• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wet Shoes

seedlings

* Ace Member *
TLDR: What kind of shoes do you wear that keep your feet dry in wet, dew grass?

Every morning in the Midwest the grass is heavy with dew. Feet get soaked so fast it's no fun to play until noon. Even then, shady grass is still wet.

Back when I used to ball golf, the shoes were waterproof so that I never remember this problem.

I dowsed my normal hiking boots with the silicone waterproof spray which seems to give me 20 extra minutes before my feet are soaked.

I have worn both Merrell and Keen waterproof hikers. They each have their merits, but are great for keeping your feet dry, until they wear out. They are hot and sweaty feet can become an issue. Half the solution to wet feet is a sock answer.

Given the difference in the length of grass, you can't compare walking on a nicely manicured golf fairway to walking on a disc golf course.

It's amazing how wet your feet can get just walking in a field with nothing more than morning dew.

Decent hiking boots that feature a Goretex or similar waterproof liner seem to work well... for a while. Depending on how long and wet the grass is, they can keep your feet dry for an entire morning round.

But if the grass is particularly long and holding a lot of water, your socks could be wet by the back 9, even with decent Goretex hikers.

All those membranes seem to lose at least some of their effectiveness after about a year or so, but they still seem to delay the inevitable sock soaking longer than "regular" hiking boots, and definitely better than most running shoes

I bring a few pairs of shoes on road trips so I can put on dry shoes and socks after a wet morning round.

TLDR: What kind of shoes do you wear that keep your feet dry in wet, dew grass?

Every morning in the Midwest the grass is heavy with dew. Feet get soaked so fast it's no fun to play until noon. Even then, shady grass is still wet.

Back when I used to ball golf, the shoes were waterproof so that I never remember this problem.

I dowsed my normal hiking boots with the silicone waterproof spray which seems to give me 20 extra minutes before my feet are soaked.

Various ways to go about this, each with pros/cons. Some of these might sound ridiculous to some, but be the perfect solution for others:

1. Simply bring an extra pair of shoes and socks (or 2 or 3...) and change between rounds.
2. Waterproof hiking boots. H2O-proof at the cost of mobility/agility. Expensive.
3. Some combo of waterproof sock (I've had great results and a long life out of all my Sealskinz waterproof socks/gloves) and semi-waterproof shoes. I've used Merrill and Sealskinz, and even got a pair of shoes half a size larger to accommodate the thickness of the heavy winter trekking socks. This option has worked best for me after trying out the other options, but it's an investment in gear some might not want to make. This is, literally, walk through freezing rivers quality of foot protection, warmth, and dryness. To be clear, this is a wool sock, then sealskinz, then hiking shoe setup. I wouldn't recommend Merrill, though; try any of the other good hiking shoes (e.g., Keen et al.)
4. "Water-proof" shoes and some other sort of water mitigation method: sprays, dips, plastic baggies (lol!), basically anything that adds some measure of added protection but doesn't quite achieve great results.
5. Be a man and wear cotton tennis socks and adidas sneakers and gut it out over multiple rounds in over a foot of snow. :|

The other option is to just embrace the water and play in a good pair of waterproof sandals.

You must be a fairway hitter. I'm a tree and thorn bush hitter. I do have wide duck-feet, but they're not ogre-feet. :D But I practice in the backyard in sandals. And just so I don't give the wrong impression about manliness, I also mow and weed-eat in sandals. But I can control the trimmer WAaaAY better than a disc.

Bring an extra pair of shoes and socks for your second round. Get used to the idea of playing your first round with wet shoes and socks. I did, doesn't bother me anymore. The right gear and some experience will make this easier. I have found that polyester socks and light no gortex/no waterproofing are the best kind of shoes for this. Waterproof shoes will just eventually get wet and not breathe or dry well, get hot and soaked/heavy with all the extra material.

I like regular trail running shoes, I use the Adidas Terrex without gortex, and any old poly socks you can buy anywhere.

I have Gortex Terrexes as well, but I don't bust those out until day temps get colder, like under 50. When it starts to get that cold we tend not to have as much morning dew and it's basically fall.

Go buy ball golf shoes without spikes. They make some pretty athletic ones nowadays.

Otherwise I recommend buying a shoe marketed as a "trail running" shoe; these -should- be waterproof up a significant part of the sidewall. You should be able to see visually exactly how far the waterproofing goes. If you see holes it isn't waterproof.

Last advice is to take higher steps. Dragging your feet will get your feet wet no matter what you wear.

We had 74 days of measurable precipitation where I live from June 1-August 31. You could say I'm experienced at playing in wet. Hiking shoes with a waterproof membrane help, better if they have a real leather outer that you can oil up to repel water. Best thing honestly is to put on good socks and just roll with it. And by good socks I don't mean waterproof, you want to breathe, just something that wicks like wool.

Waterproof sandals? I think he meant water sandals. Being sandals it would be tough to make them waterproof.

Anyways, any lightweight hiking, trail runner with GoreTex could be good. I'm liking a pair of Merrel Moab's Goretex the best right now. I got probably 8 pairs of waterproof shoes and these are the best for dryness, durability and combination of lightness/mobility.

Go buy ball golf shoes without spikes. They make some pretty athletic ones nowadays.

Otherwise I recommend buying a shoe marketed as a "trail running" shoe; these -should- be waterproof up a significant part of the sidewall. You should be able to see visually exactly how far the waterproofing goes. If you see holes it isn't waterproof.

Last advice is to take higher steps. Dragging your feet will get your feet wet no matter what you wear.

I thought about that as well (spikeless golf shoes), however I was concerned about the durability on concrete and the traction as well.

I like the Merrill Glove shoes. They are the "barefoot/minimalist" type of shoe. I have the Move Glove version and wouldn't recommend it....it does keep my feet dry, but the stink afterwards is awful. The other versions have something else added to help kill the smell.

Bring an extra pair of shoes and socks for your second round. Get used to the idea of playing your first round with wet shoes and socks. I did, doesn't bother me anymore. The right gear and some experience will make this easier. I have found that polyester socks and light no gortex/no waterproofing are the best kind of shoes for this. Waterproof shoes will just eventually get wet and not breathe or dry well, get hot and soaked/heavy with all the extra material.

I like regular trail running shoes, I use the Adidas Terrex without gortex, and any old poly socks you can buy anywhere.

I have Gortex Terrexes as well, but I don't bust those out until day temps get colder, like under 50. When it starts to get that cold we tend not to have as much morning dew and it's basically fall.

You can wash your waterproof shoes and they will regain most of the newness of waterproofing. I think that dirt and sweaty oils/whatever gets into the membrane or onto the shoe itself and it makes the membrane soak through much easier. The membrane doesn't work well if it's dirty.

Take the laces out, wash them on gentle cycle, the dry them in the sun. Oh and take the inserts out too to wash together but dry separately.

Latest posts