• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weight Shift From Behind You

I've finally been getting a feel for this lately after about 9 months of field work. Combination of two drill is really helping me with it:

HUB's windmill:

Combined with Sidewinders slash thru:

Doing a windmill swing and just focusing on what SW is talking about here, keeping your hand on the outside and letting the disc pull your arm and chest out. Doing the windmill drill on a downhill lie allows you to get a feel for that downshift as well. Also, you can get a good feel for this combing a slow windmill swing with a the swivel stairs drill.

So, if I'm understanding the Bradley Williams video, the weight shift (from back to front leg) comes when you begin the "reach back". I am understanding that correctly?

So, if I'm understanding the Bradley Williams video, the weight shift (from back to front leg) comes when you begin the "reach back". I am understanding that correctly?
Or you could think about it that your "reachback" happens when you shift forward from behind leaving the shoulder/arm/disc lagging behind like door frame drills.

To bad there's no audio with this. I noticed after he shifts his weight, he rotates his off shoulder with the disc, as his arm collapses.
Think of it like a spring, it will compress inward as you start to rotate and lag the arm/disc and then extend out to the release when you stop rotating. Then followthru. The tighter the spring, the more force it can load and unload. You want to resist the compression to load the spring.

Or you could think about it that your "reachback" happens when you shift forward from behind leaving the shoulder/arm/disc lagging behind like door frame drills.

Awesome, thank you. I don't know why that GIF gave me the "aha" moment, but it did. Thanks for your constant feedback SW!

Should this "from behind" shift feel almost like you are falling backwards?

I think the elephant walk drill is a much better way to get a feel for shifting from behind. The problem with thinking about "falling backwards" is that it's a pretty foreign motion. We don't spend our days just falling backwards and catching ourselves. We do spend our days walking around.

If you just pick up something heavy like a dumbbell, kettlebell, etc, and just go toss it backhand. Just like tossing a horseshoe but backhand- You're brain will naturally shift from behind to help you do this.

You can also just hop/shuffle laterally like your trying to stay in front of someone you are guarding in basketball - that type of shift is much more natural than falling backwards.