• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Turnover or bad form?

Taekwondodo

I throw RHBH, average throw is right around 300', longest is about 350'. Throwing a champ starfire (175g)

So, when ever i throw my Starfire full power, it dives strongly to the right, most of the time not coming back. so my question is, is this because I have bad form (rolling my wrist or whatever), or because I have too much power for a Starfire and am turning it over every time, and if so should i move to a more stable disc? The later seems unlikely to me due to the fact im only throwing 300'.

Also, how can you tell the difference between a turnover and bad form?

Thanks in advance :)

For that range, its form.

Generally, if it is turning over, its usually not described as diving hard right but will be a more subtle turn. When its form, which is not always bad as long as you can do it on command and control it, usually it is a very hard turn, unless its something really understable, like a Kite, and that a Starfire is not.

Its definitely form, a Champ Starfire is a beefy disc. Trying to throw 100% power most often leads to shanks, throwing off timing and form. The easiest way to tell if you have good form is the throw your putter or mid and see how that flies.

Also, how can you tell the difference between a turnover and bad form?

Disc down a bit and try to throw a Roc or equivalent mid range the same way, with a near full power drive. If it flips into a roller or turns into another it's form.

FWIW, I used to use a Starfire, 168. Quite stable...It was flat and straight to 340ish, no problem, which was as far as I could throw it. I would think that a 175 Starfire is easily capable of 400+ without any sign of turning. Not that I have the arm for that...

From what I understand, the Champ Starfire-X won't start getting squirrley until you're throwing it 450'. Even then it's not a turn and burn, it's just difficult to control the turn. At your distance there won't be very many uncontrolably understable discs and most of them will be lidlike putters.

Latest posts