• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Understable drivers for beginners

I think it is a good beginner max distance disc. it isn't a good disc for them to throw off of every tee because of the speed it is hard to control due to the flippiness and speed. but I threw mine a few times lefty (I am a righty) backhand and I can throw a comet about 250 lhbh for reference and I was just messing around throwing the Daedalus and a few destroyers and I fairly consistently got the Daedalus out to 330 about 30 feet past the destroyers. so I would say they could get that out further but I would never give a beginner that to start with.

idk i gained 100+ ft from the daedalus and im not that great. it works wonders. one could say its a wonder disc...

Speed and distance are totally overrated. The best advice someone could give to a beginner would be to work your way out from the basket. In other words, focus on building putting and approach skills and then work on making your drive longer.

I am a beginner and my brother is a seasoned player. He gave me a couple of dozen discs to try and see what worked for me. The main thing he told me and seems to hold true from what I've seen is that until you can get your arm speed up, stay with slower speed discs. The fastest disc I have is a 10 and that is still just a touch fast for me. I tee off with a valkyrie and I'm getting to where I can consistently make it do what it is supposed to do.

As far as over and under stable goes for beginners my understanding is it has more to do with if you are throwing the disc flat or on a hyzer or anhyzer. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this. Plus, if you are not getting the disc up to speed it doesn't matter if it is over or under stable, the disc isn't going to do what it is designed to do.

I seem to have the best luck with a valkyrie, buzz, and truth. I sometimes throw a monarch but not a lot. Remember though I'm just a beginner, been playing maybe a month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Speed and distance are totally overrated. The best advice someone could give to a beginner would be to work your way out from the basket. In other words, focus on building putting and approach skills and then work on making your drive longer.
This it's great advice. As a beginner, playing about a month, I struggle the closer I am to the basket. I recently purchased a practice basket and decided on a practice regimen, where I start close and practice from about ten foot out from three different angles, until I make 6 of 6 from all three angles. Then move back 3 foot and do it again. I figure this should help develop confidence as well as a routine. If anyone has some other putting drills our practice advice it would be much appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Understable and overstable don't have to do with anhyzer and hyper so much, but throwing with anny and hyper can accentuate or mask those properties of a disc. It's really just about how much a disc is likely to turn right on a RHBH throw for understability, or hook left on the same throw for oberstability.

As far as putting practice goes, there are a lot of good threads in the technique section.