• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] War Horse - Overstable driver by Westside Discs

Is it more OS than a Cutlass or Gladiator? It looks like it would be.

My Opto Warhorse is slightly more stable than my Gladiator. Sits between a Gladiator and a Elasto Giant in stability. At my 350' max power, I can't get it to turn at all, but I have yet to try into a stiff headwind. I typically won't carry a Warhorse in my bag, as my Gladiator covers a lot of shots, but for windy days I plan to add the Warhorse. It's longer than my Elasto Giant, and more consistent for me, and beefy enough. I like it.

Is it more OS than a Cutlass or Gladiator? It looks like it would be.

I haven't thrown those yet, but it seems like if you took a Stiletto made the grip a little easier and added glide.

How similar are these to a nuke OS?

The Nuke OS I had was less OS than these, but I've heard people say the one I had was not as OS as it should have been. So I would was it's similar to a Nuke OS but the hand feel is less sharp.

I have really started using UDisc this off-season to help dial in what discs I should throw on different holes and the Warhorse at times has surprised me by how far it goes.

I usually put it 400-420 with good accuracy, but on a few pulls where I did a good job of staying over my front foot I got up to 455 including one today. If it's wasn't so wildly I wonder if my more beat ones would go even further.

Warhorse

Threw a Warhorse for the first time today. Tournament burst plastic, 174g. This disc has a nice dome, and the rim feels a little bit deep. The plastic is beautiful and very slightly gummy.

The flight numbers listed on the Warhorse are 13, 4, 0, 4. I found this disc to fly pretty true to those numbers. The only thing I'd change is the speed, lowering it to 12. I don't feel like the Warhorse is quite zippy enough to be 13 speed.

Thrown flat I wasn't able to keep this disc level for any period of time. It starts hyzering out quickly. I was able to throw it upwind and downwind. Let's just say the Warhorse isn't at all bothered by a headwind. I noticed no turn, nor would the disc even really flatten out. Downwind (predictably) the Warhorse didn't fly at all. It felt like a dinner plate.

From a distance standpoint I found the Warhorse to be on the short side. That was expected, as this disc isn't really built to be a maximum distance bomber (at least not for anyone under 500' power). My top distance with the Warhorse was about 380', which I achieved by releasing the disc hard, high, and anhyzer. Thrown anny the Warhorse will actually cover ground decently. Most throws I had were more like 360'.

Overall, I liked the Warhorse. It flies as advertised, and has to be the most overstable driver Westside makes. For me its comparable to a Gladiator or XCaliber. I'd also liken it to a much faster Firebird. The Warhorse is built for windy conditions and expert level arms. I don't quite have the arm to make this disc stand up and glide. The only way I could create distance with the Warhorse was to throw it as hard as I could on a big anny line. This disc doesn't glide overly well. Whatever distance you see you'll have to earn the hard way. This is absolutely NOT a disc for beginners.

Warhorse: 12, 4, 0, 4. Pretty basic. Not a ton of glide. Not even an iota of high speed turn. Right out of my hand the Warhorse started working left. Distance can be forced out of this mold, but overall I didn't find it to be super long. Great disc for stiff headwinds. It holds very steady. Fade is sudden and steep. The Warhorse hits the ground at a 45 degree angle.

Last edited:
I can't remember specifically what the exact measurement is off hand, but the rim width on the one Warhorse I own measures somewhere in between an Enforcer and Defender- right around the same as the Raider I have.

If anyone even finds that interesting...

I can't remember specifically what the exact measurement is off hand, but the rim width on the one Warhorse I own measures somewhere in between an Enforcer and Defender- right around the same as the Raider I have.

If anyone even finds that interesting...

Rim width aside, I just didn't feel like the Warhorse was super fast. Definitely not faster than a Destroyer. The rim also seems a little deep.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ejJ59FMkeZ0

Just in case anyone ever wanted to watch a poor quality video of me throwing Warhorses as far as I can.

Man, Moose, that 500 foot War Horse rip was VERY impressive. How seasoned is that pink one? I only use my war horse for very windy days or when I want to throw a flex into a decent headwind but that means it doesn't have much seasoning on it. You're making me want to season my war horse now and see what it can do...;)

Man, Moose, that 500 foot War Horse rip was VERY impressive. How seasoned is that pink one? I only use my war horse for very windy days or when I want to throw a flex into a decent headwind but that means it doesn't have much seasoning on it. You're making me want to season my war horse now and see what it can do...;)

It's been in the bag on and off for about 6 months, but it's also the heaviest of the three at 174. Probably at this point it's about the same as a fresh Os Giant.

Reviving the thread from the depths of the dead.

Went out and played a round with Moose the other day and threw his War Horse a time or two and it really caught my attention; I've been throwing Carnivores for my distance driver slot but was wanting to have a two mold setup with a beefier driver mold for the OS side and the carnivore for the straight to understable side.

How does the War Horse compare vs the PD2/other power distance driver molds? Specifically when it wears in as well. I'm hoping it has the nice sweeping fade once it wears in vs drifting a little right then just dumping out left RHBH. If the WH isn't what I seek, I'm also very interested in any other recommendations! I'm throwing carnivores 450-475 on the course for reference.

Gateway Spell not quite OS enough

Halo Emperor is close but I'm hoping for a hair more HSS for how LSS it gets

Haven't thrown PD2s much at all, maybe that's what I'm looking for

Nitro doesn't have the glide

Enforcer is close but isn't very long when beaten in

Thanks so much!

Reviving the thread from the depths of the dead.

Went out and played a round with Moose the other day and threw his War Horse a time or two and it really caught my attention; I've been throwing Carnivores for my distance driver slot but was wanting to have a two mold setup with a beefier driver mold for the OS side and the carnivore for the straight to understable side.

How does the War Horse compare vs the PD2/other power distance driver molds? Specifically when it wears in as well. I'm hoping it has the nice sweeping fade once it wears in vs drifting a little right then just dumping out left RHBH. If the WH isn't what I seek, I'm also very interested in any other recommendations! I'm throwing carnivores 450-475 on the course for reference.

Gateway Spell not quite OS enough

Halo Emperor is close but I'm hoping for a hair more HSS for how LSS it gets

Haven't thrown PD2s much at all, maybe that's what I'm looking for

Nitro doesn't have the glide

Enforcer is close but isn't very long when beaten in

Thanks so much!
I haven't thrown a Warhorse, but having thrown a Halo Emperor, PD2 and Enforcer I could see you liking the PD2. It's longer than the Enforcer, glides well for a fast OS disc and it's more HSS than the Emperor.

If you do go PD2 I'd recommend S-line or whatever Infinite's version has that is close to that. C-line sounds like it would be dumpier than you want.

I just remember someone throwing a disc towards the water on Waco hole 2 (during OTB skins?) and immediately shouting, "Be a Warhorse! Be a Warhorse!"
lol Clemons 100%, he and I were the ones keeping the Warhorse flame alive. I don't know with him leaving DD who else might throw it.

B, gave you my take but I've got a couple beat in ones you could try next time you are in town. Let me know and I'll have one around.

I think they beat in to have some turn but the fade never completely leaves.

Feels better than a PD2 ever could though.

Seems like this just got an Ice pressing along with a couple of other sorta discontinued molds, Knight and Halo. Last year it was XXX, Striker and Trident getting the same treatment.

Yes, I grabbed a couple and they are good. Nicely OS similar to the tournament bust ones.