• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Understable driver for a beginner

Stick with that river it will be a great one for you! On the understable side there are really so many options out there right now.. some have said Underworld which is great one for sure! Here are some others off the top without getting too fast ( no need to be throwing anything over speed 9 at this point)

Discraft Avenger SS
Legacy Mongoose
Innova Roadrunner
Lat64 Fury

Also, get a Comet!

Avenger SS, I have 4 in my bag from flippy roller to a stable new one. Just seem to get a little more distance then I do with my river.

Love my recycled Bolt. Started out with it more in the fields than the woods.

Also like the Patriot. It is easy to throw them on straight lines.

you really picked out some good choices.

I really like the Sidewinder / roadrunner (a lil more understable than Sidewinder)

If you're wanting a main distance driver, the BEAST is a good one, its a speed 10, with a little high speed turn, can allow for some nice long S bombs.

Good luck and have fun

Gateway Assassin for fairway and Samurai for distance. Both are easy to control and fly very straight for beginners. Samurai is probably the best disc for beginners looking to improve on max distance

I would choose the lat64 fury. As your arm speed and tech advances you can keep the fury in the bag for hyzer flips and long anny shots. The fury would be friendly for beginners, but still be useable for intermediate to advanced players. Want more understable with less long term bag potential? Try a witness.

Last edited:
Hatchet, Sword, CD2, Beast, D4. My hyzerflip distance driver for a good long time was a Prodigy 400S D4. Love that thing for dead straight lines on a hyzerflip out to around 375' that finish with enough fade to still be a reliable disc. Things like the Mamba and Renegade are too flippy for my liking.

Also, the Underworld is a great understable disc, but not quite a driver like others you were mentioning. If you like the Westside molds, a Hatchet or lightweight Sword would be my suggestion.

Hatchet I would agree for sure. However, I wouldn't consider a Sword to be understable.

(Sorry for the double post)