• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Unstinking Discs

BIG MACK

Birdie Member
I just got back a disc (a Star Xcaliber) that I threw in a very nasty little pond a couple of years ago. The plastic is in like new condition but it smells like pure sewage. Does anybody have an inexpensive and effective way to "unstink" a disc? It smells so bad that I absolutely do not want to put in my bag in it's current condition. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Wash it with dish soap and put it outside in the sun for a few days. Smell will be gone.

soak in a pan of dawn for a few hours....
then rinse well....
then throw in a grassy area....tombstones encouraged...
let in yard overnite....hoping for morning dew...

once sun come out...it will cook off dew and odor...

Vinegar will leach odors out of any plastic. But be careful to dilute it a little, since too strong could score the surface slightly of some plastics.

If you try the above and it still smells, put it in a ziplock with a hearty dose of baking soda and put it in a warm place like the top of the fridge or water heater and leave it a couple of days.

My Ridge was pretty rank too when I fished it out of a pond. Submersed it in water and dish washing liquid for a day and it was pretty good.

If those methods don't work you may be able to replace it with a nicer smell. I have an ESP WASP that I bought at a head shop and the incense smell remains a year later.

Expo stink big mack? I have discs that still stink years later. A soak in bleach water and weeks in the sun has been my best bet.

I have bought discs in the used bin at wright life that were cheaper than usual because they still stunk. (like new elite pro xl for 3 bucks as example)

Just leave outside for a few weeks. The UV will kill it off eventually. Or Hot Box it. :lol:

BIG MACK said:
I just got back a disc (a Star Xcaliber) that I threw in a very nasty little pond a couple of years ago. The plastic is in like new condition but it smells like pure sewage. Does anybody have an inexpensive and effective way to "unstink" a disc? It smells so bad that I absolutely do not want to put in my bag in it's current condition. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
if it was in expo....its a stinker for life.

maks said:
BIG MACK said:
Since he said "nasty little pond" I am going to put my money on the pond off of pin #2 at Badlands but that's just a guess. Which was it Mack?

And the "nasty little pond" that I am speaking of is....drum roll please..............................................................................................EXPO! And, WOW it smells so incredibly bad...I almost gagged when I smelled it the first time. Nasty, nasty, nasty...

Thanks for the tips! I'll try them all until it works...hopefully it's not a stink for life!

BIG MACK said:
And the "nasty little pond" that I am speaking of is....drum roll please..............................................................................................EXPO! And, WOW it smells so incredibly bad...I almost gagged when I smelled it the first time. Nasty, nasty, nasty...

Thanks for the tips! I'll try them all until it works...hopefully it's not a stink for life!
haha i knew it. best remedy ive found is to leave in some water mixed with soap/detergent.

good luck

maks said:
BIG MACK said:

haha i knew it. best remedy ive found is to leave in some water mixed with soap/detergent.

good luck
Seconded, worked for me at least.

Report back whichever one works. This is kind of interesting.

Thatdirtykid said:
Expo stink big mack? I have discs that still stink years later. A soak in bleach water and weeks in the sun has been my best bet.

I have bought discs in the used bin at wright life that were cheaper than usual because they still stunk. (like new elite pro xl for 3 bucks as example)

Second for the bleach water. I found a disc that had been sitting in a disgusting pond for at least a couple of weeks (could have been months, years, etc). I put it in a bucket of bleach water for a while and that seemed to do the trick.

Ah yes, the expo stink. I've found literally a thousand discs at expo and still haven't found an easy way to remove that odor from premium plastic. I tried the dishwasher and it worked, but it takes the foil stamps off the discs.

Your best bet is to leave it outside in the sun for a few days. Don't leave it out too long though or the disc can warp and fade. Store the disc outside in a shed for a while and eventually the smell will go away. There is no real quick solution here though. Star and champion plastic seems to hold that smell in for a long time.

Dig It said:
maks said:
BIG MACK said:
Since he said "nasty little pond" I am going to put my money on the pond off of pin #2 at Badlands but that's just a guess. Which was it Mack?

Expo ponds smell FAR worse than that little pond at badlands. I've pulled discs out of that pond at badlands and they usually only stink a little. Pull a disc out of the expo lakes that's been there a while and it can easily stink up your whole house if you leave it indoors right after finding it.

Well, I've been working on this disc for over a month now. I've tried soaking it in dish soap in a pan in the sun outside. I've tried coating it with Febreze and letting it sit out in the sun. I've tried soaking it in dish soap water along with a garbage disposal deodorizer (which is SUPER powerful). I currently have it soaking in a pan of vinegar, outside. I have yet to try the dishwasher, baking soda and/or bleach water. I can report that the stink has definitely decreased...but it's still there slightly. Also, when I bring it inside and it warms up a little, it starts to stink more. So...I'll keep trying! I'll let you know how it smells after the vinegar.

Latest posts