• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ugh...it's awful, but it's me...

Skamanda

Double Eagle Member
First decent video I could get (aside from Ziggy's commentary), since I started throwing regularly again. I used to get around 430 feet of distance, but now that I've transitioned, I'm peaking just over 300. Any advice would be helpful. This shot was pretty poorly aimed, and was an utterly demolished Crank Ziggy gave me (it's literally the only thing I've been able to flip since I started getting serious about playing again, and it just dives over unless I totally soft arm it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5dcly5TM2g

Can you explain what that will do for my shot? I know I was being a little lazy with my reach back on this shot, and that I didn't bring the disc as close to my chest as I could (I'm still learning to work around my chest not being as flat as it was when I was at my peak distance), but other than having more reach back, how does that improve distance, exactly?

IMO two reasons:

1) power leak: seems to me like you are doing a version of this ^ timestamp 3:48 (keep watching until ~5 min or so). because you are already coiled when you take your plant step, you are letting the power leak out because it has nowhere to go. The whole video paired with SW22's is a good watch.

2) space for the disc to move: you're dropping your elbow (no space for the disc to move in and out of the pocket), which is resulting in the shot being sawed off. letting your arm unfold from completely creates a longer whip. if you walk around the disc, or pendulum or whatever, you give the disc more space and for your arm to unfold.

These were shared with me, and while it isn't completely fixed, it's been very helpful to reducing the problem. I can't overstate how incredible that SW video is though:

look at how Bradley Williams has is tilted over the disc and his elbow stays out

Lastly, and most importantly, why Charleston Chew (haha)?

The whole video paired with SW22's is a good watch.

I don't doubt it, I'm just having trouble drawing meaning from it. It explains a process, but I'm having a hard time understanding its purpose...

Lastly, and most importantly, why Charleston Chew (haha)?

hahaha you'd have to know Ziggy (Bierekoven, team Disccraft). His humor is a bit...absurdist by nature. Hence the "pleasure fest" remarks...

He's a lot of fun to golf with!

Can you explain what that will do for my shot? I know I was being a little lazy with my reach back on this shot, and that I didn't bring the disc as close to my chest as I could (I'm still learning to work around my chest not being as flat as it was when I was at my peak distance), but other than having more reach back, how does that improve distance, exactly?

It's more about how your entire posture moves around the disc to create elastic tension and then explode through a tilted axis in the forward swing.

Right now everything is too flat and you've lost any elastic tension in the backswing. When your center of gravity moves forward, it's mostly just pulling the disc with your weight (which is good) but lacking that extra boost of your muscles being a bit stretched out before the contract with tilt (which is bad, or at least suboptimal).

When you move past the disc, you also more naturally tilt and coil properly. You should practice posture more like this in the setup and throughout the swing:

golf-setup-posture.png

FWIW I don't completely agree with how Josh talks about the coiling there, though I understand why he talks about it as a coaching point. He emphasizes the spring like action as a twist. It's more about the elastic tension across the oblique slings that occurs when you're in that posture. I only disagree with the coaching point because people sometimes torque up and twist incorrectly through the core and lose optimal tension, sometimes along with screwy leg action trying to facilitate the coil. YMMV.

Latest posts