• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Two Fold Question

Wolfman

Bogey Member
Over the last 2 weeks i have been changing to a new backhand throw cause i want to improve my game out of the 14days i have played 12 and it is getting better i am no longer trying to stong arm the disc and am throwing my Champ Teebird 250ft on average i would like to hit a 325ft average by June. Do you guys have any advice on how to throw farther.

I am having trouble with accuracy and distance after yesterday and today. This morning i also woke up with a pain in my right shoulder between the shoulder blade and neck the pain feels like a tear of either a muscle or tendon. Idk what i should do. Is there maybe a problem with my form and technique or is this just from overthrowing. Also what is a quick remedy cause i want to get back as soon as possible but if i have to i will take a few days off. I tried to play today in hopes it was just sore and stretching and throwing a little would help but it made it worse so i get a big fail for the day :doh:

Sounds like you are overthrowing and using too much shoulder and not enough forearm snap. Been there, done that. Soemtimes I still do. If I am throwing well (rare), I can throw for as many rounds as I want and not have arm problems. Excepting using a thumber. That's a little tougher on the arm adn shoulder. Find the thread on here about the Dan Beato video or just go to youtube and watch it. Go to a field and do the right pec drills to get the form down. Someone on here said smooth is far, and that is correct. Relax and don't try to muscle it out there. Good luck. And rest the arm until there is no pain. Might be a good time just to practice some putting.

youtube videos will really help. You should probably take a few days off you are hurting. believe it or not playing too often you will find you start to play worse that means you need a break.

Now this afternoon i went out and played a couple rounds on the harder of the two 9 hole sections and actually played my two best rounds ever. The pain wasnt to bad cause i think i was doing what sloppy was talking about and overthrowing today i just focused on staying comfortable and relaxed and it seemed alright. It does hurt really bad right now but pills seems to be doing the trick. It was insanely windy today like 40mph gusts so i didnt throw in the field to get drive practice hopefully tomorrow depending on the arm.

Thanks i have done most of the stuff from the beato video and can throw 150 from the standstill i think im gonna try a little farther run up and see what happens right now im only taking about a step and a half so maybe two and a half steps will work

Don't know about you but I'm old. I have to take off a day if I've played three days straight.

Now this afternoon i went out and played a couple rounds on the harder of the two 9 hole sections and actually played my two best rounds ever. The pain wasnt to bad cause i think i was doing what sloppy was talking about and overthrowing today i just focused on staying comfortable and relaxed and it seemed alright. It does hurt really bad right now but pills seems to be doing the trick. It was insanely windy today like 40mph gusts so i didnt throw in the field to get drive practice hopefully tomorrow depending on the arm.

Thanks i have done most of the stuff from the beato video and can throw 150 from the standstill i think im gonna try a little farther run up and see what happens right now im only taking about a step and a half so maybe two and a half steps will work

You may have developed some tendonitis. It's common to develop it when performing a motion repeatedly that your muscles aren't used to.

Take 3-4 days off. Then go out with a camera and get some video of your throws. Everybody will be slightly different, but see if you're hitting the important points of the Beato video. It's hard to analyze and perform at the same time, you may accidentally lie to yourself thinking you're doing something right when you're not. The video won't lie though.

Ill try and take some video tomorrow. I dont know if im lying most of the people im playing with said it looks fine but if im not hitting 300' i think its ****. Ive been having a few release problems like letting go to early or late which might be from playing to much 2 days ago i took a day off but maybe ill take the rest of the week off of driving after i take video tomorrow and just putt. Then saturday start again

Standstill throw

Keep working the standstill. I can get to 175' consistently with a putter and probably half the time i can get it to 200'. That's nothing though. There are plenty of people that can launch much futher from a standstill. It does help to learn and emphasize the snap. I'm long overdue myself for some field practice.

Lay off the pills and rest. Pills just mask the pain. Take a week and relax. Putt or play with your off hand. If you really hurt the shoulder you'll be out a lot longer. There are some injury threads on here. Not pretty stories.

Over the last 2 weeks i have been changing to a new backhand throw cause i want to improve my game out of the 14days i have played 12 and it is getting better i am no longer trying to stong arm the disc and am throwing my Champ Teebird 250ft on average i would like to hit a 325ft average by June. Do you guys have any advice on how to throw farther.

I am having trouble with accuracy and distance after yesterday and today. This morning i also woke up with a pain in my right shoulder between the shoulder blade and neck the pain feels like a tear of either a muscle or tendon. Idk what i should do. Is there maybe a problem with my form and technique or is this just from overthrowing. Also what is a quick remedy cause i want to get back as soon as possible but if i have to i will take a few days off. I tried to play today in hopes it was just sore and stretching and throwing a little would help but it made it worse so i get a big fail for the day :doh:

Sounds like you strained a your trap muscle. I did this when I was learning backhand too. Its likely from using too much arm and doing too much. Rest a week or two, stretch lightly, take some Ibuprofen, and ice it. Ibuprofen doesn't mask the pain, it reduces the swelling and inflammation associated with muscle strains.

Thanks alot for all the advice ill take a few days off from throwing with that arm and learn to throw lefty and putt practice should be ok right?

Thanks alot for all the advice ill take a few days off from throwing with that arm and learn to throw lefty and putt practice should be ok right?

As long as it doesn't hurt, you should be ok with that. Make sure to warm up and stretch before going full out on driving again. Also if you practice driving with your putters/mids, you quickly learn not to strong arm them.

I went out and putted most of the day but it hurt a little so i just went with some buddies and messed around playing lefty it was actually a good change of pace and was alot of fun.

Latest posts