• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are the must-play courses in NORTH NorCal?

hisdudeness47

Birdie Member
Bay Area no. Grass Valley/Truckee/Tahoe no. I'm talking true north. Mendocino to the Oregon border. Planning a trip with a buddy who's driving down from Portland and I'm coming over/up from Reno. Have a few picked out as possibilities so far...

- Beau Pre DiscGolfPark
- The Redwood Curtain
- Salmon River DGC (Need to verify if this is open and playable but looks incredible)
- Birds of Paradise (ditto)
- Brooktrails
- Black Butte Lake
- Stony Gorge
- East Park Reservoir

Thoughts on these courses? Any other suggestions? Anyone have a secret private grow op/disc golf course they want to show off? I won't gossip. These lips are a steel trap.

I have no suggestions, but I'm subscribing to this thread because I'm planning a trip next year and I want to play amongst the giant old growth forests. Brooktrails in particular had caught my eye.

I have no suggestions, but I'm subscribing to this thread because I'm planning a trip next year and I want to play amongst the giant old growth forests. Brooktrails in particular had caught my eye.

If you want suggestions around Reno/Tahoe and the surrounding areas, I got you!

Found the Siskiyou U. course in Weed very interesting, and an easy access from I-5. I believe it's called the University of OB. :| :wall:

Last edited:
I've played Salmon River. The 15 mile drive to the course might take well over 2 hours. It's the scariest drive you will ever do. If a car is coming the other way it is possible you will have to back up a half mile on a windy road just big enough for one car.

But it's amazing. Though it's the only thing you'll do that day. Camping nearby in the trinity wilderness area is amazing also. Nice campgrounds minutes away.

There is also a second course just down the road.

If it's harvest time, expect to not be wanted in town.

Found the Siskiyou U. course in Weed very interesting, and an easy access from I-5. I believe it's called the University of OB. :| :wall:

Weed is actually where I'm meeting my buddy! It will be the start and the end of our loop. Was looking at that one but I think it was below 4 stars on UDisc so I paid it no mind. Salmon River was going to be our first course. Maybe we can squeeze Siskiyou in at the start of the end. Thanks for the tip!

For sure, let's hear your top 4 or 5 courses in the area.

Desert: Lizard Peak, Carson Ridge. These are both epic desert courses, especially Lizard with 40 baskets. So many loops and options.

Higher elevation mountains/pine trees: Zephyr Cove, Bijou, Stampede

Not really the Reno area but 1.5-2 hours west you have Condon Park, Penn Valley, Auburn Regional, my personal favorite - Lone Star (private course being built up to championship caliber, super cool owner who wants people to play it, contact him!), and more.

There's a trillion awesome courses with different types of terrain within an hour and a trillion more if you stretch the region to include Auburn/Grass Valley etc. It's a mecca as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Redwood Curtain, not the greatest course you will play but the scenery is unmatched and you get to throw plastic while enjoying your surroundings.

Latest posts