• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

If they'll just give this Oregon boy a rain fly. Glad you like yours as much as I like mine Doc.

Thanks a lot for the pictures!

Does anyone use the sternum strap? If you don't use it do the waist pockets get in the way?

Thanks a lot for the pictures!

Does anyone use the sternum strap? If you don't use it do the waist pockets get in the way?

I asked david about that because it seemed like the waist straps/pockets would flop around and get in the way before ordering the bag and wasn't still totally sure when david assured me they wouldn't until i got and wore the bag.

if you look at the picture below you'll see that each shoulder strap actually anchors onto the middle of its respective side's waist pocket:

14933867062_0bc1034873_z.jpg

like david I took off the bungee chord.I also took off the sternum and waist straps. I did this because I play in a very wooded course and don't want extra things to potentially get caught on branches. but there's also another reason you don't actually need the straps connected at your chest and hips:

what the shoulder strap anchoring onto the waist pocket does is actually holds the waist pockets in place so when you wear it. the shoulder straps will pull the waist pockets towards your hips creating a great snug support while walking. you have virtually no lateral excess movement (like what they use in some large camping backpacks) when walking even jogging/walking briskly. the pockets are actually sewn very robustly and shaped to hold their position (which is around 45º) so when the bag is off they won't flop around freely.

so it doesn't need to have the waist straps connected along with the sternum straps (because when you wear the bag it creates a snug fit just by the way it was designed to use its weight/load to cinch down on your body) to have a secure fit or to avoid having excess movement from the waist pockets.

as a side note, one of my questions to david was if a dedicated DG backpack (any brand wether a grip/ UPD/ergo/ect ) is that much better than a regular bag + backpack straps/quads (like the crunch box + backpack straps I was using before. it was night and day for david, and I have to agree that its significantly easier to carry 16-20+ discs, a jacket, snacks and 32oz (or more) in a proper backpack compared to a regular bag + quads.

its more ergonomic, getting the bag on and off the shoulders is quick (i often times fumbled around putting my arms through the wrong straps, my crunch box would sometimes roll over when set down on an incline (this particular backpack sits securely upright even on inclines), with a backpack quickly walking between close holes with only one strap on was very comfortable.

I did a quick two rounds yesterday and could tell that it was a lot easier on my back. plus with the 4 segregated side pockets you can have a system with instant access to your most used discs (putters/mids/fairway drivers/distance) already set up. its very intuitive and makes getting what you need a lot quicker. I even just played with my main compartment zipped up because my extra putter/teebirds/leopard/180g wraith/tern are things I don't always use. it was like I was just using a regular backpack out there.

14933998332_50f4943926_z.jpg

when I talked to one of the local serious armature players with a grip he was confused and actually thought it was just a regular backpack like a north face I repurposed for disc golf. lol. I then zipped open the main compartment and he was instantly intrigued seeing the extra discs and had a lot more questions.

I actually like having the main compartment closed and having it look like its just a normal backpack as an option.

I would be much more likely to get a Shift if there were a better place to stick my phone. I don't like the idea of keeping my phone in the waist pockets right next to the ground. Maybe I could add a zipper or velcro to the mini pocket.

I put my phone wallet keys in the zippered soft pocket on the flap. Then tuck it all inside the main bag during play. Works great.

I would be much more likely to get a Shift if there were a better place to stick my phone. I don't like the idea of keeping my phone in the waist pockets right next to the ground. Maybe I could add a zipper or velcro to the mini pocket.

thats a good point. I carry my phone in my pocket as a backup to keep my/everyone's score (i've got an iPhone and use the discasauras app).

there's a small soft fabric zippered pouch right on the top of the main front compartment flap (it gets tucked in if you want to expose all your discs on the inside though) as well as the mesh dividers/pouches on each side of the inside of the main compartment. since I don't open my main compartment full time its easy access.

a nice option would maybe to put a velcro-ed flap over the mini pocket so you could repurpose it as a phone/wallet/keys holder. I'd use it for that because I like keeping my mini right in my back pocket with my phone for quick access to keep score or mark my disc.

Odd request, but can someone post pics of the bag with what they normally carry just without discs in the side stretch pockets? Thanks.

Thanks again for the pictures and info runningdoc. It was very helpful in helping my wife decide to order the Shift bag

If they'll just give this Oregon boy a rain fly. Glad you like yours as much as I like mine Doc.

Thanks for the help again. I figure you can put a generic backpack rain cover on the shift. I'll try to go to my local rei and see what works. I know the camelbacks have s/m/l sizes that are like $12

Thanks again for the pictures and info runningdoc. It was very helpful in helping my wife decide to order the Shift bag

^ no problem. What color did she get?

Odd request, but can someone post pics of the bag with what they normally carry just without discs in the side stretch pockets? Thanks.

Like just an empty sides of the bag and the flap closed? Or with 9 discs in the main compartment and nothing in the sides and flap open?

Discs in the main and nothing in the sides. Thanks!

here you go:

14763205047_3972694427_c.jpg

there is a waterproof shell jacket in the storage.

lower slot has: two wraiths and a tern
middle slot has: two tee birds and a leopard
upper slot has: three darts (super dome-y putters)

so you can fit 9 discs in the main compartment's three slots comfortably.

figure you can also go two in each outside pocket easy for 8 on the outside. thats 17 discs easily in this bag. with full inside capacity still intact.

Does this bag have a strap to attach a stool or something? I'm not looking to attach a stool per say, but its my disc gator. Need to attach it to carry it around with me.

Does this bag have a strap to attach a stool or something? I'm not looking to attach a stool per say, but its my disc gator. Need to attach it to carry it around with me.

Thats why I opt for a baseball and a golden retriever. The gator is cool, but I'm not about to carry a massive pole around with me :/

My buddy modified the end of a tape measurer and he has gotten all his discs back! Up to 25' out lol :thmbup:

On a more helpful note I'm sure you could find a way to secure the pole within the main compartment standing straight up, and the gator itself would fit in the bottom of the main compartment. Perhaps a carabiner off the handle like the picture shows and the run the pole through that.

here you go:
so you can fit 9 discs in the main compartment's three slots comfortably.

Thanks!
I really like how the discs run along your back as opposed to sitting together as a bunch in one spot. I also like how it's not as bulky as the other backpacks.

Possible side pic with side pockets empty or even an angled view where you can see the empty side and the main?? :fingers crossed:

Reason I ask is my current line up is sub 10 discs. Not interested in the focus since I want to be able to carry a few items.

Thats why I opt for a baseball and a golden retriever. The gator is cool, but I'm not about to carry a massive pole around with me :/

My buddy modified the end of a tape measurer and he has gotten all his discs back! Up to 25' out lol :thmbup:

On a more helpful note I'm sure you could find a way to secure the pole within the main compartment standing straight up, and the gator itself would fit in the bottom of the main compartment. Perhaps a carabiner off the handle like the picture shows and the run the pole through that.

Ya. That was my thought exactly. But some of the courses I play here in Arkansas or a couple in Michigan have thorny bushes with poison ivy laced in them. Also have to deal with small rough bed creeks that probably have snakes in them. None of which is a situation in which a baseball or golden retriever would come in handy. Recently purchased a GRIP, but I have a feeling it will be to big and bulky for my taste. I don't need that much room. Just enough to warrant the shift.

Ya. That was my thought exactly. But some of the courses I play here in Arkansas or a couple in Michigan have thorny bushes with poison ivy laced in them. Also have to deal with small rough bed creeks that probably have snakes in them. None of which is a situation in which a baseball or golden retriever would come in handy. Recently purchased a GRIP, but I have a feeling it will be to big and bulky for my taste. I don't need that much room. Just enough to warrant the shift.

Ah makes perfect sense then! I have a Jet Black Rebel coming in tomorrow that I'm super freakin pumped about. These guys are just doing it right IMO. Jon from UPD has been there to address all my concerns (and I'm kinda picky. ok really picky) with a great attitude a very professionally.

I will eventually own all 3 of their bags, as they are just that awesome. Right when I was about to pull the trigger on the shift, they released the rebel, and as I plan to hit up as many courses on the west coast of the US that I can this winter, I wanted the extra space for the unknown.

The shift is so well thought out it just makes me really happy to see a design like this. I hope the future of disc golf looks like this, and that no one has to carry around a glorified cooler on their butts anymore!

Another idea for disc gator: you could try only one disc in one of the side pockets and put the bottom of the pole there, then run it up through a carabiner or strap attached to the top handle. I can't see it being an issue as long as youve got a little creativity

The Rebel video didn't show the rainfly.. can someone take a couple pics of it? Or possibly a quick video?

When I get mine in tomorrow I'll make a video! It's gonna be on my cellphone just for dgcr, but I want to make a high quality video for youtube, I feel like this company needs to be known!

I'll make sure to add the rainfly, and actually fill it to the top with gear and get a few different sized folks to wear it.

Sweet! I'm kinda on the fence between this and the Ergo 2... Be sure to show how much you can fit in the side pockets too :thmbup:

When I get mine in tomorrow I'll make a video! It's gonna be on my cellphone just for dgcr, but I want to make a high quality video for youtube, I feel like this company needs to be known!

I'll make sure to add the rainfly, and actually fill it to the top with gear and get a few different sized folks to wear it.