• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Two Divisions or Multiple Divisions

A big open event around here used a sliding entry fee last year to increase participation in the open field. It went something like this:

DIVISIONS OFFERED: PRO DIVISIONS ONLY – (NO SEPARATE AMATEUR DIVISIONS)
MPO (Open to all Men) – SLIDING ENTRY FEE BASED ON PLAYER RATING (AS FOLLOWS)ADD $3 if using paypal.
980 and over = $90
950-979 = $75
920-949 = $60
919 and under = $45
MPG (Men over 50) = $60
FPO (Ladies) = $50

I though it was a pretty good idea.

Unity said:
Say you typically have 15 rec, 15 int, and 15 adv.

This would be more ideal, but that is far from typical in this area. It's more like 10 adv, 20 int and 25 rec. Hence the arguement that we are rewarding mediorce play and encouraging sandbagging. On top of that AMs usually out number pros 3 to 1

I think that you need int, adv, and pro divisions atleast. I don't think rec is needed in most smaller tourneys. There are many levels of disc golfers and I think each should have a chance to compete if they want too.

Disc golf should be a friendly sport. I always want new people to try out disc golf. I also want people that aren't very good to come to things like league and even tournaments. It is all about experience. The more they get, the better they get. There are plenty of people that would go even if they know they won't win. But I guarentee that there are plenty of people that wouldn't go to more than 1 if they knew they had no chance of winning.

The more people going to tournaments will only help grow the sport.

sandbagging is always going to happen. Some people will do anything it takes to win or have an advantage. Without requiring everyone to have a pdga type of number and keeping track of every score you couldn't force people to play in the correct brackets.

uNicedmeMan said:
A big open event around here used a sliding entry fee last year to increase participation in the open field. It went something like this:

MPO (Open to all Men) – SLIDING ENTRY FEE BASED ON PLAYER RATING (AS FOLLOWS)ADD $3 if using paypal.
980 and over = $90
950-979 = $75
920-949 = $60
919 and under = $45
MPG (Men over 50) = $60
FPO (Ladies) = $50

How did this turn out? Do you have a breakdown per division, and the a breakdown of the people who cashed by division?

Timko said:
uNicedmeMan said:

980 and over = $90
950-979 = $75
920-949 = $60
919 and under = $45
MPG (Men over 50) = $60
FPO (Ladies) = $50

How did this turn out? Do you have a breakdown per division, and the a breakdown of the people who cashed by division?

I didn't play but here is the link to the PDGA results page.

Latest posts