• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Course In Every State Heading Into 2020

Anyone have an opinion on how the foundation course in Centralia stacks up with Canyons, Camden etc. I was supposed to play Camden last August but it started storming, literally, as we pulled into the parking lot.

I would rate them Camden, Canyons, Centralia, but it's close. I haven't been out Camden's way in a long time so I'm not up-to-date on any recent developments (if any).

Canyons is pretty awesome, especially for the region it's in.

Centralia is pretty awesome, too, but a completely different style.

Each brings it's own style of golf, so a lot of it comes down to preference.

Edit: I'm referring to Camden II.

Canyons; Fairfield; Foundation

This could be another Moraine, Deer Lakes, Muddy Run convo.

Foundation is the only one I've reviewed, but I've played and enjoyed them all. I'd rate all three of them of them a 4.5, but... they're all quite different from each other.

Foundation Championship 18: Championship for a reason. Definitely a better fit for more experienced players, not accommodating for novices. Likely to be the most frustrating for noodle arms because even the shortest layout plays long. Might be the most satisfying of the three for Am1 or better players. Even so, this noodle arm loved it.

Canyons: IMO the most scenic of the three, and perhaps the most shot variety. Better fit for a wider variety of players than Foundation (but not to the degree that Fairfield is), proabably the most elevation changes of the 3. Struck me as being the most well rounded and my personal favorite of the three.

Fairfield: Does the best at accomodating a range of skills... especially if you understand about the alternate holes for #'s 10-15, and which set to play (10-15 gold are tough) - look at the map carefully to see what I mean. It's got the mosI'd say it's the Probably the best of the 3 in terms at appropriately challenging any given skill level, and IMO the best choice for a tourney in that you can assign different layouts to various divisions. But it would make it hard for a foursome of widely varying skill to enjoy together because of the different layouts. Probably the most prone to being flooded/swampy FWIW.

Bogey's Bottom line: Courses like these are why I'm a cherry-picking course bagger. All of them are so well done that there's no right/wrong answer... only references. Read some reviews, check out the pix, and plan your trip to IL. :)

*glares at menacingly at son for begging to skip Camden II because all the baskets were in the long position when we visited* :p

Last edited:
Blue Ribbon Pines, MN- Was amazed when I first played here. A few of the holes still awe but overall it isn't as fun as it is rated. Hidden Lake is a beast, too hard for all to rate highly. Bryant Lake is a lot of fun too.
Spearfish Canyon, SD- The best in the state for sure. Fun elevation. Gimmicky at points but beautiful and challenging. Pageant Hill in Custer is the next best ahead of a number of average courses.
Casper, WY- Wyoming is devoid of quality courses. True shame as it has some beautiful landscapes. I lived there for a bit and often dreamed of disc golfing in some of the areas that I hiked, backpacked, climbed and mountain bike through.
Cottonmill, NE- Cottonmill was fun but I definitely didn't think that I was playing a state's best course when I was here. Hummel in Omaha and TaHaZouka in Norfolk were about at the same level as Cottonmill.
Bucksnort, CO- Bucksnort was very unique and had a high fun factor. I played this course the same day as a very early day at Beaver Ranch and then hit Phantom before heading up the hill to Bucksnort. These three might all be the best to any given person.

This could be another Moraine, Deer Lakes, Muddy Run convo.

Bogey's Bottom line: Courses like these are why I'm a cherry-picking course bagger. All of them are so well done that there's no right/wrong answer... only references. Read some reviews, check out the pix, and plan your trip to IL. :)

*glares at menacingly at son for begging to skip Camden II because all the baskets were in the long position when we visited* :p

I've never been to Pennsylvania, but would love to get there eventually.

As far as IL, I've been looking at some courses for a trip down to St. Louis and ultimately Harmony Bends. Three Putt suggested Foundation, and I found out shortly after that it was one of two courses wishlisted for IL. It must've been years ago because I forgot all about it.

I'm going to play Foundation for sure on the way down there (both courses) and am thinking of staying in Davenport/Milan and hitting Camden I and II before heading home. Combined with HB, Indian Foothills (both), the Dam course etc. should be a fun trip. :thmbup:

Blue Ribbon Pines, MN- Was amazed when I first played here. A few of the holes still awe but overall it isn't as fun as it is rated. Hidden Lake is a beast, too hard for all to rate highly. Bryant Lake is a lot of fun too.

fwiw they tamed down hidden lake compared to the OG glory days

hole 2 rough was demolished on last half of fairway

hole 4 had a few big fairway trees fall and some of the rough trees were cleared out

hole 6 is missing a big chunk of trees along the fairway on the right and left side making it way moar open

7 basket was moved back due to maintenance building being erect but the long pad was moved back

hole 11 had some fairway tree removal

hole 18 had a ton of trees cleared out and plays really open now

however unless someone played it from the beginning they would have no clue about the changes

it still plays "tough" but no where near as grueling as it used to be

it def has moar mass appeal now but is still too tough for most to enjoy at a 5 disc rating

fwiw they tamed down hidden lake compared to the OG glory days

hole 2 rough was demolished on last half of fairway

hole 4 had a few big fairway trees fall and some of the rough trees were cleared out

hole 6 is missing a big chunk of trees along the fairway on the right and left side making it way moar open

7 basket was moved back due to maintenance building being erect but the long pad was moved back

hole 11 had some fairway tree removal

hole 18 had a ton of trees cleared out and plays really open now

however unless someone played it from the beginning they would have no clue about the changes

it still plays "tough" but no where near as grueling as it used to be

it def has moar mass appeal now but is still too tough for most to enjoy at a 5 disc rating

I first played this course before it really opened. It was a monster. It got a little easier in the first couple of years but I haven't been there since.

This thread is a fun duscussion!
...and a perfect example of why ratings should be taken with a grain (or perhaps a shaker full) of salt.

When ratings differ by a few hundredths of a point after 25+ reviews, saying one course is truly "better" than the other is a foolish statement. Those hundredths of a point could be due to agenda driven reviews, homer bias, or even the aggregate of a lot of well-meaning reviewers hemming and hawing over that incremental 0.5 of a point (amazing how often it feels that way).

Even among the most avid reviewers on this site, we're debating over rankings that we'll never be able to decide. We're generally looking for the same things, but every one of us may place difference importance to them.

The debate can be almost as much fun as the courses, so join in an enjoy! Just remember, whether you're talking about course ratings or disc flights, the numbers only provide a reasonably approximate idea, and are anything but absolute.

Last edited:
When ratings differ by a few hundredths of a point after 25+ reviews, saying one course is truly "better" than the other is a foolish statement. Those hundredths of a point could be due to agenda driven reviews, homer bias, or even the aggregate of a lot of well-meaning reviewers hemming and hawing over that incremental 0.5 of a point (amazing how often it feels that way).

Or just taste. If the consensus of 50 or 100 different reviewers ranks Course A higher than Course B, I find it presumptuous to say, "No. Course B is better." All I can say is, I personally like Course B more.

Arizona is referring to the Old version of Snowbowl. . .that is not a current and accurate rating. The new snowbowl is prolly a 3.5 on a good day.

Highest rated could be one of the other Flagstaff courses or Fountain Hills

Or just taste. If the consensus of 50 or 100 different reviewers ranks Course A higher than Course B, I find it presumptuous to say, "No. Course B is better." All I can say is, I personally like Course B more.

If use the word "presumptuous" in my next review, will cancel out the effects of quoting Cher? :confused:

If use the word "presumptuous" in my next review, will cancel out the effects of quoting Cher? :confused:

Depends on the quote/lyric used, and context in which it's used.

I'm debating whether using "sumptuous" and "presumptuous" in the same review warrants bonus points (or not). I think not.

…but that might be presumptuous of me.

All that I've played. Only commented on those where I played a lot in that state and/or when it stands out against every other course I've played. As if anyone cares what I think haha

Colorado: Bucksnort DGC (4.77) My personal favorite overall
Connecticut: Wickham Park (4.20) Agree
Delaware: Iron Hill (4.29) Agree
Florida: Picnic Island DGC (4.36) Canyon is better golf, but hey there's a beach
Georgia: Hobbs Farm Park (4.66) What about IDGC???!!
Hawaii: Kahului DGC (2.97) Playing in June
Kentucky: Idlewild (4.76) Agree
Maryland: Seneca Creek State Park (4.26) Patapsco for me
Massachusetts: 501 Disc Golf (4.71) I do love Maple, but I also don't like losing discs in water, so I support this
Michigan: Flip City Disc Golf Park (4.84)
Minnesota: Blue Ribbon Pines DGC (4.71) I consider this to be one of the most overrated courses out there. Kaposia!
Mississippi: Ross Barnett Reservoir - The Rez (4.10)
New Jersey: Stafford Woods (4.22) Hmmm, Thompson, Tecumseh all really good
New York: Brakewell Steel / Warwick Park (4.56) Cannot agree more, love this place!
North Carolina: Ashe County Park (4.47)
Oregon: Riverbend DGC (4.62)
Pennsylvania: Muddy Run DGC (4.67) Nope. Nockamixon, but we'll see how it plays after tree removal
Tennessee: Harmon Hills
Vermont: Smugglers Notch - Brewster Ridge (4.63) Agree, but not a lot of competition up there
Virginia: Hawk Hollow - Plentiful Creek (4.73)
West Virginia: Whippin' Post (4.41)
Wisconsin: Rollin Ridge (4.79) Highbridge when fully maintained and functional

Wow that's a really annoying color

I've only played 5, but hope to significantly increase that in the next few years.

Kentucky: Idlewild (4.76)
Massachusetts: 501 Disc Golf (4.71)
Michigan: Flip City Disc Golf Park (4.84)
Montana: Blue Mountain (4.12)
North Carolina: Ashe County Park (4.47)

I'm lucky enough to live about 3 miles from Blue Mountain. Strictly as a golf course, I think it holds up pretty well with the much higher rated others, but since it is on National Forest land it doesn't have any of the amenities that raise the overall experience they offer. On the other hand, if you include views in your ratings, it should probably go up a few tenths!

Five

Only played 5: Wickham, Seneca, Iron Hill, Whipping Post and Muddy Run. Maryland and Pennsylvania have so many "close" courses in terms of rating that I change my mind on my "favorite" in each state regularly. For PA, I tend to like Moraine the best but Deer Lakes, Muddy Run and No Boundary could also easily top the rating. In Maryland, Patapsco, Turkey Hill and Ditto Farms are all great. In WV, I tend to like The Woodshed slightly more than Whipping Post but have only been there 4 times; Orange Crush and Grand Vue-Black are also really good. I have Idlewild, Flip and Harmon Hills on my list for "soon". I might even do a Wisconsin / Minnesota trip. Of course, I still have not made it to Charlotte which is pathetic since it is only 8 hours away.

Colorado: Bucksnort DGC (4.77) - beautiful but gimmicky
Connecticut: Wickham Park (4.20) - absulutely
Delaware: Iron Hill (4.29) - long tee to short basket is a great layout
Kentucky: Idlewild (4.76) - love 2/3's of it
Maine: Sabattus Disc Golf- Eagle (4.70) - top 10
Maryland: Seneca Creek State Park (4.26) - yep
Massachusetts: 501 Disc Golf (4.71) - played once this past August, loved it but Maple Hill is my overall favorite
Michigan: Flip City Disc Golf Park (4.84) - DG heaven
New Jersey: Stafford Woods (4.22) - I live very close, this one or Thompson?
New York: Brakewell Steel / Warwick Park (4.56) - top 10
North Carolina: Ashe County Park (4.47) - very nice
Ohio: Deis Hill Park (4.13) - nothing great in Ohio, I've crossed this state over 40 times
Oklahoma: The Lodge - Island Course (4.50) - played once
Pennsylvania: Muddy Run DGC (4.67) - great course but I like Deer Lakes more
Tennessee: Harmon Hills (4.73) - great
Vermont: Smugglers Notch - Brewster Ridge (4.63) - top 10
West Virginia: Whippin' Post (4.41) - hate it
Wisconsin: Rollin Ridge (4.x) - very nice

Idaho: Caliber DGC is 4.57 according to site and should be higher. If there was a proper ranking of best courses in the world, this would be near the top. Don't believe me? Guess you'll have to play it to find out;)

Latest posts