• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

IMO they would be great starter bags. I feel like the shift is cool for a casual round at your local course, but not so much for tournament play. Aside from disc space, there is no space for snacks, towels, extra layers, anything else that may be associated with multiple, long rounds. And as far as the camelbak idea, not sure if I like this or not, kinda do, kinda don't. For now I think I'll stick with my grip.

To be honest, I'd be way more interested in the Focus if they got rid of the camelbak aspect and dropped the price 20 or 30 bucks. I love the look of the thing, but think it's too expensive for carrying only 4-8 discs. The Shift I'd be more into, but I'm not at a place yet where I'm comfortable dropping $100+ for a disc golf bag.

To be honest, I'd be way more interested in the Focus if they got rid of the camelbak aspect and dropped the price 20 or 30 bucks. I love the look of the thing, but think it's too expensive for carrying only 4-8 discs. The Shift I'd be more into, but I'm not at a place yet where I'm comfortable dropping $100+ for a disc golf bag.

For about $100 I can get a premium bag from either Voodoo or GB. I like the light weight aspect and they mentioned Osprey fabric which is a local company that makes great bags for hiking but not sure how much dragging around I'd be willing to do with one. Not a huge fan of the water bladder idea either, what it makes up for in light weight with materials it gains all that and then some as soon as you throw a water bladder in it, also I associate having a water bladder with something that I'm not going to be taking off every 2-5 minutes and laying on the ground. It's a good idea, but over priced and under thought about.

The concept is very attractivev and I love the unique look, but I couldn't imagine the "vest" on my back during a round in SE North Carolina.

Not a criticism, but just not for my needs.

It's definitely a niche idea, for sure. Might appeal more to the mountain areas and hikers. I'm sure the warmer, flatter areas are scratching their heads. But I've played courses in the Vermont mountains that practically have nature walks between holes. Halfway through those rounds you might convince me to shell out some $$ for a lightweight camelbak bag.

IMO they would be great starter bags. I feel like the shift is cool for a casual round at your local course, but not so much for tournament play. Aside from disc space, there is no space for snacks, towels, extra layers, anything else that may be associated with multiple, long rounds. And as far as the camelbak idea, not sure if I like this or not, kinda do, kinda don't. For now I think I'll stick with my grip.
Hey guys! Thanks for linking to your review jimbosprint! Noticed you guys were discussing our bags, any questions I can answer, ask away.

Bugz36984, you would be surprised with the space in the Shift for a bag of the size. There are mesh internal pockets on each side for snacks, towels, etc and room at the bottom to hold a sweatshirt or long sleeve.. or beer.. :hfive:

Hey guys! Thanks for linking to your review jimbosprint! Noticed you guys were discussing our bags, any questions I can answer, ask away.

Bugz36984, you would be surprised with the space in the Shift for a bag of the size. There are mesh internal pockets on each side for snacks, towels, etc and room at the bottom to hold a sweatshirt or long sleeve.. or beer.. :hfive:

Really that much space? From the pictures posted on your website the side pockets seemed pretty small. I believed they were referred to as "stash pockets" and the company used a cell phone, a wallet and a set of keys to demonstrate the pocket, so I assumed they were quite small. For what its worth, I really like the design. Extremely easy access to your discs, great organization, and lightweight. After toting around a heavy bag a few holes it takes its toll on ya, so a lighter bag is ideal. Plus I like how it only holds 15 discs. This will keep players (like myself when i started), from trying to carry a single disc for every shot. It will help them utilize a single disc in more situations. Nice bags. I'd like to see one in person though, not something I could by directly offline without physically checking one out. Good work guys.

My fault, I thought you were talking about the inside mesh pockets. The waist pockets are perfect for keys, phone, wallet, and snack bars. The internal mesh pockets are much bigger.
GHmz3l.jpg

And that is exactly the point, carry less discs and Focus on the ones you have. I hope you get the chance to see them in person, the comfort level of both bags alone is above anything else in the sport. We are working on a video demo of the bag to give a better feel of the comfort and features. Coming in early January!

Last edited:
I am between cameras, so my apologies for the quality. But this is the bag standing with no bottle. It leans on the discs in the side pockets and is pretty sturdy. It still allows you to access the discs and leaves the handle at the perfect height to grab while standing.

4Hp97l.jpg

We will show more in the video!

Hey guys! Noticed you guys were discussing our bags, any questions I can answer, ask away.

Welcome to the boards! One of many nice things about these boards is getting to interact with manufacturers and the like. Very cool. Thanks for making yourselves available!

I'm just curious: do you gang have any new products on the immediate horizon, or is it mostly about these two bags for the time being? I imagine you have to keep your cards close to your vest for the time being, but it never hurts to ask. :D

I'm just curious: do you gang have any new products on the immediate horizon, or is it mostly about these two bags for the time being? I imagine you have to keep your cards close to your vest for the time being, but it never hurts to ask. :D

Thanks Qikly! We enjoy being able to answer any questions you guys might have.

These are the only bags we will be offering for awhile. But we know there are golfers out there that these bags are clearly not made for, and we haven't forgotten about them! We will let you know more in the next few months on when to expect something new. The best place to stay up on the latest information is our Facebook page.

Last edited:
The Focus will stand when leaning on the waist pockets, but it takes a second of balancing to get it to stay. I would honestly say that we originally did not design the bag to stand, so even though it can stand, I usually have found myself leaning it on a rock or tree close by. I can get you a photo tomorrow when it is light out.

Also I figure I should introduce myself, I am Jon Richardson, CEO of Upper Park Designs. And my two partners Hobie and Pat both give their cheers to the disc golf community. We are excited to be here!

I like the idea. It's a quality bag for players starting out, or players who don't need to carry a lot of discs. I would have bought one 5 years ago.

All in all I'm not a fan of starter bags, because my 1st Innova bag fell apart after 3 months of use.