• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Undesirable behavior on a public course

Itchy1

Eagle Member
Ok, I know we're not supposed to talk about drugs here but I've got a serious question. A course that recently went into my home town has started to get complaints about profanity and drug use. I want to get ride of these behaviors as quickly and as quietly (for the sake of our already tarnished reputation as a bunch of pot smoking hippies throwing Frisbees in the woods) as possible. This is a knowledgeable bunch; I was wondering if you guys have ran into this problem and what was done to fix the behavior? Thanks for any and all input.

Ban all smoking from the course under the ruse of fire danger?

Itchy said:
Ok, I know we're not supposed to talk about drugs here but I've got a serious question. A course that recently went into my home town has started to get complaints about profanity and drug use. I want to get ride of these behaviors as quickly and as quietly (for the sake of our already tarnished reputation as a bunch of pot smoking hippies throwing Frisbees in the woods) as possible. This is a knowledgeable bunch; I was wondering if you guys have ran into this problem and what was done to fix the behavior? Thanks for any and all input.

unless you can take your course and displace it away from EVERYBODY.... your screwed, especially in the SLO area. an aggie college town with a beach nearby? i say party-on dude, til the course gets pulled.

It's Lompoc, not SLO. I'm also pretty sure the problem isn't limited to just the people in the local club. I think talking to the club would be a good start, not sure how you can reach out to the drop ins that aren't part of a club.

ive already seen two good courses go bye-bye here in the provo,utah area from just what you are describing. there are no easy answers to what you have a problem with. there will always be those dumb-ass dooshbags with their PBR 20-packs strewing their empties all over the course and being obnoxious morons.
maybe a re-design to eliminate the offending areas where the neighborhood is having problems? talking to the local cops to patrol more often? getting a neighborhood watch going? finding another place to put the course, like near the prison? the next step the neighborhood will take will be to get a petition to have the course pulled. get ready for that. if they think its that serious that is.....

Talk to the police and explain you are with the club and would like to help combat this problem. Show the city that some DGers don't want that behavior on the course

Frank Delicious said:
Talk to the police and explain you are with the club and would like to help combat this problem. Show the city that some DGers don't want that behavior on the course
This. As well as maybe a sign/notice at the course bulletin board or on tee signs explaining that the course will be pulled if the undesirable behavior isn't curbed. Verbally spread the word as well to everyone that you see playing that the course is at risk.

ferretdance03 said:
Frank Delicious said:
This. As well as maybe a sign/notice at the course bulletin board or on tee signs explaining that the course will be pulled if the undesirable behavior isn't curbed. Verbally spread the word as well to everyone that you see playing that the course is at risk.
I third that.

The police already know that crime and drug use would soar if the disc golf course gets pulled, and they'd have to patrol the area more often and deal with much worse crimes and much worse drugs (needles, etc.), kicking homeless around, etc.. If you care about keeping your course alive, then get the police to crack down hard and get those idiots arrested, better sooner than later. Let the gov't entity who controls the park know your plans.

I've seen 2 courses closed in East Sacramento for these same reasons. The people who played there were openly disrespectful, and there is no reason that the club who worked so hard to get the courses put in and to maintain them over time should play nice with these jerk offs. Seriously. They are a scourge and the sport is much better off without them.

In the meantime, you can tell the gov't entity that controls your park about:
-Chavez Ridge in Los Angeles (formerly the largest hook-up spot in the area, lots of needles, lots of criminal elements, gang activity, etc.)
-San Lorenzo Park in Santa Cruz (disc golf pushed out homeless camps and needles no longer litter the ground)
-Pier Park in Portland (formerly a gang-fighting location, that park used to be the murder capital of that city, until disc golf transformed it, now the entire neighborhood is being transformed and gentrified)
-Mackey Park in Sacramento (formerly called "Tweakerville" the vapors from the meth labs used to be so heavy that people using the park would pass out and need emergency medical attention...today is a safe park with childrens area, disc golf, and bringing the neighborhood together)

All of the above were disc golf courses installed at the request of city police departments to abate criminal activity, and they are all fantastic success stories, and have saved their cities immense amount of money while raising surrounding property values and commerce.

I work in law enforcement and hook up with the local PD they will patrol more. Also let the player know that it is being patroled more that will stop alot of problems right there. we kicked a couple guys out of league for the drug use and the constant (loud) profanity.

money 21 said:
Also let the player know that it is being patroled more that will stop alot of problems right there.

Yeah, even if it is not, that is a good starting point. Maybe a few well worded and strategically placed signs would deter some folks from abusing the park.

But anyway... yeah, I agree with approaching the police or the park and asking what you, as a disc golfer, can do to help with the problem.

Great ideas and it's given me a good starting point. Signage is in the works and I've spoken with city council members already. I have a pretty good relationship with Parks and Rec also so I think I'll be talking with the manager next. Also know some people in the police department. I know they're happy the course went in because it was a gang hangout before. Now that the gangs are out, I know there's been a few homeless in the area. I think that'd be a good project for the club though, to help out the homeless shelter with some of their extra money from weeklies and tournaments. Help clean up their image a little.

JHern said:
[
-Chavez Ridge in Los Angeles (formerly the largest hook-up spot in the area, lots of needles, lots of criminal elements, gang activity, etc.)
-San Lorenzo Park in Santa Cruz (disc golf pushed out homeless camps and needles no longer litter the ground)
-Pier Park in Portland (formerly a gang-fighting location, that park used to be the murder capital of that city, until disc golf transformed it, now the entire neighborhood is being transformed and gentrified)
-Mackey Park in Sacramento (formerly called "Tweakerville" the vapors from the meth labs used to be so heavy that people using the park would pass out and need emergency medical attention...today is a safe park with childrens area, disc golf, and bringing the neighborhood together)

All of the above were disc golf courses installed at the request of city police departments to abate criminal activity, and they are all fantastic success stories, and have saved their cities immense amount of money while raising surrounding property values and commerce.

Add to this list Rosedale Park in Kansas City, Kansas. The course was installed in 1984. Before that time, you didn't let your kids play there with your supervision during the daytime. It was a huge park for prostitution. So much so there's a sign that says you can't back into the parking lot (which was a signal you wanted to pay for sex). Now, Rosedale is KC's busiest park with 2 disc golf courses. It's also got 2 softball fields that are packed every nigh of the spring/summer/fall, and a shelter that has 2/3 big parties every week.

Timko said:
JHern said:
[

Add to this list Rosedale Park in Kansas City, Kansas. The course was installed in 1984. Before that time, you didn't let your kids play there with your supervision during the daytime. It was a huge park for prostitution. So much so there's a sign that says you can't back into the parking lot (which was a signal you wanted to pay for sex). Now, Rosedale is KC's busiest park with 2 disc golf courses. It's also got 2 softball fields that are packed every nigh of the spring/summer/fall, and a shelter that has 2/3 big parties every week.

Nice Timko...one day somebody should perhaps compile factual stories from all these courses, and try to get written narratives from relevant government officials, police chiefs, etc.. It would have to be a big community effort, relying on locals to get their local stories and testimonials. This could grow into a large book. Whenever a park board grows concerned about disc golf and tries to sully its reputation and shut a course, then all the local players will have to do is whip out the book, go to public meetings, and simply read from it during open comment periods. Would be a great tool...

Easy : Pay to play. I'm surprised nobody suggested it yet.