• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Understable complement for Roc3

lol, wtf is going on in here??? OP has a Mako3 and you guys are recommending rocs and comets? What did he do to you??

What I would suggest if you want to work with something less stable than the Mako3 is to pick a 'touch' disc. What I mean by that is a fast putter, or a slow neutral/understable mid like a Pure, Dart, Mako, even an Aviar or a lid like a Birdie, Polecat, or Rattler would work. Whichever feels best in your hand.

Practice lower powered drives, upshots, and manipulating the angles and power of your release to get hyzer and anhyzer lines.

when you're really comfortable with that (or if you already are, I dont mean to assume your skill level, just trying to give general advice without knowing you...) you could work on turnovers with an understable mid like a Meteor, Tursas, Mako, or if you must, a Comet. I dont know why SD doesnt like the Comet. I cant stand the rim.

As I and others have said, a very understable midrange often has limited use between putters which are easier to control for low powered shots, and understable fairways which can be more predictable for high powered shots.

whatever you decide, have fun and only throw rocs and comets if you have no other choice. :)

It seems the payoff of having a mid less stable than the Mako3 is negligible. Like many have said, understable fairway drivers and putters can fill the gap. I think I will keep my Mako3 in the bag and if I really feel the need for a bead, I'll grab my VCobra or give my shiny, new Wombat3 a chance.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It seems the payoff of having a mid less stable than the Mako3 is negligible. Like many have said, understable fairway drivers and putters can fill the gap. I think I will keep my Mako3 in the bag and if I really feel the need for a bead, I'll grab my VCobra or give my shiny, new Wombat3 a chance.

How's that Wombat3 doing for you? How does it fly?

It just came in today, but I'll let you know once I get my foot out of this boot. Had foot surgery at the beginning of the month and should be getting stitches out tomorrow.

It just came in today, but I'll let you know once I get my foot out of this boot. Had foot surgery at the beginning of the month and should be getting stitches out tomorrow.

Ouch. Hope things go well for you and you can get back to DG soon.

Don't know if it's already been said, but beat in a DX Roc3. Or a DX FT Roc. Roc cycles are a thing of beauty.

bcz he also has a Mako3 which will hold an anhyzer just fine and some of us are mad at comets.

and apparently he also has a wombat3 which im sure would work if he wants to fill the slow flying US spot.

edit : i missed the beaded thing though. ya... where ya gonna go for beaded understable? there are better feeling mako3s (buzzz ss, claymore, new run truth) i guess the truth has a microbead... but i see where youre going with the comet & seasoned roc3s.

Last edited:
I'm a Roc3 and Comet guy. I've found really stiff Z Comets to feel "awkhard" in the hand, just like stiff Rancho Rocs do. It's that slow rising dome that the really stiff ones have that is a turn off for me. Any Comet is a plastic with any give in the flight plate seems to mold up a little flatter (similar to a Roc3) and is more comfortable to me.

I don't have anything against Comets. Never actually thrown one, to be honest. A beaded equivalent of a Mako3 would be nice, but I guess it's just me being picky and superficial. I like the way the bead on my Roc3, Stud, Colt, and P1x feels and just think it would be nice to have that consistent feel with my US mid as well. It's not a deal breaker for me, though. With all the disc variations they have, it shouldn't be too hard to put a bead on a Mako3. I'd be the first to buy one or a VMako3. That would be something.

The idea of cycling Roc3's sounds interesting. However, I like my discs to throw a line out of the box. I don't get out enough to spend time working a disc in or seasoning them. That's why I buy Star and Champion plastics. I want them to fly the way intended for as long as possible.

A Comet would definitely fit in nicely with those molds you mentioned.

In terms of cycling, you don't have to buy everything new. There's a sucker born every minute who throws a disc hundreds of times and doesn't realize the amount of confidence that's built in the mold. Plus you would get it for cheaper than new.

It's not a deal breaker for me, though. With all the disc variations they have, it shouldn't be too hard to put a bead on a Mako3. I'd be the first to buy one or a VMako3. That would be something.

Honestly, a Mako3 is a VMako3. Someone will I am sure correct me if I am wrong, but the "Vtech" is just adding a convex bottom wing to a disc that either previously had a concave or straight bottom wing. The Mako3 already has a convex bottom wing, so there is not really any room to add "Vtech".

Bunch of wonky form torque monkeys. :) Mako3s and Comets, out of the box, are stable, not truly understable, until you wear them in. (Yes, I'm sure there are exceptions...stop it, we're talking in general here.)

An understable mid is extremely useful to me. Think Stingray, M5, Antidote... I think you get a more truly understable flight from these than you do most "understable" putters.

The only way to know, OP, is to test some out and see if you like what they offer over the Mako3.

Bunch of wonky form torque monkeys. :) Mako3s and Comets, out of the box, are stable, not truly understable, until you wear them in. (Yes, I'm sure there are exceptions...stop it, we're talking in general here.)

An understable mid is extremely useful to me. Think Stingray, M5, Antidote... I think you get a more truly understable flight from these than you do most "understable" putters.

The only way to know, OP, is to test some out and see if you like what they offer over the Mako3.

True, but... that's why I like X Comets ;)

The Gateway Element is pretty understable out of the box, if that's your thing.

Honestly, a Mako3 is a VMako3. Someone will I am sure correct me if I am wrong, but the "Vtech" is just adding a convex bottom wing to a disc that either previously had a concave or straight bottom wing. The Mako3 already has a convex bottom wing, so there is not really any room to add "Vtech".

The bead is part of VTech, and the Mako3 has no bead. So it's not VTech.

I don't have anything against Comets. Never actually thrown one, to be honest. A beaded equivalent of a Mako3 would be nice, but I guess it's just me being picky and superficial. I like the way the bead on my Roc3, Stud, Colt, and P1x feels and just think it would be nice to have that consistent feel with my US mid as well. It's not a deal breaker for me, though. With all the disc variations they have, it shouldn't be too hard to put a bead on a Mako3. I'd be the first to buy one or a VMako3. That would be something.

Did you say you've tried a VCobra? Because that would suit you well: it's beaded, and it'll beat in to stable/understable.

Also, I have not tried the new Manta yet, but it's supposed to be a V-Stingray and therefore understable. It might be what you seek.

Latest posts