• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC Monday Qualifying

Schweb didn't qualify during the year. I think he only played 1 qualifier.

Not that many players signed up for the open flight.

yeah, that is bogus. If you qualify, you shouldn't be allowed in if you don't register in time. Cale is a super nice dude from my interaction, so this is nothing against him at all. But that takes away from, IMO, the point of monday qualifying. Get someone a chance to play with the big boys, who normally wouldn't get to.

The point of Monday qualifying is to get the best players into the tourney; not charity.

speaking of big names not attending this year looks like Barsby is not going to be able to make the trip either. Citing work conflicts. Bummer as it is always great seeing Barsby on the right coast!

Yes, and sometimes one of you will magically shoot 10-15 strokes better than your rating and you qualify and then in the tournament itself you're back to shooting your rating.
Grodney, there is no "you" in this as i have never qualified. Havn't even come close. i think the best score i have ever posted was 76. I do beleive i might know of the "Dave" you are referring to and i do believe i might know of the situation you are referencing (just guessing and not positive). If i am correct i can see your skepticism on that particular (and i think isolated) incident. While i see your point if we are talking about the same instance my opinion is the person in question shoots rounds ALL OVER THE PLACE (+/- 80+ points of his rating) all the time.

Last edited:
Oh, no no no, I didn't mean "YOU" as YOU. Just the generic "you". I forgot that the (alleged) perp's name was also "Dave". I don't remember all the particulars, but at the time I don't think he had ever shot a round even CLOSE to his qualifying round. Just another in the long line of USDGC rumors/controversies/etc. When you're the biggest event, you're going to generate the most chatter -- good and bad.

Oh, no no no, I didn't mean "YOU" as YOU. Just the generic "you". I forgot that the (alleged) perp's name was also "Dave". I don't remember all the particulars, but at the time I don't think he had ever shot a round even CLOSE to his qualifying round. Just another in the long line of USDGC rumors/controversies/etc. When you're the biggest event, you're going to generate the most chatter -- good and bad.
haha yeha i though we were talking about the same thing.

So does anyone know if a registered player does not pay the entry in time and his "qualifying" spot is forfeited can that person show up on Monday and try to qualify again?

I am assuming so but not sure.

So does anyone know if a registered player does not pay the entry in time and his "qualifying" spot is forfeited can that person show up on Monday and try to qualify again?

I am assuming so but not sure.

First, a player can only be "registered" if they actually paid the entry fee.

Next, Monday Qualifying is OPEN to anyone that pays the $50.00* entry fee. This includes "qualified" players that failed to pay entry fees on time.

*Subsequent qualifying rounds are $25.00 each.

First, a player can only be "registered" if they actually paid the entry fee.

Next, Monday Qualifying is OPEN to anyone that pays the $50.00* entry fee. This includes "qualified" players that failed to pay entry fees on time.

*Subsequent qualifying rounds are $25.00 each.
So the answer to the question is Yes?

Rumor has it that Monday Qualifying could be packed with big names: Cale, Schwebby, Emac, MJ, etc. Good Luck!!

What happens to the qualifying spot if the player fails to register? Random scenario, Cale qualifies at XYZ NT but fails to pay on time. Is that spot kicked down to the next player or lost for good?

What happens to the qualifying spot if the player fails to register? Random scenario, Cale qualifies at XYZ NT but fails to pay on time. Is that spot kicked down to the next player or lost for good?

I believe there are more qualifiers than there are spots. So players can potentially be shut out if they don't register quickly enough. It's usually not a big problem though because there are inevitably qualifiers who cannot make the trip.

Matt,

How does it work? Is an official sent out for the qualifying attempts?

I can't remember, two guys bailed on the 4th hole, and that left us with 2, plus Phil Arthur who was caddying for me. This was Stroke and Distance, so it was fairly easy to officiate, you were in or out. Rethrow. Other than that, it was an enjoyable round, after hole 5, I think the poor guy had lost 3 drivers, then on hole 11 he pulled out a green Echo? Destroyer... with Dave Feldberg's sig on it. He found it in the bushes a few days before. So whenever he was having trouble with wind, getting in bounds, Phil or I said "Throw Dave!" It usually worked.

He shot 166. think about that. It was painful, but a little amusing to watch. I'm good at counting strokes, and I think a couple holes he was in the low 20s. But hole 13 (888) he got an 8. Go figure.

Traditionally there are only 5 spots awarded on Monday. No matter how many spots are potentially available for the tournament.

Last edited:
I'm good at counting strokes, and I think a couple holes he was in the low 20s. But hole 13 (888) he got an 8. Go figure.

So what I hear you saying is that the course is just too easy for him. He couldn't concentrate on all the birdy or die holes and evidently needed a "real" challenge in order to play well.

:)

So what I hear you saying is that the course is just too easy for him. He couldn't concentrate on all the birdy or die holes and evidently needed a "real" challenge in order to play well.

:)

Good luck out there Gwillim...Hope you kill it!

If you are thinking about the Monday qualifier, remember that the course will be closed on Sunday for the U.S. Am Doubles final round until late afternoon

Latest posts