• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

two parts

solomon.trenton

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
1) does anyone have a problem lifting your shoulder up when you drive backhand? how did you correct it?

2) when throwing forearm have you ever got a cut and/or callous on your finger right on the second knuckle? (this is where my disc sit and it is incredibly uncomfortable.)

part 1. do you mean to say elbow. I've just started to pay attention to this aspect of keeping my elbow up. The better players in my area keep telling that is my major form problem but when I try it my drives go nose up and 50 feet in the air. I hope someone here has some pointers for this issue.

2) when throwing forearm have you ever got a cut and/or callous on your finger right on the second knuckle? (this is where my disc sit and it is incredibly uncomfortable.)

I have a wicked callous near my third knuckle where the disc sits. Unless i tape it up its painful by the third hole. masking tape is my preferred tape, its closest to skin texture. once taped up i don't even know its there.

Last edited:
For #1, the problem isn't that you are lifting your front shoulder, but you are dropping your back shoulder. My problem was I tried to put too much power behind my drives, and I would end up kinda over extending on my pull through, and as a result my back shoulder would drop and my disc would say hello to the sun. Try to slow down you approach/X-step and don't throw at 100%, start slow and work up to speed and distance. Another thing that helped (not on the course, but in practice), never take your eyes off the disc. Watch how you are holding it going through your approach, pull through and release. The disc should be going straight across you chest, right across or just under you nipples. lol If once in a while you hit your chest, thats ok, at least you know you have the right height on your pull through.

Try using just a band aid, or tape. I've tried duct tape, but sometimes it provides too much grip - which sometimes is actually a good thing. I second the masking tape - cheaper than band aids, but it doesn't form to your skin as well.

For #1, the problem isn't that you are lifting your front shoulder, but you are dropping your back shoulder. My problem was I tried to put too much power behind my drives, and I would end up kinda over extending on my pull through, and as a result my back shoulder would drop and my disc would say hello to the sun. Try to slow down you approach/X-step and don't throw at 100%, start slow and work up to speed and distance. Another thing that helped (not on the course, but in practice), never take your eyes off the disc. Watch how you are holding it going through your approach, pull through and release. The disc should be going straight across you chest, right across or just under you nipples. lol If once in a while you hit your chest, thats ok, at least you know you have the right height on your pull through.
he said nipples:eek:......:D

You shouldn't get a callouse from flicking. The last part of your hand on the disc before release should be your middle finger. Sounds like you are gripping really tight and letting the disc rip out of your grip. This should not happen. You release the grip as your two fingers point toward the target and propels the disc forward. Try just a wrisrt flick with no arm and no run up and just flip the disc forward with one or two fingers.

2. Try two fingers on the inside of the rim.

I have a similar problem with the rim tearing the skin back from one specific knuckle. I wrap the knuckle with athletic tape. It is cheap, flexible, and unobtrusive. Plus, it was designed to stick right to the skin so it stays on if sweaty, dirty, etc.

part 1. do you mean to say elbow. I've just started to pay attention to this aspect of keeping my elbow up. The better players in my area keep telling that is my major form problem but when I try it my drives go nose up and 50 feet in the air. I hope someone here has some pointers for this issue.

pay attention to some of your drives, when you get to your hit, where is your weight centered? if it is on or near the rear of your pivot foot then you will tend to throw high. Keep all of your weight over your front foot. This will also help you form a better follow through and will get you more distance and control.

"2) when throwing forearm have you ever got a cut and/or callous on your finger right on the second knuckle? (this is where my disc sit and it is incredibly uncomfortable.) "

I'm assuming that you're talking about your index finger? If this is the case, another approach that helped me with this same issue was to move my index finger from being immediately behind the middle finger to being a little more towards the center of the disc. Sort of a modified peace sign grip. There is a picture of this on the Innova site under sidearm grips. The picture they show is a little extreme from what I do. I basically back the index finger off the middle finger about an inch. Doing so had an immediate impact on the way the disc ripped out--causing a lot less friction on the affected area. You will lose a little power from doing this though (at least that was the case for me.) My index finger is became so heavily calloused that I was able to go back to the convential 2 finger grip without any issues. Looks like a reptilian ridge on the edge of my finger...my sons think its cool.

I also read somewhere to take fine grit sandpaper or an emery board and sand down the sharp flashing that is somewhat pronounced on some discs. I only occasionally have to do this on certain discs where it is really bad.

If the feeling of it doesnt bother you, put a piece of tape or a bandaid where the callus is, that will protect it.

i tried the tape and as i sometimes throw backhand and curl my fingers underneath the disc the tape falls off. any ideas on super resilent yet flexible tape?

i tried the tape and as i sometimes throw backhand and curl my fingers underneath the disc the tape falls off. any ideas on super resilent yet flexible tape?

When I do the tape thing I literally wrap it twice around that part of my index finger. Not to tight so that its flexible, but then there's no worries about it falling off. I have been carrying a roll of masking tape in my bag for a month now just for this.