the same boat as you. I never use a flick shot, always RHBH, but I found anny's to be too inconsistent on this hole. I've had great success learning a flick on this hole, still the only thing I use the flick shot for, best piece of advice I've gotten on that is to keep your elbow tight to your hip. As tough as the hole is, it's become one of my favorites. It's either a low driver flick shot or a big high sweeping anny with a putter. Driver flick has been more consistent but when I clear the mando with the putter anny it's an ace run.