• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Video for Critique

Noah, good job finding this site! We will have you hucking that thing in no time! It looks like you are sort of throwing a frisbee really hard. The thing id a dg drive is more of a straight pull with power generated similar to the way a batter does in a baseball swing. So watch the brinster video over and over again and read the technique sections until you can follow the discussions that are posted on technique and see those issues in your drive. Look at your grip first and have fun with it all....nice field by the way! :lol:

Check out the article on grip and find one you like, then just try throwing standing still. Sand with your right shoulder at the target, reach back with the disc to past your left shoulder, then pull it from there, past your right chest as *close* to your chest as you can. When you pull through you should finish and follow-through by rotating around (to save your elbow/arm).

You can gain some momentum by pushing off on your left foot to blast your hips open and start the rotation of your hips, then your waist, then your shoulders, then your arm whips out.

Best thing you can do is watch some videos that Blake has - Climo, Brinster, Avery Jenkins, Dave Feldbert, Des Reading, Angele Tsigfrie, etc. Any of the top pros. You can pause them and with a good player, slo-mo them. Then see what they're doing. Since you have a camera, you can then video your shots and compare what you're doing. That'd be the fastest way to get your throw looking more DG like.

Have fun!

looks like you need to start the pull a bit slower and explode more at the end. follow through and it should help.

welcome to the board! if you're throwing rocs and gazelles you're well on your way

A good thing common in these throws is that you have consistency. The throws didn't seem to be too different from each other in many respects. The thing that varied the most was nose angle and that I think should be your first priority to fix more on this later.

I like that you have a large follow through in the range of motion. It protects you from injuries. Just like pivoting on your last step and stepping through the throw with your left leg after the rip.

I also do like that you are bending your right knee well in the plant(last before rip) step. A good thing too is that you bend your waist forward. These help with getting the nose of the disc down. The nose being in this case the front of the disc. The snag is that you have too little bend forward at the waist at the rip. The center of your chest is behind your right knee at the rip. This in part leads to the fact that the disc leaves your hand so that the front of the disc above horizon. This creates huge amounts of drag and slows the disc down and raises it high (almost or fully) stops the discs and it stalls to the left. You lose major distance this way.

Even more important is to read to grip it to rip it article on the main page. You don't bend your wrist down. This is the number one cause to having nose up angle on your throws. Not having the wrist down also creates off axis torque which kils distance a lot and makes flight lines way more flippy and understable than the disc actually is. Please do use the search function on this board to search for OAT and off axis torque. Lot's of gems... :) Your hand is lower at the reach back and higher at the rip which makes the nose up problem worse. Try to keep the height of the disc constant through the throw.

You don't really seem to twist your hips powerfully and quickly. It seems that you just turn by the momentum of your steps. You should also try to accelerate the arm after the disc passes your right side very quickly. This requires slow arm speed up to that point. Your arm should be straight and pointed at the target when the disc leaves your hand.

There are other small things but you have a lot to train in these areas and I think that you should get these basics right before honing the less important things. Since you have a video camera I think you ought to get the basics to work first and then post a new video for the rest of the goodies :) With luck you've gotten the rest right training for these basics.

Good luck and have fun in training. You should see a lot more distance fairly quickly once you get what is written in the articles and on this board. And apply them to your throws.

A few things I noticed:

1. you start the pull hyzer and end it flat - wrist roll will cause all sorts of fun
2. you start the pull low and end it high - this forces the disc to fly nose up
3. your weight is still behind your plant foot when you release, or if it isn't, it's not transfered forward as much as most throws I see
4. you curl your wrist a good deal - think of it more as keeping your wrist straight and allowing it to act like a spring would if you swung it...it'll flex a bit, but the tension you use to generate good snap doesn't allow it to curl around that much
5. the path the disc makes with your throw is an arc, it should be a straight line from the start of the pull to when it snaps out of your hand, otherwise you're robbing power from it
6. your practice field is WAY nicer than mine! :evil: hehe

each of these is really kinda a minor thing, but something you're going to need to work out if you want to get better D, and I think you'll see a pretty hefty improvement in your D if you can iron these out...

Thanks so much. I'll print this out and take it to the field with me. It looks like I've got a long way to go, but I'm really excited to get some feed back. I'll be working on this over the coming weeks and months. Thanks again for the feedback, it's great to have so many things to work on and improve!

Oh, you said check out Blakes Videos. Where are they? On the main site or are they on youtube. Thanks.

WOOT, thanks for this thread topic!! I can use these tips as well. I have read alot of the tips in the technique section but being able to see and read is helpful.

Thanks again!!

noah said:
Thanks so much. I'll print this out and take it to the field with me. It looks like I've got a long way to go, but I'm really excited to get some feed back. I'll be working on this over the coming weeks and months. Thanks again for the feedback, it's great to have so many things to work on and improve!

Oh, you said check out Blakes Videos. Where are they? On the main site or are they on youtube. Thanks.

on the main DGR page on the left hand side is a link that has video analysis or throwing analysis. tons of clips

Thanks, DGDave, I didn't see the download link below the pictures. That is a great resource. I have a question about my 'arc' problem. Could fixing the arc problem, fix the OAT and wrist roll problems? By pulling straight instead of arcing, will I see this minimized/disapear?

yeah, all your pulls should be straight. if its hyzer, pull through on that line and follow through. if you arc your throw its gonna cause OAT.

Finally got to watch the vids. Try priming(when you stick the disc out in front of you before you throw) more level instead of up in the air. If you watch Avery or Doss they prime, but do it level or on the line they want to throw. This is a muscle memory and mental thing. I wouldn't worry about the starting low finishing high. this is the way I throw and leardned this from Stokely, former distance record holder, and Brian Schweberger get real low and finishes high. You just have to really work on getting the nose down for this to work.

Congrats on picking up the game, and trying to learn proper technique early, and keep it up

DGdave,

I went out and practiced tonight and I adjusted two things. One was getting the back of the disc higher in my hand and the other was the straight pull. Not sure which one, but seemed to really help with the nose angle thing. I'm going back to no x-step until I get my form how I want it, and then I'll add the x-step again.

Something that might help you accomplish all this stuff people are suggesting would be to slow down a bit and make all of your movements "smaller." Work on getting your form right and then think about speeding things up.

It also may help if you aim lower for now. Try for low, straight shots until you're getting the nose down and they're coming consistantly, then work on throwing higher and nose down.

garublador,

That's great advice, and that's exactly what I did. No x-step, no real reach back. I was getting 120' with my aviars and no real body motion other than weight transfers and my arm coming straight forward on the pull. I changed my grip up a little bit too. I'll re-read the grip article in a few days after a few practice sessions to see if there isn't any more room for improvement.

Thanks again for all the advice it really helped me out.

I saw this video and it made me think about your drive.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oXoWaskHpr8

Looking at your drive it seems that you don't really get the disc high enough on your chest to harness your hip and back power in a linear way. Most Pros get their disc to their trailing armpit during their pull through on straight shots but you seem to "shoot from the hip".

Just my 2 cents. btw I have no idea what he means by reverse pivot.

Thanks for the vid link. You're right about shooting from the hip. I've since corrected this and am working my way down the list of things to correct and correcting them one practice session at a time. I'm still not doing the xstep or exploding, but I'm driving a P'n'A aviar about 130-140' accurately with just my arm and a weight transfer.

I believe by reverse pivot, he means pivoting on the rear leg. As you can see, his weight is on the back leg as he pivots through the hip. The correct way is to be over your plant foot and pivot on that foot.