• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Twin Cities

goob069

Gonna be in the twin cities area to play for 4 days. I'm looking at a hotel in the Minnetonka area. Is this a good area? It look to be in between all the course we are going to play and easy freeway access. I'm just not sure of the area. I've looked closer to the airport but I'm not interested in all the traffic and the noise. Were gonna play the 3 rivers courses and of course BRP (the reason for the trip). Any other suggestions of a good area to get a hotel that's close to food and easy freeway access?

If BRP and 3 Rivers are the courses, I would be looking at hotels in Plymouth/Maple Grove at any of the exits on the I-494 stretch between I-394 and I-94.

Hotekls

I'm looking at Holiday Inn resorts because I have points to burn. There is one in Minnetonka that looks ok, I'm just not sure of the area. It's between all the courses and I would like some feedback of the area it's in. It's like 15 minute to either arbor lakes or the mall of america. Those area seen to have all the eating options and some after round drinks. I looked to arbor lake area but Holiday Inn wont cooperate with me(i need 2 double beds). So much for being a platinum member.:confused: Any dinner suggestions, local nice hang outs or great food?

Nothing wrong with the neighborhood in Minnetonka. It's one of the ritziest areas in the Twin Cities. It's a little bit trickier to get around than other parts of the Twin Cities due to all of the lake shoreline to navigate.

If it's the Holiday Inn Express off of shady oak road, its a great spot. All the main highways are right their. Most people who live here would not think of that as Minnetonka, but I guess it is after looking on the google.

Thanks for all the input. It looks like that will be the place. I can't wait to be able to play all the great courses. Any local hang out/great food place we shouldn't miss?

I have been out there for months (on and off) for work and have played the entire area and been touristy. But as an "outsider", Minnetonka is a little more out of the way than it seems and Chuck is correct on the area you would want to try to find a place to stay for those courses. Plus you will be going with traffic during rush hours which will eat more time than you'd expect. Depending on how much other playing vs bar hopping you might want to do Roseville or Coon Rapids (not as nice imo) are other good options to staying on the northside as well. There is a shopping center near both where you can get supplies, fast food, and some of your standards.

There are plenty of courses worth playing in the area, but I would definitely add Kaposia to the list. It's not as pretty as the 3 River courses but it's a great play and possibly more challenging. If you try to play all 3 Three Rivers courses on the same day (to save the money on the park passes), I would play Hyland last. It can take a toll on you. I'd go Elm Creek, Bryant Lake, then Hyland.

For eating/drinking depending on your tastes, I prefer Northeast (Minneapolis) and Uptown (Minneapolis) for restaurants/bars. Both have decent varieties of places and good people watching.
South Saint Paul has a decent area as well if you hit Kaposia (or Oakwood or CP Adams or The Valley). I have a Word Document somewhere with what I found and where to go if you are interested I will look for it and email it to you if your interested. Just shoot me a PM if you are. I'll let true local take it from here.

Not sure if you are a micro brew guy, but if you are I would check and see if Surly is doing tours when you are up here. They are free besides a can food donation, and you get to drink some good beer.

Is the hotel you are going to stay at the Holiday Inn Express on Shady oak road? If so, don't let the others scare you away. That hotel is less then a mile from Bryant and good location to get out of. Plus plenty of food options right their.

I work in the toursim here in a hotel not far from where you're staying.
5/8 Club for the Juicy Lucy Burgers that are from here and it's right off from the airport and would be a good spot if you want to hit the Fort Snelling course,
In Edina about 3 miles Northeast of Hyland (part of 3 rivers) is the original Pancake house which I recomend stopping by.
There is Psyco Suzies in Minneapolis which is really good local spot http://psychosuzis.com/
Great Waters Brewery in St Paul has really good food and great in house brewed beer, as mentioned before too try to hit up Surlys!

The micro brews are a good find thanks, We'll check them out. Were planning on playing as much as my arm will let me. BRP, the 3 rivers of course, the valley, Kaposia and more are in the plan as well. I booked the shady oaks holiday inn (thanks for the input). We are coming form MI on the boat to WI and then gonna play the towers in Eau-Claire on the way to MSP. We will then have from Sun to Thurs to play in MN. I appreciate all the ideas and the info. Its just like each city has one "can't miss" place to eat or visit and the micro brew look to be that place.

PM sent to whitechocolate

Latest posts