• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] upgrade plastic for woods?

Daubers

Birdie Member
I have been playing primarily with DX plastic and love the characteristics but with the heavily wooded home course I play on they just don't last. I have had a couple rocs die before even getting broken in. Would my best bet be to move to champ plastic?

Specifically speaking of the roc, how different will the flight characteristics be in champ plastic coming from dx? Thanks!

I think personally, if you're wanting DX feel, but durability, Vibram's medium is pretty awesome. I have thrown it into all sorts of trees this winter, and it's holding up great.

If you're wanting to keep on the DX train, maybe just go nuts in an x-out bin and stock up like mad? If you're THE most accurate with DX, you will avoid trees. I know I prefer touch shots with baseline plastics myself, so it depends on the course, and how much you are putting on your drives.

Otherwise, go for what feels best. Pro/ Elite X is a little more durable than DX/Pro-D, so take that into consideration. If you do "upgrade" to champ/star, remember that they come out of the box a little more overstable than their DX/Pro counterparts, and that the break in period can be a little long.

Champ Rocs come in a lot of flavors- Roc+, Roc3, and actual Champion Rocs, which are butt expensive. Roc+ flies so-so, seems like if you like rocs, it works fine. Roc3 is pretty beefy, and would take a while to break one in.

Buy a medium x-link Obex if you're a Roc dude. Or get an Ibex for less stable and no bead.

thus far I have been very diligent in sticking with a few select molds to learn my lines and reduce as many variables as possible as I learn and progress my game. I do love the roc and use it more than any other disc in my bag, I just play on a very difficult wooded course ( Moraine state park) and it's taking unmerciless beatings. do you think I should be jumping to other discs or upgrading plastic on the disc I know? ( assuming it would throw similar but that's kind of my original question).

I would move up to KC Pros before Champ on the Rocs. They'll fare a little better than DX.

That said, the Z Wasp is a good recommendation but look for a flat one.

If you like the rocs and want to stick with them i would say get a couple KC Pro and start breaking them in.. those with the dx you have already starting breaking in will make a great combo.. If you just want a premi plastic mid the Champ Roc is a different beast and can get pricey.. the new Roc3 might be just what your looking for and still in the roc "family". With all the new companies there are some great options out there for you tho.. oh and yeah if you throwing in tight woods get a Comet.. it with the rocs is juts a deadly deadly combo :)

Personally, if I was playing a lot of woods, I would be throwing vibram rubber only b/c it won't kick 100ft off the trail!

I agree with the Vibram votes. It sounds like just what you are looking for. Great grip, won't leave you 100' off of the fairway after a tree hit, and they're so darn purty.

I have been playing primarily with DX plastic and love the characteristics but with the heavily wooded home course I play on they just don't last. I have had a couple rocs die before even getting broken in. Would my best bet be to move to champ plastic?

Specifically speaking of the roc, how different will the flight characteristics be in champ plastic coming from dx? Thanks!

Most good players will not throw their best broken in stuff in the woods. A fine tuned DX or KC Pro Roc you've been throwing for years can be ruined in a single round on some courses. Champ can a good option due to the durability but it will tale a looong time to break in and fly more overstable than it's DX/Pro counterpart. I found most of the Champ Rocs I tried were more overstable than I wanted and kept having to overcompensate by throwing harder or with anhyzer. No good. Through trial and error, I found that I actually prefer the Elite Z Buzzz for the woods because it flies very similar to a fresh DX Roc, and I'd rather be able keep my throw the same.

great, will check into vibram! any specific discs of theirs?

My workhorse is the Ibex. It is a perfectly stable mid that just doesn't like a headwind. As you beat in an Ibex, its glide goes WAAAAAY up, so if you get one and think it is glideless, play with it for a while. I also like the Obex for my overstable slot. It would be fairly similar to a Roc. For fairways, I use both the Trak and Ascent. When looking for Traks, if you want one that flies kind of like a Teebird, make sure that you get one with a little bit of dome to it. If you get a flat one, it is stable to understable (great for hyzer-flips). I have not purchased enough Ascents to figure out what to look for on them when selecting one. The Lace is a great distance driver that provides great distance with little effort. Any Vibram putters that you're curious about?

In all honesty the flx plastic from discraft can take a tree hit well and not ricochet 40ft off the fairway. Champ takes a while to break in. So does star. The pro plastic can get shredded but not as bad as DX and breaks in a bit slower than DX.

I throw Pro Rocs in the woods and they hold up fairly well to the abuse. I would step up to those and see how it works out for you. Also, try to find some good used deals (especially in The Marketplace on these forums). That's a good way to get some beat in premium plastics at really good price. Some of my best discs are used discs I bought on these forums.

I throw dx rocs. The faster stuff in dx definitely does not react well to hitting trees, but I have rocs that I've thrown for years on wooded courses. They just get better and better with time. When you say they "died", did you actually break them or do they just have gouges and nicks in the rim? If it's the latter, spend some time throwing them and getting to know them, a beat up dx roc is a wonderful thing.