• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC Updates

I think the whole "she quit playing" storyline is a bit of a myth. It's been 15 years since she played regularly in competitive events, went to World's, etc. Since then she shows up in event results once or twice a year most years. A lot of times it is for the disc golf portion of the WFDF events. This year she played in the Memorial; she won Pro Masters by 11 strokes.

Obviously she stopped playing competitive disc golf as a touring pro, but she shows up in sanctioned events just often enough that you have to assume she still plays. A lot of the time when I hear her name mentioned, it's a story where you hit 2006 and she becomes a ghost. She's played in an awful lot of sanctioned events recently for a ghost.

Thanks for a great piece of history.

I had a thought as to why scores have been low. A lot of Winthrop is risk reward. Taking the risk shot can burn you and really bring your score down. It seems to be that players are weighing the risks more than in years past. Better game management defeats the risk structure built into this event. That will require a major rethink of how the course is laid out, if correct.

I had a thought as to why scores have been low. A lot of Winthrop is risk reward. Taking the risk shot can burn you and really bring your score down. It seems to be that players are weighing the risks more than in years past. Better game management defeats the risk structure built into this event. That will require a major rethink of how the course is laid out, if correct.

Someone posted about how the course this year has much less punishment. I'd guess that players are taking the same amount of risk, but with the lack of punishment, it's easier to go for it and not worry. You may be right that pros are also playing smarter; i'm saying if they are, that's not the sole reason explaining the scores.

Someone posted about how the course this year has much less punishment. I'd guess that players are taking the same amount of risk, but with the lack of punishment, it's easier to go for it and not worry. You may be right that pros are also playing smarter; i'm saying if they are, that's not the sole reason explaining the scores.

Good point. They switched a lot of OB to hazard. Takes less people on the course to manage.

Philo and Ian are doing a fine job. My one critique would be for Philo to spare us the Schwarzenegger impression.

Which Schwarzenegger quote did Philo use!?

"I'll be back!"
"Hasta la vista, baby!"
"Come with me if you want to live."

Now I wish I had gotten the streaming package...I can't wait 2 weeks!!! (I really can't see how he would have gotten "Come with me if you want to live." into the broadcast, but I'm really pulling for that one.)

Which Schwarzenegger quote did Philo use!?

"I'll be back!"
"Hasta la vista, baby!"
"Come with me if you want to live."

Now I wish I had gotten the streaming package...I can't wait 2 weeks!!! (I really can't see how he would have gotten "Come with me if you want to live." into the broadcast, but I'm really pulling for that one.)

No one can make a call on something like this for other folks. I'm going from 9:00 to 4:30 every day. Work? I laugh at work.

It was well worth the $20 for me.

Does anyone else like the big overhead camera shots? I love those. They give such a different perspective on the course and the event.

I saw on Udisc Kat could have tied Paige with a birdie on 17, but got a 6 instead. That hole is really a dream killer.

I saw on Udisc Kat could have tied Paige with a birdie on 17, but got a 6 instead. That hole is really a dream killer.

She missed the green on the opening shot. Paige missed too, but the damage was done at that point. Up to then you could see her thinking about how she was going to catch Paige. Too bad, the round was really exciting.