• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] What about Gateway?

I didn't say I thought this was a great idea or supported it. However, I thought it was at least worth bringing up the fact that the company has made some attempt to address the issue of varying mold consistency. Whether we chose to believe them or not is a completely different subject.

I appreciate your post because that is the line given from Gateway...I'm just saying it's some major spin because inconsistency is bad, and nobody makes bad discs on purpose. Variation is achieved consistently by making different molds, in a couple plastic choices, in different colors, stamps, etc. Saying they are inconsistent on purpose is sort of like BP saying that the oil spill in the Gulf was good because it allowed them to innovate ways of capping holes in the ocean floor and oil dispersant technology.

I appreciate your post because that is the line given from Gateway...I'm just saying it's some major spin because inconsistency is bad, and nobody makes bad discs on purpose. Variation is achieved consistently by making different molds, in a couple plastic choices, in different colors, stamps, etc. Saying they are inconsistent on purpose is sort of like BP saying that the oil spill in the Gulf was good because it allowed them to innovate ways of capping holes in the ocean floor and oil dispersant technology.

Haha, point well made. :)

I'm a fan of the Wizard, Magic, and Warrior. The Warrior is a very dependable, overstable mid that has competed with my FLX Drone for a while. If I'm looking to lighten then load I will take out the Drone in favor of the Warrior because it's easier to throw because of the smaller lip and low profile. I like the Drone but the fat lip on the FLX plastic is sometimes an issue.

I'm a fan of the Wizard, Magic, and Warrior. The Warrior is a very dependable, overstable mid that has competed with my FLX Drone for a while. If I'm looking to lighten then load I will take out the Drone in favor of the Warrior because it's easier to throw because of the smaller lip and low profile. I like the Drone but the fat lip on the FLX plastic is sometimes an issue.

How long have you had your Warrior? It is definitely a stable mid, but I don't know if I would throw it in the same class as a Drone. My Warrior beat into a nice stable mid. I found it very comparable to a new DX Roc.

I've had it for many months. It's E-Series plastic, super durable and as overstable as the day I got it. The Drone is still the meathook (and definitely more so than the Warrior) that I need at times but the Warrior is slightly easier to throw, and therefore more consistent for me.

I've got a Sure Grip Warrior that I've been beating on for almost a year, and it's become a beautiful turnover/understable mid, but I'm sure I could replace it with another mid (maybe an X or Pro D Buzzz?) that would do the same thing.

I remember back about a decade ago, everyone went nuts about Innova's inconsistent runs. I think they just pump out tons more discs that Gateway. Gateway had a consistent stable for a while and now it's different every time I look it seems. I could def play with an all-GDS bag and have done so and played well. I've seen some of their sponsored guys play lights out with their stuff. I think it's more the indian than the arrow. a better arrow maybe, but a good indian can throw anything.

yeah, i thought it should have been "archer" to be PC, but Climo is the perfect indian i suppose. i really think the mental aspect of golf is underrated. if you feel good throwing a red disc, you may very well throw it better than any other, just cause you think you will. lots of factors. innova is just the beastmaker of discs, and all others follow their lead. gateway has always seemed to react to what they do more than vice versa. i don't know any of the guys personally, but i've always enjoyed the two daves' views and products. i think gateway gets a bad rap overall, but some of it is deserved. when i began, it was a cliche to hate them, and either be all innova or all discraft. reminded me of democrats and republicans. immediately i got a demon, and all the other guys made fun of me. a year later the gator and drones showed up. sometimes gateway leads.

I just got an S Element and Evo Assassin.

The Assassin goes dead straight with a tiny bit of fade at the end which I love- definitely the straightest driver (minus my beat up DX Wraith) that I've thrown and immediatly became my primary driver.

I'm still getting used to the Element, but it usually flies pretty straight for me unless I rip it, then it kinda anhyzers on me.

Love Gateway so far, looking forward to trying a few more of their discs and adding another Assassin to my lineup.

aj

I discovered my blaze was no longer round. :( I really wish their good plastic would come lighter.

yeah, i thought it should have been "archer" to be PC, but Climo is the perfect indian i suppose. i really think the mental aspect of golf is underrated. if you feel good throwing a red disc, you may very well throw it better than any other, just cause you think you will. lots of factors. innova is just the beastmaker of discs, and all others follow their lead. gateway has always seemed to react to what they do more than vice versa. i don't know any of the guys personally, but i've always enjoyed the two daves' views and products. i think gateway gets a bad rap overall, but some of it is deserved. when i began, it was a cliche to hate them, and either be all innova or all discraft. reminded me of democrats and republicans. immediately i got a demon, and all the other guys made fun of me. a year later the gator and drones showed up. sometimes gateway leads.
The Gator was out for almost a year before the Demon came out. Sometimes Gateway follows.

I play quite a bit with the best player that actually throws Gateway exclusively. He does tear it up, but he tore it up before he threw Gateway as well. That being said, he has to use a different style than most other players because his discs just won't fly on the same lines as Innova's and Discraft's. This has become less true since the new Apache and Savage came out...Those are some underrated Gateway discs, but they still don't quite compare to the newest stuff from the other companies. He basically throws Wizards, Demon, ELX (old whitish clear run), Blaze, an Illusion, the Apache, and Savage...He may have a Spirit as well.

Anyway, he gets a lot of players into the sport, and of course they start out all GDS. Every one of them that sticks with the game and gets good however ends up throwing other stuff. Most of them get pissed trying to track down more clear ELXs, baby blue Illusions, Arch Wizards, Orange E Blazes, etc, etc. Keeping a good Gateway bag is a real PITA, and that is the biggest problem.

The Gator was out for almost a year before the Demon came out. Sometimes Gateway follows.

I really don't see them as the same...demon has a much more standard style wing and actually has glide where the gator is a brick.

I really don't see them as the same...demon has a much more standard style wing and actually has glide where the gator is a brick.

Three Putt was just responding to the post he quoted where a poster claimed that Innova's Gator and Discraft's Drone were somehow influenced by Gateway's release of the Demon.

The original Gator that you saw in 2000 wasn't as bricky as the current Gator X. But discspeed was right, that wasn't really my point.

Yeah I get your point...never seen an original gator, did it share the same profile or is it completely retooled?

It's been a long time since I saw an old Gator. Actually it's been a long time since I saw a Gator period. I'd have to dig some up to be sure, but as I recall the nose is a lot more blunt now. Or I could be thinking of something else. I have a proto at home someplace, so I'll dig it up when I get home. At any rate, it wasn't as overstable when it came out as it is now.

I have only thrown a wizard, magic, and element by Gateway. I didn't get anything from the wizard that I didn't already have with my jk aviar, but I love the magic and element. The magic is my putter, and that is all that I do with it.

Others have posted that the element is a stable mid, but mine is really understable and has been since I got it last winter. It is a 178 Evolution HPP. I really like it because there are many lines that it can take because of its stability, and it also has a ton of glide. For reference, I throw it about 300-320' on a hyzer-flip straight with little to no fade. My favorite shot with an element is one where the disc needs to stay straight for about 275' and then go hard to the right. Released with hyzer, the disc will stay straight until it finally flips all the way over and starts going right.

Last edited:
I may be wrong about the exact dates of Gator vs Demon. I loved 'em both. They were both about the same time I began playing. They weren't exactly the same, just the super stability was. I liked the Element and the Wizard, but I always preferred the Roc and the Aviars were as good as the Wiz. I've been tossing my Wiz lately, and it's a very nice putter though.