• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Understable disc to hold a turn to the ground

Been having trouble figuring out if it's me or my discs causing me to have headaches throwing those RHBH anni shots that end up flying to the right.

I had a Star Leo for my understable disc, but I find that at least half the time I try to hyzer flip it I'm not having success turning it over. This disc is way more stable than my old DX leo, for reference. Perhaps it's just the one I got is a beef stick compared to normal ones or Pro plastic ones like everyone likes here. If I deliberately put it on an Anni I can get it to do what I want, but I'd prefer to throw it flat or hyzer for those shots since I'm not very good at throwing anni shots yet.

I went out and got a GStar Roadrunner because I assumed it would be easier to flip than my Star Leo.... well I was wrong. Now there is a weight difference, my Leo is only 165 and my roadrunner is 175... but this just doesn't seem right.

I threw it only a handful of times at the course last week and my roadrunner acted more like my teebird than an understable disc. I couldn't even get it to flip from hyzer, I had to literally put anni on it to get it to even try to turn over and go to the right.

Maybe it's me, maybe it's just this disc. Perhaps I should have gotten an understable mid range or something in the speed 6-7 category instead?

For reference, I can toss my 165 Gstar Teebird about 275-350 depending on if i get a good toss and can let it flip up. For the most part if I keep my Teebird hyzer it doesn't flip, but if I release it flat I'll get a flip, if that helps you to figure out my power range. I've been working up to speed 9 discs, like Thunderbird but I still can't get those out as far as my teebird consistently.

Not sure if it's just a bad disc that I got, maybe I shouldn't be throwing 175 and should stick to 165 stuff, or perhaps i just need to hit the field and work on throwing a proper anni shot ... but I feel like I shouldn't have to throw anni to get a turn out of a -4 turn disc with 1 fade.

Been having trouble figuring out if it's me or my discs causing me to have headaches throwing those RHBH anni shots that end up flying to the right.

I had a Star Leo for my understable disc, but I find that at least half the time I try to hyzer flip it I'm not having success turning it over. This disc is way more stable than my old DX leo, for reference. Perhaps it's just the one I got is a beef stick compared to normal ones or Pro plastic ones like everyone likes here. If I deliberately put it on an Anni I can get it to do what I want, but I'd prefer to throw it flat or hyzer for those shots since I'm not very good at throwing anni shots yet.

I went out and got a GStar Roadrunner because I assumed it would be easier to flip than my Star Leo.... well I was wrong. Now there is a weight difference, my Leo is only 165 and my roadrunner is 175... but this just doesn't seem right.

I threw it only a handful of times at the course last week and my roadrunner acted more like my teebird than an understable disc. I couldn't even get it to flip from hyzer, I had to literally put anni on it to get it to even try to turn over and go to the right.

Maybe it's me, maybe it's just this disc. Perhaps I should have gotten an understable mid range or something in the speed 6-7 category instead?

For reference, I can toss my 165 Gstar Teebird about 275-350 depending on if i get a good toss and can let it flip up. For the most part if I keep my Teebird hyzer it doesn't flip, but if I release it flat I'll get a flip, if that helps you to figure out my power range. I've been working up to speed 9 discs, like Thunderbird but I still can't get those out as far as my teebird consistently.

Not sure if it's just a bad disc that I got, maybe I shouldn't be throwing 175 and should stick to 165 stuff, or perhaps i just need to hit the field and work on throwing a proper anni shot ... but I feel like I shouldn't have to throw anni to get a turn out of a -4 turn disc with 1 fade.
I just got a 175g F2 *RR and it flies like you are describing. I wanted it for a out-of-box roller but it has a nice 9/4/-1/2 flight to it. It bombs on forehand hyzerflips though so I'm not too mad

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Flight numbers are dependent on arm speed and technique. A fresh max weight Roadrunner is not going to be flippy unless you can get it up to speed.

I'll recommend the 7-speed Lat64 Maul.

Flight numbers are dependent on arm speed and technique. A fresh max weight Roadrunner is not going to be flippy unless you can get it up to speed.

A fresh max weight Champ or Star Roadrunner isn't going to be flippy at any speed, with clean form. But they get there.

If you can get 325' out of a Teebird pretty consistently I would think you would be able to turn a Gstar Roadrunner just fine. The Star Leo I'm not surprised with, they can be surprisingly stable and it may fly -1/1 at that distance or even -0.5/2 if they are a very stable version. Of course it should hopefully beat in to -2/1, but the GStar Roadrunner should be less stable than the Leo.

I would make sure you are throwing nose down, and that you have a good nose down grip. This is a situation where Innova doesn't have super flippy stuff in that range, but you are throwing hard enough that I would think the RR would be doing ok. Some Trilogy discs are much less stable than the numbers suggest, so you can look at something like an Underworld if you want a disc more guaranteed to turn. Or at least try out some of those different molds when you play with people who bag them. Just make sure that you can hyzer flip to turn some flippy discs so it's not your grip/form, and that you ended up with some stable versions of the Leo and RR.

FWIW the Leo and RR that are beat in the right amount for your arm speed are as good or better than anything else I have tried, so hopefully they get sorted out for you with some wear in.

A fresh max weight Champ or Star Roadrunner isn't going to be flippy at any speed, with clean form. But they get there.

Been wanting to try a RR and got my first one from a used bin, lightly beat 175g domey champ glow. Flies pretty much like a Valk or SOLS for me at this point.

Been wanting to try a RR and got my first one from a used bin, lightly beat 175g domey champ glow. Flies pretty much like a Valk or SOLS for me at this point.

There's potentially a ton of overlap from Valk to SW to RR depending on the plastic and disc. The feel/shape is a bit different between them but they can really take each others place a lot of the time. Of course, it's not too surprising that champ glow made the RR stable. I am surprised that a Gstar RR would be stable for OP though, but I haven't thrown many of those. The Gstar RR and SW I have tried would all turn over from a hyzer release for me and absolutely bomb.

The Discraft Heat is the only driver I've thrown that, even when fresh, I could throw hard with a hyzer release and have it finish to the right. The DD Maverick also seemed like a pretty decent disc for this shot when I borrowed a friend's, though I was admittedly giving it just a little bit of encouragement to move right with my throwing angle.

If you really want something from Innova that will do the same thing, you're probably going to want to get an understable disc in Pro plastic. After a few rounds a disc in Pro plastic will fly like a moderately beat disc so that you can get it moving right, whereas it will take a lot longer to get a Star disc to this level of wear. My Star Leopard is over a year old and I'm still not really confident throwing it on turnover lines unless I have a lot of room to work with on the left so that I can throw it high and with significant angle.

There's potentially a ton of overlap from Valk to SW to RR depending on the plastic and disc. The feel/shape is a bit different between them but they can really take each others place a lot of the time. Of course, it's not too surprising that champ glow made the RR stable. I am surprised that a Gstar RR would be stable for OP though, but I haven't thrown many of those. The Gstar RR and SW I have tried would all turn over from a hyzer release for me and absolutely bomb.

I have a Champ version of each, and they're pretty much interchangeable. I was hoping the RR would be more US but nothing else gets me crazy FH distance from a standstill.

Where's the DX Roadrunner when you need one!:popcorn:

An X-Heat is good option, but I didn't like the feel of them and the one I had was a bit unpredictable.

Could try a Pro Leopard or a Star Roadrunner in the mid 160s. I have 4 Roadrunners and the easist one I have that gets that flight is 164gr Star.

I have a star RR that is more valk-like, so much so I had to go back to back with a friends RR to see if it is a fluke.. then I looked closer, flat topped and very high plh in comparison. It's now in the bin of unused discs... not much surprises me.

I have a star RR that is more valk-like, so much so I had to go back to back with a friends RR to see if it is a fluke.. then I looked closer, flat topped and very high plh in comparison. It's now in the bin of unused discs... not much surprises me.

Haha yeah, I remember when I threw a champ SW on a downhill hole and I guy I played with often and knew my common discs asked if it was a Destroyer. PLH governs all, I feel bad for people who read the stamp and expect them to actually flip.

Okay if you are looking for a mid, run the Fuse otherwise go with the maul, both in gold line. If the maul is more understable than your needs you could go with a River.

My go-to discs for this shot would be a Buzzz SS (for a midrange) or a lightweight Roadrunner (lower 160's in weight) as a driver. The more beat the better! I've had some success turning over a Shryke for distance anhyzers but those are touchy...especially in the wind. I also have a couple old Pro Teebirds in my arsenal that will hold an anny line but they are really beat.
They definitely don't fly like Teebirds anymore.

Yes. I like Mauls too. They will probably hold an anhyzer release a bit easier than a Roadrunner will when fresh. For his arm speed, a lighter weight Maul ~169 gm is suggested.

This is one reason I'm not into seasoning or cycling discs. If I have to throw a Champion Roadrunner for a year to get it to turn, I'd rather throw a Maul or Relay or Signal.

A Gold Line River will beat in quickly to understable goodness. An Opto River will beat in more slowly, but will get there.

Likewise, a Gold Line Fury starts out stable-to-understable, then gets more understable relatively quickly.

This is one reason I'm not into seasoning or cycling discs. If I have to throw a Champion Roadrunner for a year to get it to turn, I'd rather throw a Maul or Relay or Signal.

Buy two, use one for a week/month, then the other. That's not cycling, but rotating so that if you lose one, the other is in the same general condition while you get a new one to become the new backup.

Last edited:

Latest posts