• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Unnecessary Innova discs?

Monarchs are perfectly fine.

I suppose the Monarch was OK. I've thrown a couple. Fairly mellow 10 speed driver. It doesn't do anything a Beast won't do though. Beasts glide better too.

It definitely flies better than its big brother the Groove though.

On on unrelated subject, I think I liked the Krait better than the Wraith. Same general flight, but the Krait glided a bit better and didn't have as much late fade.

Totally redundant disc though, and I don't know why Innova bothered with it.

Discs that Miss the mark from Innova

The lightweight sonic's are just like a heavy weight 140 gram fastback, they have too much glide and not enough stability to fly right. Another is the lightweight EDGE Pole Cat and Birdie at 130-140 grams yeas they make them that light they are lousy discs for a kid beginner because they have a tall non aerodynamic profile so the wind will take them because most kids can't throw hard and most regular beginners don't when putting anyhow. It takes a hard throw to keep the lightweight EDGE Pole Cat and Birdie from getting taken away in the wind. These are misses in the Innova group.

Last edited:
Monarchs are perfectly fine.

I agree with you people group them in with Grooves and shouldn't. I love my Valks but could switch to Monarchs if i wanted to. The 4 i own all fly similar to each other. Hyzer flip machines for lower power arms. Sure with 400' of power it would turn and burn if not released cleanly with hyzer and aloud to turn over and track right to the ground which could be a very useful shot on a lot of courses. The four Monarchs I own are more predictable than the one Roadrunner I own.

Yeah, I bagged a Monarch before I switched to speed 9 and below, and it's a perfectly good understable driver. For me it was very controllable and glidey. It paired well with my Beast.

The lightweight sonic's are just like a heavy weight 140 gram fastback, they have too much glide and not enough stability to fly right...
LOL
you're throwing them wrong ;)

to OP-
*assuming you want to stick with only Innova*
Innova's disc comparison page lists 94 different models.
I would say 84 of them are unnecessary. The 84 unnecessary models vary from golfer to golfer.

you can build a very competent bag with the following:
2 putter molds
3 mid molds
3 fairway molds
2 distance driver molds

all are chosen to match your grip, power level, technique, and play style. The other 84 molds are unnecessary... until you change your grip, power, technique, play, etc.

IMHO, I could get by with just Aviar PandA, Rancho Roc, Thunderbird, Destroyer and count the other 90 molds as unnecessary. These discs are great all-arounders and match my game really well. But I have a hoarding problem and waaaayyyyy too much plastic. Its fun to experiment. There aren't any bad discs that I've come across... but there are discs that are bad choices for a given golfer, hole, playing condition, etc.

my $0.02 FWIW

On on unrelated subject, I think I liked the Krait better than the Wraith. Same general flight, but the Krait glided a bit better and didn't have as much late fade.

Totally redundant disc though, and I don't know why Innova bothered with it.

I like the Krait's straight flight and dump fade. As to why Innova bothered with it, I think it's because it's the speed 11 entry in their X,5,-1,2 series, while the Wraith is the speed 11's entry in the X,5,-1,3.

X,5,-1,2 = SL (10), Krait (11), Teedevil (12), Dominator (13)
X,5,-1,3 = Orc (sorta)(10), Wraith (11), Destroyer (12), Boss (13)

Of course the X,5,-1,3 has been more popular, especially with the pros.

Add some understable discs. Your bag is an OS fest.

Roadrunner
Star Leopard

You may score better now with all OS, but if you want to develop into a quality golfer, you'll need to learn to control understable discs.

He only plays disc golf a few times a year... I realize that a lot of people on here think that you should earn your right to throw fast discs, or that throwing a slower disc will give you more control (unless it's an overstable mid!). It's true that something that is too fast that is thus acting overstable for you will detract from your distance. However, experience has taught me that for slower-armed players, slower discs do not necessarily go further. You just have to find the right combination of speed and understability to fit the arm speed.

Ive seen the same and wasn't really referring to new/occasional players. I'm talking about distance driving in the intermediate to advanced skill range. Anyway, nough said.

I like the Krait's straight flight and dump fade. As to why Innova bothered with it, I think it's because it's the speed 11 entry in their X,5,-1,2 series, while the Wraith is the speed 11's entry in the X,5,-1,3.

X,5,-1,2 = SL (10), Krait (11), Teedevil (12), Dominator (13)
X,5,-1,3 = Orc (sorta)(10), Wraith (11), Destroyer (12), Boss (13)

Of course the X,5,-1,3 has been more popular, especially with the pros.

I haven't bagged any 11 speed Innova discs in a long time. I like the Wraith just fine, but I like the Surge better, and I have 2 of them in the bag.

I do have an old Champion Starfire in the bag though, and its been there a long time. Above that I have a Star Destroyer, a Champion Boss and a Champion Tern.

The Krait never seemed to catch on. I think too many people saw it as too similar to the Wraith to ever bother with it. Probably like the Teedevil and the Destroyer. The Teedevil was redundant the day it was released.

The Krait never seemed to catch on. I think too many people saw it as too similar to the Wraith to ever bother with it. Probably like the Teedevil and the Destroyer. The Teedevil was redundant the day it was released.

I don't disagree with you about Kraits v. Wraiths, but I still believe that if there were production Star Kraits, the Krait would've been a bit more popular.

To me, the Teedevil is more like an overstable Tern than an understable Destroyer, but you are correct in that it didn't catch on with the Destroyer also out there. And like the Krait, the Teedevil is not a bad disc at all.

Side note: this discussion of the Krait prompted me to put the Krait in my bag for a round today. My Krait (which is a rather light 160g McBeth 3x version) flew very well today.

The CD3 has very similar flight numbers; I'm looking forward to trying a CD3 and seeing how it compares to the Krait...

Latest posts