• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Warship

My sparkle Opto Core seems more stable than my Tourney Warship. I think the Core is heavier too. Plastic and weight variables. Sigh.. But I really like the Warship, great glide.

Just ordered one. Tourney, 177g.

Real happy with my other Westside, but I doubt it will replace the Buzzz.

Just got my new Red Opto Warship and took took it for a spin. I can say that I haven't been this excited about a midrange since the I first threw a Buzzz. At 300ft, my Buzzz is dead straight with a slight fade. Whereas the Warship had about a -1 turn and a 1 fade, bringing it back dead center on target. While the warship was slightly less stable than my Z buzzz, it was faster and had more glide: constantly landing about 15 to 20 feet farther than the buzz. It definitely has a little turn to it but really fights it well and never came close to being flippy. It is a little less HSS than my Z Buzzz with about the same LSS. It wasn't windy so I couldn't tell how it handles the wind well. Also, it seemed to be very forgiving of release errors and did not appear to be very nose sensitive. It has replaced my seasoned buzz as it has a very similar flight but faster with more glide. So all in all, I would say it is a speed 6, glide 5, turn -1 , and fade 1. Kinda like a faster seasoned buzz with more glide.

This disc is awesome. I threw it a few times this weekend at the FBA meetup(thanks heartman :)) and it has a nice balance of speed and glide, stable enough to fight off a bit of wind and still shape some lines. I kind of want to grab one to put it up against rocs.

I know this this might be blasphemy, but my initial impression is that it belongs on the same pedestal as the ROC and Buzzz in terms of "having that special something". Granted, I haven't thrown it near enough to pass final judgement, and I am curious how slow and well it breaks in, but it had one of the most amazing out-of-the-box flights I have seen. Only time will tell, but i have a feeling the big two (Roc and buzz) might become the big 3 (Roc Buzzz and Warship). I think it's gonna slowly beat in to an awesome understable/ hyper-flip mid. I just hopes that it doesn't beat in too quickly cause I am blown away with how it is flying right now.

The thing about speculation is that once it has been shown to be overly optimistic and baseless, enough time has passed for people to forget you ever said it ;)

Warships are awesome for what they do well and that is straight, glidey shots with minimal fade. They just don't do a lot of other things really well. If you want a line shaper, it can do it, but there are far better discs out there for that. It is not stable enough to handle L2R and head winds, so that alone knocks it off the list of workhorse right there. But it definitely has a spot in my lineup because of how accessible that dead nuts straight, glidey shot is to get with it.

Warships are awesome for what they do well and that is straight, glidey shots with minimal fade. They just don't do a lot of other things really well. If you want a line shaper, it can do it, but there are far better discs out there for that. It is not stable enough to handle L2R and head winds, so that alone knocks it off the list of workhorse right there. But it definitely has a spot in my lineup because of how accessible that dead nuts straight, glidey shot is to get with it.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you here. My 176 VIP Warship handles crosswinds very well, I even had a chastity belt hit on a 290' hole with a 15mph right to left wind going. My 169 tourny ship on the other hand is a little more flippy than my VIP, so I don't reach for it in windy situations as much, but then again why would I throw a 169 mid in anything but a tailwind? I also haven't had any problems shaping the lines that I want with my heavier tourny ship.

For headwinds I prefer my Vector, but I would still be confidant throwing my VIP into them.

I have also seen this ^ difference between heavy and light ones. Domey VIPS are the most stable of the bunch.

But I also agree with Carter that once they turn or flatten, they probably aren't coming back that much/at all.

The Buzzz is a workhorse mid but I don't throw them into headwinds (the Hornet comes out for those shots). As far as L2R, mine seemed to handle it as well as my seasoned Buzzz. It was definitely premature for me to compare them with the big 2: I just got a little excited after throwing it and falling in love with it. But I do believe it has that "IT" factor that only a couple midranges have: At least for me. It will never be the stable workhorse for power throwers, but it does what it does so well, that I believe it has a bright future in many bags.

There is no doubting that the Warship if given the chance could make a lot of people's bags.

Hmm...I wonder if I should try out a heavier VIP for a little bit more stability??
My ~170g VIP and Tourney are about the same in stability even with the difference in domes, so I was assuming that there wouldn't be too much difference in a heavier VIP. Maybe I should give it a try...

I got the opto warship and c-MD2 on the same day and the Warship was far superior in every way. The MD2 was extremely nose sensitive and torque sensitive. It crashed and burned to the right at about 200ft while the Warship was dead straight going about 325ft ( I have retooled my throw and have gotten rid of most my OAT, and since my other discs were flying as advertised I just have to assume that the MD2 I got is just a bad disc or your form has to be flawless to make it fly right). The MD2 also felt really clunky and had no glide. Absolutely hated it. Climo must have a different mold cause this thing was flipper than my Meteor.
Today I took the Warship out again and threw it side by side with a new z glo Buzzz, lightly seasoned z Buzzz and a barely used R pro roc. After two hours I can say that the Warship matched those discs shot for shot while being slightly faster with more glide. I was throwing RHBH into a 3 mph headwind one way and the tailwind the other way. The shots were around 300 to 325ft. The R pro roc was landing slightly right of center(the least stable of the group but in no way understable), the seasoned z buzz and Warship were very similar (straight with a tiny fade) with the Warship always a few feet ahead, and the glo buzz being the most stable finished the farthest left of center. After more time with it I stand by my previous impression: I have no problem saying that the Warship belongs on the list with rocs and buzzz's. It was every bit as reliable, consistent and dependable as the roc and buzzz's i was throwing. I haven't tested it in moderate to heavy winds yet so my opinion might change if it doesn't hold up to the wind as well, but it handled the light headwind as well as the others.
If you want it to have some turn to it, get the Tourney plastic, if you want it to be stable like a buzz, get the VIP plastic.

Looking back to the first night I threw, I did get a slight (-1) turn to it, but I was rushing to get some throws in that night and maybe my form wasn't perfect, because today I was focusing on very clean form and it didn't have the turn, it was dead straight with a slight fade.

I am a roc guy, almost every shot that is to long for an anode or not "long enough" for a teebird/leopard is a roc. I carry a ESP FLX buzzz for one thing only. 250-300' low tunnel dead straight shots. It is perfect for that shot, when I can throw it right. The Buzzz has just never felt great in my hands. It might be the feel of the plastic. Anyways, I ordered a TI Buzzz and a Tourney Warship. These two will compete for that low, straight tunnel shot. My question is, which do you think will be better at that? Keep in mind I do't need it to be workable or to do anything special, I just want a dead straight glidey SOB.