• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Updating reviews

Naenae

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I just updated one of my reviews to account for a significant change in course conditions. I used the edit function and labeled my changes.

Would it be better to delete a previous review and replace? In this particular case, a course that was playable during an extreme drought turns out to be very unplayable under average local conditions due to inundation with water.

What's the right way to do this?

I just updated one of my reviews to account for a significant change in course conditions. I used the edit function and labeled my changes.

Would it be better to delete a previous review and replace? In this particular case, a course that was playable during an extreme drought turns out to be very unplayable under average local conditions due to inundation with water.

What's the right way to do this?
You did it the way I've always done it and seen others do it. Seems a lot easier than writing an entirely new review.

if you edit it, you will retain your votes. if you delete it and write a new one, you will not.

thought about this, deleting a review, yesterday after I received my first downvote. And honestly it was probably warranted by the laziness on my part.

@DiscusZach I've read most of your reviews and they're generally very good. Hansen Park in particular brought back great memories for me, and your adding the link to the history of saucer golf was a nice value-add.

The one that received the downvote was written fine. If anything, you might be "punished" for waiting so long to post it. You're writing about a course that may have changed dramatically in the time since you played it, making your review much less helpful. I have a few 9's that I never got around to reviewing, and several of them are 18's now - so any review I'd write now is borderline useless.

I'd suggest you delete that review not because it's a poorly- written review, but because it might be inaccurate due to changes that may have been made since you played it in May of 2021.

In the bigger picture, if you're going to write reviews, downvotes are inevitable. Every one of the 37 I've received (so far) has bugged me, at least a little bit. But take 'em with a grain of salt. You will inevitably piss off a homer, get downvoted by a troll, or just get something wrong and deserve the mark. Just keeping writing - this site needs new reviewers who bring new perspectives.