• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram V.P. Putter does anyone have one?

The vp is a super beefy putter. I threw one for a driving putter for a while. No glide and handle any headwind. Basically like a rhyno for me put I never could putt with it so I used it for ups and drives. I used mediums that were really firm.

Last edited:
that is encouraging. as much as i love my wizards, there were some days in the fall here with sustained winds 20-30 mph and gusts over 30 mph. i liked putting with firm ridges so on a day like that i will just take my VP out and stop worrying about it.

i never threw a champ rhyno, but judging from my few throws with the VP it should handle itself quite well and complement the wizard perfectly.

or maybe a better question would be if it fights the wind better than a rhyno or a sinus or breaker or a basic jokeri, the OS putters i have some experience with.

I bagged the vp for over a year and a it is a beefier wind disc than the rhino for sure. (I currently carry the rhino) Compared to a champ rhyno it has a bit more hss and lss but the biggest difference for me is glide. Not that the rhyno is glidey but the vp really drops out of the sky when it slows down. I dont have any experience with those other discs but fwiw Im using the rhino now because I can beat DX's through various stages of wear and have the champ as my bookend stable driving putter.

^ that's what i wanted to hear.

sounds just as beefy as i needed it to be. i don't really drive with my putters once it gets really windy; i will just disc up to my vector or blaze or PD depending, but for approaches and putts where it needs to get there and stop, i'm glad i've got some feedback. sounds like the VP is a good slower speed match to my blaze, which is basically what i was hoping for.

I've been using VPs as my main approach disc and putter for about 9 months now. I can't compare it to the other discs you mentioned, since I don't have any experience with them, but for me the VP is reliable approaching in most winds that I face. Here in NOLA, 20 mph winds aren't uncommon, and I've done just fine with the VP in those instances. I'd probably avoid driving into that kind of a headwind, but a 100' upshot is fine, and if I have the room to work them on a hyzer, they'll hold the line pretty much regardless of what's going on. They're not uber beefy, but very HSS and super reliable, which is what I love about them.

Edit to add: the lack of glide that others have pointed out is a huge part of they're reliability in windy conditions.

Nice resurrection of a topic.. The VP is a great OS putter. I keep the Vibram triplets in my bag because I love putters and the VP is fantastic as an overstable approach that doesnt glide. It just goes where I tell it to and stays there. Im trying to find a more overstable putter. The Pig works but I want something with more class. The Sinus is close. I hear the Crosslap is trying to make the bag.

Definitely more beefy than a wizard
But I don't know about rynos, I throw zones.
I have a vp I got in a trade, but I don't use it.(supposed to be soft but wasn't)
I used to use hpp wizards for driving but gave up
I don't like beads.

I switched my main putter from DX BB Aviars to VPs about 1.5 years ago and I feel my putting consistency has improved. Living in North Dakota (I'm sure anywhere in the Midwest really) I was looking for a reliable headwind putter for 20+ mph days. I don't like switching putters for wind so I also needed something reliable and consistent in all conditions. I have some Rhyno experience and I would say the VP is a touch more stable. From inside the circle, I'll only really adjust to a headwind if its blowing fairly hard. Tailwinds are another story. I would agree that VPs have very little glide, so you really have to aim high in a tailwind.

Lack of glide is both the blessing and curse of this disc. Probably the best headwind putter I've thrown but as a main putter it can struggle on jump putts and tailwinds. Super accurate approach disc in all conditions.

As long as you don't mind the feel of Vibrams rubber, I'd highly recommend this disc, especially in headwinds.

Recently picked up a VP with the idea that it would make an excellent hyzer approach disc. And so it is. I was surprised to make a 50' putt with the VP (it is a putt when an approach goes in, right?). Maybe I found my long putt disc?

I've had a VP bagged for quite some time.
Fills that OS putt/short approach slot in my bag perfectly!
I also use it for navigating short approaches thru the trees. Thrown with some anhyzer it tracks right, flattens out, then drops to the left dependably.

Recently picked up a VP with the idea that it would make an excellent hyzer approach disc. And so it is. I was surprised to make a 50' putt with the VP (it is a putt when an approach goes in, right?). Maybe I found my long putt disc?

You can have my VP, if I can find it, my brother has a bunch of my putters I think, I will try to find it.

honestly the VP is different compared to other putters.. its heavy and great for people with big hands. i did alright with it for awhile but just never loved it. switched to pa4 and have been hitting 30 footers much easier ever since

I use the VP for against the wind approaches and putting. Also for anhyzer approaches that I want to come out of it and land flat. The VP is extremely reliable. After you've thrown it a couple of hundred times, you'll know exactly what it will do. It's the best against the wind putter I've thrown. The Pig is awesome, but the R-Pro plastic beats up way too fast. I want my putter to be the same the 500th time I throw it as it was the 5th time. Beating in is great for drivers, but nothing beats consistency for approach putters.

meh. i have normal-small hands and i throw wizards. i've got a bunch i carry with me so i can always practice putting: some of mine are deep dish, some are shallow. but they're all wizards for sure, you can tell by how awesome they are. ;) for me the VP was a pretty good match because it has a similar feel in the hand.

VPs are great for putter drives. I had a max weight firm VP last summer. Mine was more overstable with less glide than Aviars or Wizards. It reminded me of a putter version of a gator. I didn't like it much for actual putting though.

I've got a firm as well; anybody know if stability varies across the xlink firmness? I imagine there wouldn't be much variation. I recall reading the protos were super beef, more so than production run.

I've found the stability to be about the same between firm and medium, but firms beat in a little faster (not fast, just faster). I prefer mediums.

I have several protos that fly just like the production ones I have.

I have 2 VPs that I no longer use. Both are medium (I believe) and are 172-173g. I really liked driving with them as they realeased smooth out of the hand, I have bigger hands, but I moved on the a champ Aviar as I like the rim better.

Latest posts